Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Ya more pathetic i'd say. Web tough guys and no it all's that hide behind other names so they can get the pot sturring then join the bashing them selfs. Must have a lot of time on there hands.
Jaybull and argoguy,
I am new here but not new to forums. I did read the rules and it's against the rules to have 2 accounts. I don't appreciate the tone in some responses, like LOL... So I respond to them. If you can find any posts of mine that are ignorant or rude, please point them out to me and I'll apologize and ask the mods to remove them. And as for having lots of time on my hands, do a little research and see who has the time to post most often.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
I didn't know he was asking about a weatherby?If you like plastic junk then go out and get your self a tikka or savage.Most new guns shoot well so blah,blah,blah on that, if you like plastic chit, then go for it.Look into savages,stevens and the sako A7 all "tack drivers" but the plastic in my opinion makes them look and feel chitty.No plastic on my weatherby and it's a "tack driver".
Actually , one does not HAVE to go with synthetic and stainless rifles if one wants a Tikka or Savage.
FWIW, I would not buy a Weatherby, I've owned several over the years and they are highly over rated IMO.
But then , that is just my opinion, however I don't know if i would go so far as to say that Weatherbys are junk simply because I do not like them.

Savage and Tikka are hardly junk rifles, and you see a lot more of them in serious competition than you ever will Weatherby rifles........
Cat
Old 12-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
Jaybull and argoguy,
I am new here but not new to forums. I did read the rules and it's against the rules to have 2 accounts. I don't appreciate the tone in some responses, like LOL... So I respond to them. If you can find any posts of mine that are ignorant or rude, please point them out to me and I'll apologize and ask the mods to remove them. And as for having lots of time on my hands, do a little research and see who has the time to post most often.
Tonto.

I asked a simple question on people having 2 acounts . said nothing about you at all. But to be honest I could care less what you think.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM
sheephunter

I do find it funny that so many people malign Savage rifles on here. I got to do some shooting with Zeiss when they first brought their Rapid Z line out and all the test rifles were off the shelf Savages. We were shooting to 800 meters and the rifles where incredibly accurate. I'd have no issues owning one and I suspect I'll pick one up in the new year.

As for the plastic feeling guns...it is a matter of personal choice for sure but it doesn't make them any less of a gun....that's for sure! They shoot just as straight and are just as durable and are most definitely not junk...
Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I do find it funny that so many people malign Savage rifles on here......As for the plastic feeling guns...it is a matter of personal choice for sure but it doesn't make them any less of a gun....that's for sure! They shoot just as straight and are just as durable and are most definitely not junk...
I agree that savages are quite accurate off the shelf, but the fit/finish leaves a lot to be desired. I know most stainless steels can stain or even surface rust if abused, but savage is the only rifle brand I have seen with a truly pitted rusty stainless bore. When I spoke to a Canadian barrel maker and mentioned it, he said I wouldnt believe how many rusty "stainless" savage barrels he makes replacments for. As for plastic on rifles, in places I have no problem with the makers using plastic....however if you think plastic is as durable as a steel you are dreaming. Call stoeger and ask how many replacment shrouds they sold this year. Look how many Steyr professionals need new trigger guards/magazine wells or stocks. Talk to the shooting edge in Calgary about Glock pistols in any caliber with higher pressure than a 9mm. Plastic should not be used on any working/moving part of a firearm, at least in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Call stoeger and ask how many replacment shrouds they sold this year.
Last time I asked John about it, he said hardly any at all. Not sure who told you different...possibly John had it wrong???
Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Last time I asked John about it, he said hardly any at all. Not sure who told you different...possibly John had it wrong???
Yeah, hunterland must be sold out of their aluminum replacements because people just thought $75 was too cheap not to buy a replacement they dont need. And the dozen guys on CGN alone with broken shrouds were just lucky. But since John, who imports Tikka says they have no issues they must not.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Actually , one does not HAVE to go with synthetic and stainless rifles if one wants a Tikka or Savage.
FWIW, I would not buy a Weatherby, I've owned several over the years and they are highly over rated IMO.
But then , that is just my opinion, however I don't know if i would go so far as to say that Weatherbys are junk simply because I do not like them.

