Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Alberta to Montana, Best route for pulling a trailer

I've never been to Montana and I am planning a trip there this summer. We will be leaving from Calgary area, our first stop will be Flathead lake near Kalispell. I was wondering which route is best for pulling a trailer. Google maps is telling me the fastest way is to go through Glacier park via Cardston however I'm thinking going through the Roosville crossing via Fernie might be an easier pull. Has anyone made this trip before any suggestions on which way is better?

Also any tips on good spots for Fishing or must see attractions in either the Flathead Lake, Glacier Park or Yellowstone Park areas would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM

My pick would be highway 3 west to Koocanusa, South across at Rooseville.

Keep in mind that Going to the Sun road is not open to vehicles towing trailers.

Have fun on your trip!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Although I haven't towed a trailer through either route, I have travelled both by vehicle/motorcycle....

I would think that if travelling with a trailer, you best bet may just be the Fernie route. From what I remember about going through Cardston, it's got some pretty good hills (bigger/badder than the Fernie route)

Just my $0.02

J.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
My pick would be highway 3 west to Koocanusa, South across at Rooseville.

Keep in mind that Going to the Sun road is not open to vehicles towing trailers.

Have fun on your trip!
I did not know that the GTTS was closed to vehicles towing trailers, I guess that makes my decision pretty easy, Thanks for the info!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post

Not quite, vehicle combinations over 21' and wider than 8' are prohibited. I went over Logan Pass from the Babbs side with a 16' gooseneck stock trailer and a single cab 1 ton yrs ago and it was pretty much tickety-boo. However the person who insisted it was a shortcut and we had better take it (The Old Man) took 3-4 hrs to start blinking again when we came out the other side.

I think we were a few feet longer than 21 foot and those old style old westcoast mirrors were definitely over 8'
Old 04-26-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Not quite, vehicle combinations over 21' and wider than 8' are prohibited.
My truck itself is actually too long according to the restrictions but I have been over twice with out grief from the staff.

Quote:

I think we were a few feet longer than 21 foot and those old style old westcoast mirrors were definitely over 8'
I'd say! Anybody that has never traveled this road is missing a neat driving adventure very close to home. I have heard a few older guys tell horror stories about traffic disasters that occured on that road before they implemented length restrictions.

If you decide to drive Going to the Sun, read what day is "get angry at pedal biker day". A few days a week during certain times they allow moron bikers to pedal in your way up the mountain. If the road is busy with oncoming traffic you will get stuck behind bikers for miles as you travel up the road.

Might not be so bad if the biker is dressed nicely and is a she.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM

Going through Roosville will probably be an easier pull. You could always go the bottom route through Maria's Pass instead of the Logan's.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM

x2 on firnie also.....
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 PM

Absolutely the Rooseville crossing.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Default route to Montana

South to Coutts or Del Bonita then south and west to Browning and over the Marais Pass maybe a little farther but best road, Have done it many times. Piker
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

It further around but check out the Libby dam enroute thru roosville to kallispell. Some neat little lakes along hi way 2 before you get to kallispell too.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Going to the Sun road may be a real circus this year and a short one at that . Rumor has it that due to economic cutbacks back by King Obama's crew there will be no snow removal on the pass this year . If true , it will make for a short travel window indeed .
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Fernie route is quick. I went that way in winter and the pokey person in front was driving 40km/hr. in the snow storm. There was a passing lane and they stayed in the passing lane. The car behind them was an RCMP officer... after 100 yards in the passing lane, blocking 15+ vehicles they were pulled over and given a ticket. Was very nice to see... passing lanes are there for a reason.

It is pretty much unsafe to pass anywhere else when pulling a trailer, even if there are dotted lines on that highway. Give yourself a little extra time and you won't be frustrated by the 20Km under the speed limit crowd.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Cardston/Peigan

We do that route quite regular pulling our 28 ft trailer. Go through Cardston and cross at Peigan and then take Duck lake Rd and go through Browning and then on to Kalispell. Road is not too winding and moves pretty quick. The hills along there are mostly long and not straight up like some closer to the pass. We have been going this way for years and no issues. Border crossing is usually pretty quiet too so quick crossing. We stay in Hungry Horse just outside Kalispell and on the edge of Glacier Park.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Where are you guys camping and exploring in that part of the world? Would like to make a trip down that way. Highlights of your trips?

Thx
Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Going-To-The-Sun-Road

This road is not open to trailers, plus you would not want to take one over it anyway! Go through Fernie and enjoy the Crow's Nest Past. I have a place in Whitefish and have been going down there for the last 40 years. We can always use more Canadian loonies to keep the economy going. Enjoy the Bulldog while you're there.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 AM

Just a side note - the fishing on flathead lake is fantastic...pulled some delicious trout up from about 120ft down that had been feasting on freshwater shrimp...delicious!!!!

If you have the option to setup camp around Hungry Horse and take a day trip up over the sun road with just your truck DO IT. The views are incredible and its a great drive up and over.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Where are you guys camping and exploring in that part of the world? Would like to make a trip down that way. Highlights of your trips?

Thx
Our plan is top spend 5 days on the east side of Flathead Lake, camping/fishing ect. Then we're heading to Yellowstone to spend a week at a RV Park just outside of West Yellowstone on a lake, do some more fishing, lots of days trips and hikes in Yellowstone Park. Then were heading up towards Hungry Horse to check out Glacier park for 5 days. I'm not sure what to expect yet but I'll post some highlights after our trip and let you know if theres any must see things or things to avoid.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM

We went to Whitefish/Kalispell for a weekend trip a few years back. On the way down we went This route (Cardston, Carway, Browning 482 km's)

And then came back This Route (Rooseville, Fernie, Crowsnest Pass...456 kms)

Either way is completely do-able with a trailer. The "Sun" road was closed when we went.

Some pics of along the way (This was in March)

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Double towing

Any one ever double tow trailers into Montana or see any one double towing?
Curious as Montana and Idaho its legal. As it would be nice haul the boat and fifth wheel to Idaho.

Tags
alberta, border, camping, montana, trailer