Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman14 View Post
How is carson lake doing. Is the whole lake frozen yet?
shhhhhh... there is no fish in Carson
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 AM

I meant....all GOOD from there.

Wind affect ice forming, especially on the big lakes in Southern AB. Has to be a calm night with no wind and freakin cold to get a god crust on, then ice will form at 0.5" per day if it stays below -5 degrees until it hits 6-8", depending if there is sno cover of course.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
shhhhhh... there is no fish in Carson
?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 PM

drove out to fairfax today and it was open on one end and 3/4 of an inch at best... wouldent take my weight.. be a few days yet.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 PM

I was walking on a brookie lake on Tuesday. There was about 2 inches around the shore, and an inch and a bit further out. I didn't fish, but you should be able to walk wherever you wanted to now on that lake, and probably a few others too that I can think of.

Chris K
Old 11-13-2010, 07:30 AM

I'm going ice fishing!!!

I'm heading out to the Swan Hills. No keepers today, but just to get the itch off!

Stay safe everybody.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
I was walking on a brookie lake on Tuesday. There was about 2 inches around the shore, and an inch and a bit further out. I didn't fish, but you should be able to walk wherever you wanted to now on that lake, and probably a few others too that I can think of.

Chris K
Pretty sure that was the first lake we ice fished on last year in early Dec. Sounds like it might be on track to be the first one we hit again this year!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslack View Post
I'm going ice fishing!!!

I'm heading out to the Swan Hills. No keepers today, but just to get the itch off!

Stay safe everybody.

F*&% YOU!!!

that just jealousy. make sure to get some pics and post the first alberta fish through the ice.

be safe
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
Just to clear it up for the non-believers. The picture shows white ice.....it's white because I chipped it out with an axe.......
Look at what the axe head is laying on......that's right....it's magically floating on water. HA, that ice is absolutely crystal clear.

In any case, I'm out. Just thought I would give everyone a heads up. If ya research safe ice, 2 inches is what's needed to support a human.
When younger I too used to foolishly fish with 2 inches cause the books said... Then twice in a row we almost fell in. Very scary. You see while the spot you chipped out was 2 inches...ice closed to shore is thicker. Ice further out is thinner. Ice over rotting vegetation...not strong. Ice over a slight current, spring, trib, general lake movement...thinner. The other problem is weight distribution. Staying in one spot depresses the ice. Over time you create stress fractures...boom...ice cracks...you fall in. walking across or driving across ice still creates waves... The wave intersecting your buddy could cause enough stress fracturing to drop him in the lake. Also...remember...you catch a whomping huge trout...your buddy runs over to help...you both forget...2 inches is for one person...not two... Splash...who grabs who first and gets pushed under water in the panic? The thing about your research is the 2 inches is meant for traveling over...not stopped on. I would caution...especially newbies...wait for 4 inches. A fish is not worth leaving your kids without a daddy. 4 inches is coming fast enough.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Thats some good advice sundance, everybody be real carefull out there this season. Hope not to hear any reports of loved ones lost threw the ice this season.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 AM

I've gone through the ice... luckily in shallow water, but it was scary as hell. I certainly don't reccomend it.

Anyone know the ice situation on Wabamun and/or Jackfish lakes right now?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM

I made it out this morning.

First lake I hit was Edith Lake. Ice was 2 inches thick. Alot of small, stunted perch and 8 or so hand sized brookies.

I left as it started to rain at around 11am this morning. I went to check out another lake while I was in the area.

I checked out the Penn West Reservoir and it had about 1.5 inches of ice, no more.

I fished in 9 feet of water and no hit's or fished marked on the flasher.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Wow this thread is really making me want to get out on the ice and catch some burbot and lakers.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Driving On

Believe it or not, I can remember years ago driving on Carson Lake November 10th, 8-10 inches of ice, make you wonder where our climate is headed?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyP View Post
Believe it or not, I can remember years ago driving on Carson Lake November 10th, 8-10 inches of ice, make you wonder where our climate is headed?
Was that during the last Ice age? lol j/k
Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its Alberta man, +10 tomorrow - 20 the day after. Next week who knows.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Comparing a few years of variation in climate in a 4.5 billion year old planet. Scientists see a 500 year oscillation cycle but some think that CO2 has increased the upper scale. Definitely people arguing both sides...but clearly what irks me is when someone truly thinks the only information they need to prove global warming or cooling is a day, a week, a month, a few years of temperature fluctuations to "Believe".

