Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Default What would be a reasonable charge for RV or boat storage 40 min east of Edmonton

I live about 40 min east of Edmonton and am looking for ways to generate some revenue off the property. Wondering if there would be any interest in storage 40 min out and what a reasonable monthly rate would be. It is my residence so there would generly be someone on site.
Brad
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM

I currently pay 350 for the year fifth wheel is 5 minutes from home . I know my buddy who is in Edmonton pays 150 a month , ill stick to the 350 a year . But the place mine is housed is full , even after the guys expanded his area 3 times I bet there's 3 or 400 trailers and fifth wheels in there .
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM

i live in camrose and pay 25 a month for my outdoor stall to park the camper. gated and locked.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Sounds like there is a bit of a demand. Think $30.00 a month would be reasonable then? I was thinking if I could get 20 spaces rented out would give me some play money. Thanks for the info bbj. Anyone interested?
Brad
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM

You might want to check with the county etc before you start parking equipment out there. Very likely need some kind of permit or business license etc if you are going to have a bunch of items. If you are just doing 1 or 2 you would probably be ok without but it gets pretty obvious if you have 20 like you are talking about.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM

And don't forget the insurance.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Gone Fishing

Generally when someone pays for parking of an RV, they are paying for security. Depending on what type of security you are providing, should dictate the price people are paying.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Default parking

I pay 35 per month at Legal self storage
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 AM

We pay $200/yr for fully fenced storage by Alberta beach
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM

Make sure eash unit maintains proper insurance coverage while at your facility, the brother was parking his at a place outside Calgary where theft and break ins were getting out of hands, and because it was a "secure" place people were taking their coverage off for the storage months. And they had no coverage for loss and/or damages.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM

There is a huge demand for trailer storage.

Problem being, people pay more for convenience, 40 mins east of edmonton. Not really that accessible. basically that's 2 hours if someone comes out from edmonton, gets trailer and takes it home. Now multiply that by 2, since you have to empty the trailer also. Now every time someone wants to use their trailer, it takes them 4 hours just to get/return their trailer anytime they use it.

I'm not sure how much storage is required local to you, within 10-15 minutes, but I'd guess that the majority of locals either have an acreage or know someone that does.

If you're only looking to have maybe a dozen trailers, sure go for it, but remember insurance, security would probably eat up all your profits. Who's going to check on the place while you are gone? Most of the places around here have a security company visiting a couple times a day, plus are fully gated with card access and security cameras.

Oh yeah, we pay $79/month for a 80x10 slot = two travel trailers. And it's 5 minutes from our house.

Tags
boat, r/v, storage, trailer