Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Default Got "Lucky" today........

Well, decided to get up early sat. morning and head out for a couple hours of coyote calling with the new Hellfire and new Remington Model Seven .223.
Got off the highway and snowshoed about 400 yards when I came across sign of coyotes digging at an old gut pile beneath the snow. Set the caller and decoy up next to the digging and sat next to a small tree looking down wind across a replanted clearcut full of 4 foot high replants and willows. Not the best view but it was all I had....Tried "Locator howls" followed by "dying Jack" then "pup in distress". At about the 30 minute mark I saw movement exactly down wind of the call! Slowly the coyote materialized into focus staring at the decoy. As I raised my rifle up, ever so slowly, he immediately picked me off and spun around. Made a mouth howl and he stopped. Threw a Winchester 45 gr, white box at him and it was game over for "Lucky"! There was a second coyote with him but did not see him until he hit warp drive.
"Lucky" appeared to be in excellent health, not thin, good teeth. Post mortum dump was large! Last seasons pup I would guess. Appeared to walk/trot normal..........He only had 3 paws. Front stub was healed just fine with only a dew claw left! Trap, maybe!? He had a fox power snare embedded into his neck as well!! This guy was one tough hombre!
"Lucky" survived a power snare and broke it off, had a amputation at some point in his life, then died of lead poisoning. Today was not his day!
One shot, one kill for the rem seven. Good day!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Nicely done
Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Default Got "Lucky"

Looks like you did him a favor. Good job!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM

Good stuff.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM

I went out this morning as well. First stand nothing. Second stand parked my vehicle and got on a line that seismic went through on so it was easy walking. Got down by a little lake and had to walk through nut deep snow to get to the edge of the lake. Turned on the fox pro and it wasn't two minutes a big yote came out from the east at a full run.. I was surprised how it was staying on the top of the snow. I let it get to about 75 yards and smacked it in the shoulder with the 22-250. Those 50 gr vmax sure can make a mess when you hit bone. Third stand I was sitting at the edge of a field and there were a few sled tracks going across it. Turned on the fox pro and about 5 minutes later I looked to my Left and a big yote was standing along the fence line looking at me. I knew if I turned I would be busted so I tried a one handed shot off my trigger sticks. Clean miss at about 250. Fourth stand and 1/2 mile walk in snow past my knees had me soaking with sweat. Turned on the fox pro and had one yapping in the bush but he never did come out. Must have burned about 5000 calories walking through that snow. That was enough walking for me today. Maybe next time I will get a little smarter and take snow shoes.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM

Nice Brian.......................like your snowshoes too.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Where a bouts were you hunting. i lost 2 this year in snares. Not sure if the fire cloged the cam loc or if it was just a bad catch. Interesting this one has it around his neck and he wasn't dead from it.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Good stuff!!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I went out this morning as well. First stand nothing. Second stand parked my vehicle and got on a line that seismic went through on so it was easy walking. Got down by a little lake and had to walk through nut deep snow to get to the edge of the lake. Turned on the fox pro and it wasn't two minutes a big yote came out from the east at a full run.. I was surprised how it was staying on the top of the snow. I let it get to about 75 yards and smacked it in the shoulder with the 22-250. Those 50 gr vmax sure can make a mess when you hit bone. Third stand I was sitting at the edge of a field and there were a few sled tracks going across it. Turned on the fox pro and about 5 minutes later I looked to my Left and a big yote was standing along the fence line looking at me. I knew if I turned I would be busted so I tried a one handed shot off my trigger sticks. Clean miss at about 250. Fourth stand and 1/2 mile walk in snow past my knees had me soaking with sweat. Turned on the fox pro and had one yapping in the bush but he never did come out. Must have burned about 5000 calories walking through that snow. That was enough walking for me today. Maybe next time I will get a little smarter and take snow shoes.
Sounds like you had a great Day! Congrats. Snow was terrible today. Had to use the snowshoes on top of skidoo tracks or else up to the crotch! Friend of mine is using back country cross country skis. They look more like modern down hills (wide) as opposed to the traditional slims. He says they work great off trail. Thinking about getting a set to speed things up and save on the sweat followed by freezing shortly after starting a set.....
Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Where a bouts were you hunting. i lost 2 this year in snares. Not sure if the fire cloged the cam loc or if it was just a bad catch. Interesting this one has it around his neck and he wasn't dead from it.
shot 2 with snares around their necks last year , escapees from some where .
Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 PM

"Post mortum dump..." haha!