I can remember a few years ago being the coldest year I have ever felt. I remember a few summers ago it being the warmest in a while. I remember this summer being the coldest ever. I see the current temperatures actually averaging out to "normal" average temperatures across Alberta. You look at the peak temperature in a day and go wow... Look at the actual hourly temperature data and you will see this is not summer with gradual warming during the day followed by gradual cooling. The warm peak is short lived.

As for the data proving global warming. Canada has only a few data recorders in the North...and those are in normally warmer areas. There are many flaws in the way the data is reported, recorded, processed and manipulated. Still...let's go nuts and have all of us give $20,000 per person to crush industry and jobs to make you feel better about what some are guessing to be "the sky is falling"... First line of defense is a great offense. Those that believe strongly in man made global warming is to stop driving, sell your car, put $50,000 into solar power on your roof. Only buy woll products from Alberta or cotton products if you must from the US. Drop your thermostat in your house to 16 and start wearing sweaters. Get ride of all TV's, radios, computers and other electronic stuff...residual electrical use is staggering in North America. Reuse, reduce and recycle everything. Sell your house and move into a more energy efficient apartment.

Still...nice to still be fishing open water.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM

....so how about ice fishing.....

Anybody else got out on the ice this weekend???

It was much softer today, no trout, 1 stunted perch.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM

I agree. The years definatly fluctuate from warm and cold but I do not think it is because of global warming. I remember two winters ago the ice on gull lake was 38 inches, which was the thickest i have seen in 8 years. Then last year the ice was 28 inches. Some years winter starts late and some years winter starts early and this year it is starting a little late but the cold weather is on its way. Can't wait to get on the ice. Good luck to everyone this hard-water season.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Has anyone checked on how PCR is comming, is the dock out??

I'd sure like to go with a seasoned ice fisher this year, ) would be the first hard-water for me in 15 years.. ( would be great if had a shack or tent as i do not do cold well, )
thanks all
RHF
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

I drove past Carolside Sunday and saw two men fishing from the dam on Berry Creek. No ice.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM

Supposed to drop this week boys, 10cm of snow aswell, best time of the year is coming.

Outdoor rink and ice fishing.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 AM

no ice at all on pcr. i was down there on saturday.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM

I was on the ice on Sunday, 2.5 " give or take, real sketchy, lots of air, by noon or so it was not safe at all!!!!
Landed a fish, the others landed more than me, but I landed one and thats enough!!
You could tell where the heavy guy was as his hole had all the water around it, LMAO sorry Carl!!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

LOL, I'm not heavy, I'm big boned!

It was creepy, feeling the ice slowly sink underneath my bucket. This coming cold snap should freeze things up nicely, as long as the snow doesn't pile too deep and insulate everything.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah it would be nice if the ice could build for a few days before any snow fell onto it. Its too bad it wouldn't have been cold enough for it to be snowing insted of raining, that ice may have lasted for the afternoon. Reguardless though, until we have at least 4" of good ice, you just keep your distance Carl...LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 04:17 PM

LOL, yeah i know the feeling I walked out on something that was really close to busting. And I'm only 170 lbs. It wasn't quite 2". Didn't fish, just testing.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Southern Alberta is getting hit by 2 different weather systems over the next week. HELL YEAH!! Let it snow and snow, and than snow some more. I'm definitely ready to get on the ice.

The wait is killing me
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Default edmonton area

Here around the edmonton area winter has officially arrived. Overnight Lows of -20's and daytime highs of minus ten. The ice has arrived on local area ponds, and they will freeze clear and blue and solid quickly. I cannot wait to get out......however I will......I have decided my first trip out will be December 18th.....the ice will be plenty thick by then and I will have nothing to worry about.....just have to try and find something to keep me busy for 4 weeks ... seriously guys...wait until its safe
Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM

As of today...Glemore reservoir is starting to get ice around the edges. Lake Sundance in Calgary is still open with waves lapping the shore. Hopefully the snow stops before it freezes so the ice is good for skating. Also less snow on the ice means the ice gets thicker...faster.