Savage and Tikka are hardly junk rifles, and you see a lot more of them in serious competition than you ever will Weatherby rifles........
Cat

I didn't mean all tikas and savages are junk ,I meant the plastic on them IMOA is junk and makes them feel cheap .My cuz just picked up a tikka today and I told him if you don't mind the plastic, thay are said to be fine guns.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
But since John, who imports Tikka says they have no issues they must not.
You were the one that suggested I ask him.....

No doubt a few have broke but it's not an epidemic.......seems to be countless guys on here that haven't broke them. Seems to me if anyone where going to break one, it would be Rocks....his looks fine.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You were the one that suggested I ask him.....
You're right, I should have said find out how many they actually have replaced... not how many he said he has.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You're right, I should have said find out how many they actually have replaced... not how many he said he has.
LOL...I thought I did...hardly any. I guess it's possible he's lying but I'm not about to accuse him.......

As for the dozen on CGN...I have to admit I'm not a regular there but I've seen reports of two or three but it's possible there have been more.

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-19-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
I didn't mean all tikas and savages are junk ,I meant the plastic on them IMOA is junk and makes them feel cheap .My cuz just picked up a tikka today and I told him if you don't mind the plastic, thay are said to be fine guns.
No,You Meant savages are Junk,because you and I both know they are!!!Tikka's I like,and would Trust them in the field,savage you could'nt pay me to hunt with one.And like you my prefernence is wood,but thats just our thing,alot of guys like plastic rifles instead.I just ordered a 240 wby euromark 2 weeks ago from the states,wont get it until March??? I cant wait!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGO GUY View Post
Tonto.

I asked a simple question on people having 2 acounts . said nothing about you at all. But to be honest I could care less what you think.
Your right you didn't "say" anything about me. You just quoted a post that suggested that I was using 2 names. My mistake. The only reason I am responding is you could care less.
I believe the comment you're looking for is "couldn't care less"
Old 12-19-2009, 06:38 PM

The tikkas shoot, nobody should have to argue that. I personally feel after owning 2 Steyr professionals in the past that ended up breaking. For me plastic on a part that is critical for the operation of the rifle is not going to happen. Luckily the shroud on a tikka doesnt affect the function of the rifle - still for my money I will stick to the all steel Sako counterpart.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:42 PM

As a friend of mine was fond of saying. "Accurate junk is just that. Accurate junk."

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2009, 06:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Luckily the shroud on a tikka doesnt affect the function of the rifle - still for my money I will stick to the all steel Sako counterpart.
LOL...plastic on the A7 too!

It's starting to show up everywhere...lol
Old 12-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
Your right you didn't "say" anything about me. You just quoted a post that suggested that I was using 2 names. My mistake. The only reason I am responding is you could care less.
I believe the comment you're looking for is "couldn't care less"
LMAO. I guess the first part is a sore spot with ya so I will move on.Thanks for the gramer help I will try better next time.

On the real topic I just bought my second Tika today in 300wsm to match the 270wsm. I have had great luck with the 270 so far.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:

The a-7's have plastic clips aswell??? I was wondering about that?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I meant the 75 or 85 series...not the a7s. The a7 is a overpriced tikka if you really want to argue with me.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
As a friend of mine was fond of saying. "Accurate junk is just that. Accurate junk."
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
The a-7's have plastic clips aswell??? I was wondering about that?
Yup.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I meant the 75 or 85 series...not the a7s. The a7 is a overpriced tikka if you really want to argue with me.
Okay, now you are getting personal...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Okay, now you are getting personal...
Sorry, I was just looking for toes to step on tonight.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
No,You Meant savages are Junk,because you and I both know they are!!!Tikka's I like,and would Trust them in the field,savage you could'nt pay me to hunt with one.And like you my prefernence is wood,but thats just our thing,alot of guys like plastic rifles instead.I just ordered a 240 wby euromark 2 weeks ago from the states,wont get it until March??? I cant wait!
Ok,Ok
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage1.jpg (119.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
if someone would offer you money to hunt with a savage you wouldn't take it????? Savages are fairly accurate guns, even the cheapo combo units shoot well. Sure they may not be a sub MOA tack driver, but if a 2 inch group isn't good enough for you to kill a deer than you are not much of a hunter. Chances are, it is the shooter not the gun that makes the difference in the field. And as Cat said, you see way more savages than weatherby's at competitions. Unless all those competition shooters are wrong and somehow are able to shoot tight groups with what you call "junk". My dads weatherby was a pile of crap. It wouldn't feed the next round unless you had the cartridge in perfect. Frequent jam's were also a major issue. He eventually got tired of it and sold it. And that was a $2000 gun. way overpriced rifles is all weatherby's are. Maybe years ago they were a good gun, but even the cheapest rifles nowadays shoot well.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Savage Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
if someone would offer you money to hunt with a savage you wouldn't take it????? Savages are fairly accurate guns, even the cheapo combo units shoot well. Sure they may not be a sub MOA tack driver, but if a 2 inch group isn't good enough for you to kill a deer than you are not much of a hunter. Chances are, it is the shooter not the gun that makes the difference in the field. And as Cat said, you see way more savages than weatherby's at competitions. Unless all those competition shooters are wrong and somehow are able to shoot tight groups with what you call "junk". My dads weatherby was a pile of crap. It wouldn't feed the next round unless you had the cartridge in perfect. Frequent jam's were also a major issue. He eventually got tired of it and sold it. And that was a $2000 gun. way overpriced rifles is all weatherby's are. Maybe years ago they were a good gun, but even the cheapest rifles nowadays shoot well.
Savages are very accurate,but they are junk.sure all rifles break down,but it happens more frequently with the savages than any other rifles.ask around,you get what you pay for.weatherbys are'nt over priced guns,look at the beautiful wood you get with them,plus alot of weatherby cartridges you can only get in weatherby rifles,unless you go custom.Weatherbys are'nt known for accuracy,because they were designed for velocity,and thats why many weathery cartridges out perform other cartridges that consist of the same caliber.In some cases there is no comparison.My 300 wby markv was made in germany and it will put 5 shots @ 100yds less than an inch group!!.I shot this smaller buck a month ago,Running full out at 250 yards with my 300 wby mag useing a 180 grain accubond.Weatherby cartridges and nosler bullets are the most deadly mix for big game animals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB,buck,2009,pic2.jpg (141.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by whitetail Junkie; 12-19-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM

47 locking lugs never appealed to me either.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM

I was very disapointed when I looked at the A-7.Looked like a toy and reminded me of hollow easter chocolate..
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
47 locking lugs never appealed to me either.
Or freebored chambers with a case that holds a gravel truck load of powder .
Cat
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Savages are very accurate,but they are junk.sure all rifles break down,but it happens more frequently with the savages than any other rifles.ask around,you get what you pay for.weatherbys are'nt over priced guns,look at the beautiful wood you get with them,plus alot of weatherby cartridges you can only get in weatherby rifles,unless you go custom.Weatherbys are'nt known for accuracy,because they were designed for velocity,and thats why many weathery cartridges out perform other cartridges that consist of the same caliber.In some cases there is no comparison.My 300 wby markv was made in germany and it will put 5 shots @ 100yds less than an inch group!!.I shot this smaller buck a month ago,Running full out at 250 yards with my 300 wby mag useing a 180 grain accubond.Weatherby cartridges and nosler bullets are the most deadly mix for big game animals!
I have asked around, everyone I talked to about the savages love them for the price. No one I talked too ever had an issue. And if all you want to pay for is fancy wood then be my guest. Any frequent shooter I have talked to would recommend a savage to anyone. I do not like the composite stalks much which is why I went with the Tikka T3 hunter and its walnut stock. I wouldn't call the others junk at all, They serve their purpose and are great quality for a great price. When I hunt I want 4 things in a gun: lightweight, smooth action, comfortable fit, and a good price. The Tikka and Savage I own fit all 4 perfectly. Dads weatherby on the other hand was: expensive, heavy, awkward, and the action was brutal with all the jam's. But it looked pretty, and in a 300 wthby was WAY overkill for deer and kicked like a mule. Any cartridge out there would have killed the deer in your scenario. Shot placement is key. Weight, action, and fit are more important than fancy wood and an extra 200 fps. You are better off saving the $1000 on the gun and put a $1000 scope on it.