Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

I havent seen such drastic price drops in winter. I would have jumped on buying one if I did. I did see the rv show was 2 to 3k higher compared to earlier in winter which is why I didnt want to hear them claim they were at cost.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:48 PM

The only way these places lose money is if they are paying high interest rates on floorplan units. Companies like GE jumped from ~5.5% to 13% in 2008 which ruined a lot of companies. GE made out like bandits, seizing everything on wheels then selling at auction. The dealers were destroyed.

If the company is huge and has enough liquid cash all they lose is what they would have gained in a high-yield savings account, maybe 1.5% or 2

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Not sure where you all are looking but I searched hard in the states for my particular trailer.
I really wanted an excuse for a road trip to the states to buy it but the deal just wasn't there. and I looked everywhere. Some places down south had advertised prices higher than what I paid.
I even called and tried negotiating with a dealer in Idaho but couldn't swing a deal.
The amount I woulda saved would have been eaten up with travel costs.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There is MASSIVE markup in trailers.

A very good friend of mine with a dealership sold me a brand new full warranty 35' trailer for less than half sticker retail. It was well over 100% markup. He still made money.

Anyone telling people there is no money in trailers is lying to you, or being lied to and just passing on what they are being fed.

My cousin buys a new Montana every couple years, each one is a few feet longer and more loaded. After using it for a couple years he sells it here and makes several thousand $ selling it.

If you can buy from the States. When I bought my Corvette it was priced at $108,000 here. Every dealer here said they could not drop even a couple grand. I bought mine new from the States for $65,000 CAD including brokerage, taxes, new crash rated bumper foam and DRL install. We were just under par then.

I am waiting for our dollar to settle down before I buy anything big and new out of the States again. It will eventually.

I believe there is a huge market after buying my trailer in 2014. I paid 17500$ out of Idaho and my local dealer in montana was asking 23000$ for the exact same unit. All they wanted to do was trash every other brand but wouldn’t say why their product was better. I don’t mind if you believe your product is superior and you give examples as to why but if all you want to do is trash the competition without giving any reference to your own products quality, you lost my business!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Not a holiday trailer but back in 2009 or 2010 I was in the market for a new aluminum stock trailer.

I paid $6-$7,000 less for the same trailer at a dealer in SK than what the same make and model was quoted to me in Airdrie. Shop around.

I've had friends that have bought brand new fifth wheel RV's in dealer surplus auctions and paid 25-30 cents on the dollar compared to retail.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM

If you are looking at new trailers look at a new 'last year model' so a new 2018. You can get huge discounts - like half off sticker price -on these models. They just want to move them out and make room for the new 2019's.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Dealers get you on the extras such as Extended Warranty / Exterior Clear Coat Protection / Interior Fabric Protection....especially if you are financing. They say its only an extra couple dollars to payment but figure it out over the term. The dealers also make $$$ on the financing deal from the lender.

We paid cash for our new trailer a few years ago in month of May. At the end of the deal we put the max allowable amount the dealer allowed on our Credit Card for the points, paid out cash for the balance, then paid off the Visa on the due date. Could of went to the USA and saved a bit more but I prefer to support Alberta businesses. Gained a model year as well as manufacturer was building next years model.

Because of paying cash, we got extended warranty really cheap, exterior protection as well (trust me I seen the numbers) and then the dealership accidently did the Interior Protection pkg (fabric/leather/carpet) Scotch Guard as well but since we didn't ask/wanted it, they could not charge us for it when we come to pick up the trailer.

Priced out same trailer at 3-4 other dealers, BIG Variance on price. One dealer said they cant complete with USA dealers prices, and we said its not in USA, but an Alberta dealer and that you are like $10G + more than for just the trailer.

We been happy with our unit and the service at the dealership when needed. We bring it in every 2 years for the Exterior Protection coating reapplied.

As mentioned by others already, want to save money, buy a 2018 or 2017 new unit as dealers are clearing out for a lot less.

New is new. I am doing the same thing when purchasing vehicles. Saved lots of $$$$.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 PM

Now mind you if you are really serious about saving money, skip the RV, the tow vehicle and the campgrounds and just stay in a hotel like civilized people rather than pay thousands of dollars to hang out in a trailer park.

Tags
barter, discount, haggle, trailer