Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Powder coat bullets

I find myself powder coating a lot of cast bullets in calibers for pistol shooting. It seems to work very well with zero leading. No lube or gas checks just powder coat.
I have a m1 carbine that is a lot of fun and extremely accurate. I have been powder coating, pan lubing and gas checks for 110 grain bullets.
I'm thinking of dropping the lube all together and just powder coat/gas check them.
Anyone tried out powder coated bullets at rifle velocitys? Any issues?
Thanks for any insight.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM

Boogerfsry has been messing with powder coated rifle bullets fir some time now.
He gave me some to try in my 303’s some gas checked and some not.
Should be interesting
Cat
Old 02-26-2019, 09:28 PM

the only had 2 issues with pc rifle rounds.
the nose would end up oversize and it would be very difficult to chamber the resulting round, i ended up having to tape off my mold and spray it with a coat of high heat enamel to reduce the bore riding nose, after that everything was just ducky.
and i still needed to use gas checks, if i am running them through a sizer anyways, it was just as fast to tumble lube in 45/45/10
Old 02-27-2019, 02:35 PM

Likely need to make sure that your mould is casting at a size that will work with PC, or you'll wind up having to lube and size them anyway. And it isn't easy to get anything approaching an even thickness coating on a rifle bullet.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:51 PM

What do you consider rifle velocities? I've got a plain base 110gr. Mold for the 30 carbine if you'd like to try some, I bought it to make "bunny fart" loads for a 30-06. I don't usually try for max velocity as I shoot most of my cast bullets for fun with shoulder friendly loads. I've never had any leading issues yet but I've never tried to push a powder coated bullet past 2000fps either. I've had people tell me they do it without issue, I'll try it one day when I'm not so busy.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Update......

I am gas checking and powder coating 110 grain bullets without any lead issues so far. I'm using H110 powder and Tula small rifle primers. I haven't chronographed them yet. But i started with minimum charge data and worked up a few grains. No leading so far.
I powder coat then size .01 over with lee sizing die.
No lube

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Update......

I am gas checking and powder coating 110 grain bullets without any lead issues so far. I'm using H110 powder and Tula small rifle primers. I haven't chronographed them yet. But i started with minimum charge data and worked up a few grains. No leading so far.
I powder coat then size .01 over with lee sizing die.
No lube
.01 over? that's quite a bit!

how is accuracy? if you are having difficulty you may find it better at .002 or even a bit more oversized, I didn't start getting great results with any of my cast loads until I started sizing to the throat, in my 3030 that has meant .3115