Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Humane Dispatching

Usual far from the road pulling a sled.Space limited.Not interested with the hassel of carrying a pistol.I find the henry survival 22lr rifle works just find.The stock quite bulky, can be taken off now you have a 16in barrel and action, easily wrapped in the carry bag,with a couple of mags. Ideal for point blank dispatching.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:01 PM

Default handgun for dispatch

We will not have to worry, the feds want to take our handguns away now anyway. They do not believe we also may need them to deal with a bear or cougar on our lines.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM

At point blank a 22 short should work too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM

check out Chiappa's Little Badger fold up 22 or 22mag
Old 01-29-2019, 05:30 PM

If your going to dispatch them use a gun. A snare pole with locking snare is ok too.

I don't like seeing any other method to put a coyote down.

And for God sakes, no matter how you put them down, don't film it and put it on the internet.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
check out Chiappa's Little Badger fold up 22 or 22mag
This ^^^ 22 mag will drop a steer if placed correctly..

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Default dispatch

What ever you do do not drive over it 3-4 times with your truck for dispatch, use your friggin gun!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
If your going to dispatch them use a gun. A snare pole with locking snare is ok too.

I don't like seeing any other method to put a coyote down.

And for God sakes, no matter how you put them down, don't film it and put it on the internet.
Mums the word for sure in Alberta--If they knew I was an ex sealer,there probably would be a public lynching in the town sq. From time to time my friend trapper, will release a yote with rubs,fur not good,especially female with the idea for a good brude of pups next season.Never seen it done, the trapped yote vicious not giveing up wihout a fight.How he gets the wire off is beyond me.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
We will not have to worry, the feds want to take our handguns away now anyway. They do not believe we also may need them to deal with a bear or cougar on our lines.
The trapper not considered, in there "shotgun" aproach to firearm "management" They the deciders should spend a few nights alone camping in bear country, a few woffs and teeth clicking might change there minds.The black bear will kill you just because you are there----The grizzley is more sensible he will kill you for food.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Feds also have the tendency for Grandfathering though Big Grey, especially around firearms and their classes/class-licensing etc.

In my own opinion, even if some degree of a ban does get tabled and then pass, (at-least regarding any existing ATC's by Trappers) there's probably a very-good chance an already Authorized reason for carry will be up-held and permitted for that person to renew on afterward. That's what I think. Mine was recently approved & I'm grateful for it, but it surely wasn't a simple easy process to see through ... now that I was finally approved for it however, I really do believe having one in good standing will help in-regards to keeping it and to seeing one remain active going forward.

Likely, the guys that opt away from applying or ever seeing their application through because of paperwork & hoops involved could (later) come to regret not doing so. I know for myself anyway, the sidearm tucked against my hip and outta the way saves alot of hassle in heavy bush and thick snow-hung brush vs lugging a clumsy heavy rifle along. The hoops & hassle is worth it for those that really stand to benefit from an ATC.. no doubt about it
Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 PM

My thoughts to grey wolf. Only problem I have is if I come around a corner on my quad, and come face to face with either a griz or cougar I don’t think I’d have enough time to get my pistol out of the locked box attached to my quad and then remove the trigger lock if I was really in trouble.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
My thoughts to grey wolf. Only problem I have is if I come around a corner on my quad, and come face to face with either a griz or cougar I don’t think I’d have enough time to get my pistol out of the locked box attached to my quad and then remove the trigger lock if I was really in trouble.
said in fun...
You need a safety cage on your quad loaded with spikes sticking out all over. Then you just gear down and let 'em wrestle with the quad.
If ya can't hunt them you should be able to run them off at least.

A person/trapper should try mounting a really ear piercing screaming directional horn on the quad. The right sound waves will cause pain or distress.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
said in fun...
You need a safety cage on your quad loaded with spikes sticking out all over. Then you just gear down and let 'em wrestle with the quad.
If ya can't hunt them you should be able to run them off at least.

A person/trapper should try mounting a really ear piercing screaming directional horn on the quad. The right sound waves will cause pain or distress.
Ive done just that sort of thing with my foxpro , I still prefer to use my hand calls for preds but I use the foxpro in the mountains so if a big nasty comes in then at least it comes to the call instead of me .. and as a further detterant I down loaded 2 different police sirens on it that I can turn on and hopefully make him leave .. Havent needed it yet but you never know .
Old 01-31-2019, 09:53 AM

Default ATC handgun

Thought I saw something about no bullets in ATC approved handgun for trapline protection, however it must have been a typo, no one could be that stupid.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Humane dispatching

The whole purpose of the compact and easy to carry hand gun, is as it always was self defence.The idea of carrying a handgun with a trigger lock, and empty is absolutely ludicrous.I guided a lady in Northern Ont,bear camp who carried a 44mag rifle,Most who did I talked out of, but not her.A large black bear came in she dropped him in his tracks. My job to skin and quarter,I was amazed at the bullet damage---Not to worry the 44mag with the right hunting bullet,at close range, most likely only new one shot.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 AM

Default humane dispatching

wops NEED one shot
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
wops NEED one shot

No need to get racist