That thing had been through the ringer.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Sounds like quite a few chew the snares off. I check mine every day and still had a couple get away and was surprised. That can't be good for the teeth
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Well, decided to get up early sat. morning and head out for a couple hours of coyote calling with the new Hellfire and new Remington Model Seven .223.
Got off the highway and snowshoed about 400 yards when I came across sign of coyotes digging at an old gut pile beneath the snow. Set the caller and decoy up next to the digging and sat next to a small tree looking down wind across a replanted clearcut full of 4 foot high replants and willows. Not the best view but it was all I had....Tried "Locator howls" followed by "dying Jack" then "pup in distress". At about the 30 minute mark I saw movement exactly down wind of the call! Slowly the coyote materialized into focus staring at the decoy. As I raised my rifle up, ever so slowly, he immediately picked me off and spun around. Made a mouth howl and he stopped. Threw a Winchester 45 gr, white box at him and it was game over for "Lucky"! There was a second coyote with him but did not see him until he hit warp drive.
"Lucky" appeared to be in excellent health, not thin, good teeth. Post mortum dump was large! Last seasons pup I would guess. Appeared to walk/trot normal..........He only had 3 paws. Front stub was healed just fine with only a dew claw left! Trap, maybe!? He had a fox power snare embedded into his neck as well!! This guy was one tough hombre!
"Lucky" survived a power snare and broke it off, had a amputation at some point in his life, then died of lead poisoning. Today was not his day!
One shot, one kill for the rem seven. Good day!

Nicely done. Where could I look at buying a pair of snowshoes like those? I'm in the market right now and want some old school traditional style big ones that will keep me afloat in deep powder.

Again, well done!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Gone Hunting

well done!! I like the rifle. That seven should be a near perfect coyote gun in .223

I didn't think anyone used the old style snowshoes anymore. I have a pair, I haven't used in year, but if I were going out now, I'd be tempted to dig them out of the shop.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger woods View Post
Nicely done. Where could I look at buying a pair of snowshoes like those? I'm in the market right now and want some old school traditional style big ones that will keep me afloat in deep powder.

Again, well done!
Tiger,
Try Canadian Tire. They have the same shoe only the lacing is synthetic. I had leather bindings on mine but changed them out to QVC ratchet, with crampons bindings.. Bought them at CT $49. Big improvement to old time leather bindings. You could try "Faber" or "QVC" online to see what they have. Canadian companies.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
well done!! I like the rifle. That seven should be a near perfect coyote gun in .223

I didn't think anyone used the old style snowshoes anymore. I have a pair, I haven't used in year, but if I were going out now, I'd be tempted to dig them out of the shop.
Redfrog,
I purchased the Model Seven specifically for a light weight, winter, toting rig. Very pleased with it. Love the way it fits. Topped it off with the Nikon C/S bdc circles(apertures), not cross hairs. Target acquisition is fast and it payed off with "Lucky" as he was moving as fast as his 3 little paws would carry him!
Get those old school shoes out. Love mine. They are light and I find personally, that they are much more quiet then modern/high tech shoes.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sounds like quite a few chew the snares off. I check mine every day and still had a couple get away and was surprised. That can't be good for the teeth
Seems like the snares are not being anchored good enough. Fox are really too light of an animal to fight a snare good, unless a power snare. When I taught the trapping course we didn't encourage fox snares. I always anchored my coyote snares with several wound up(8)strands of baler wire or the snare itself anchored to very stout trees or posts. Never lost a yapper except to trap thieves.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Gunner Sarge: That's what they call the Alberta warrior wolf. They come with their own free snare lock.
There was a time when each snare had to have a tag of the trappers number on it. At minimum, then the trapper that was losing coyotes could be informed of more approved ways of anchoring a snare.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Seems like the snares are not being anchored good enough. Fox are really too light of an animal to fight a snare good, unless a power snare. When I taught the trapping course we didn't encourage fox snares. I always anchored my coyote snares with several wound up(8)strands of baler wire or the snare itself anchored to very stout trees or posts. Never lost a yapper except to trap thieves.
At first glance I thought he had a picture cord rabbit snare around his neck but upon a closer look I realized it was oval in shape and much tighter weave than picture wire. I would guess the diameter to be approx 1/16". The power spring was still attached to the wire and embedded into his throat.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Gunner Sarge: That's what they call the Alberta warrior wolf. They come with their own free snare lock.
There was a time when each snare had to have a tag of the trappers number on it. At minimum, then the trapper that was losing coyotes could be informed of more approved ways of anchoring a snare.
Red,
There is no doubt that "Lucky" was a WARRIOR! I moose hunted an area this year that had hundreds of KMs of former logging roads criss crossing the hill sides. Every single trail or path off these roads had Coyotes snares set in them. The trapper knew his business. Minimal fencing with the snare set dead centre on the path. Very difficult to even see the snare. Talked to him one day. He told me he had lost approx $1000 worth of pelts and gear to thieves.......The biggest coyote this year for him was 55 lbs!!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Smile

Just curious Gunner, what did you pay for the hellfire, they want 500$ in my neck of the woods---southeastern AB. I think it's a bit high.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Just curious Gunner, what did you pay for the hellfire, they want 500$ in my neck of the woods---southeastern AB. I think it's a bit high.
Just checked my bill; $379. Cabelas has it for $369 online. I bought at a local small guy/good old boy store, (I'm stationed in NL) any problems with anything I buy there, firearms included, is exchanged there. Not returned to the factory for warranty.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Nicely done
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up hellfire

Thanks for reply Gunner, as I suspected our area price is much to high.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Good stuff ... Another one down.... Too many more still to go.