Default Bang Wars in Olds

Well guys, I guess you asked for it.
http://www.mountainviewgazette.ca/news2.html

http://www.mountainviewgazette.ca/news1.html
Grizz
Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I am a member and I don't understand your comment. Are you a member? If you are, have you heard the gravel trucks and quarry machinery? These are louder than almost anyhing that is shot there and it is around all day everyday.
I think a few folks got into a pizzing match and this is the result. Either way I don't think I will renew next year. I may not bring alot of cash into their economy but I try to fill my truck and grab a bite to eat when I roll thru to help out the local economy. I'll not put my cash where I'm not wanted.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM

I think its an issue of locals used to use the range and it was a small little club but now membership has ballooned and mostly from out of the area and thats got a few feathers ruffelled,
Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
I think its an issue of locals used to use the range and it was a small little club but now membership has ballooned and mostly from out of the area and thats got a few feathers ruffelled,
I used to be a member, when it first began, but it's too much hassle and expensive to bother with now. Besides that, it's an eyesore. Anybody who doubts that, check out the Rocky range. You can't turn a corner grocery store into a supermarket, without push back, and that's what's happening. There were complaints of people shooting before sunrise and after dark. Now that council has been forced into some sort of action, the problems with this one range are going to dictate a course of action for the other three ranges, in the County , as well. In the end, the MVCM are gonna lose, which I see as really too bad.
Grizz
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM

So does anyone have contact info for Rocky?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 AM

The local membership used to take care of the upkeep of the club but since the takeover, that won't happen any more. It's too bad as it was a great place to go and a cheap club to belong to for handgun requirements.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Default rocky gun club

http://rockygunclub.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
So does anyone have contact info for Rocky?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks Kev.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I used to be a member, when it first began, but it's too much hassle and expensive to bother with now. Grizz
I am confused as to how you figure the membership fee of $50.00 at MVMA is too expensive, yet the yearly membership at Rocky at $75.00 is cheaper????? But if you are happy at Rocky that is great!!

I think it is also a real shame that in an age where firearms owners are an endangered species, some of the old members are trying to help "poison the well" so to speak.

If the MVMA range does get closed down, it will just further the demands on any other range in the area within reasonable driving distance.
This additional burden of membership will have the same effect on any club.

Recently the CFC has been making life difficult for owners of restricted firearms who do not have club affiliation, basically trying to force owners who may not have time to shoot to dispose of their firearms or join a club in order to retain them. If all the clubs cap membership alot of folks will be put into the postion of having to dispose of their guns, which plays nicely into the antiguns masterplan.

I think that the past executive who opted to yak to the press have done a MAJOR disservice to the MVMA AND the local gun culture in general.
This petty shooting each other in the foot does nothing to help anyone except those who are trying to disarm us all.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 PM

What do you mean by eyesore? When were you there last? I thought the new sheds with concrete benches etc. were a pretty good improvement. Why would you knock a local range that you can drive to in 10-15 minutes? There are some issues with too many members etc., but I don't think that pushing the Rocky range is any way to help. Always easier to b*#$% on the computer than actually try and help though I guess!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solothurn View Post
" . . . This petty shooting each other in the foot does nothing to help anyone except those who are trying to disarm us all."
x2!

GW

Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Default To bad some feel this way about fellow shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by solothurn
" . . . This petty shooting each other in the foot does nothing to help anyone except those who are trying to disarm us all."
Exactly

When I grew up on our farm in SK I hunted and did a lot of shooting with my father, I was to young to get an FAC so it was all in my fathers name but my enthusiasm caused him to get more into the sport as it was something we both enjoyed and could bond over in the tumultuous teenage years. At the time I was into the fight against C-68 and did my share of letter writing and doing the little I could to preserve our shooting sports.

Then I left home and because I was no longer on my own property I got completely out of shooting for about 7 years. Had no idea where firearm politics where headed or what was new in the shooting world, was quite simply out of touch and really didn't care.

In 2005 I decided to get back into the sport and got my RPAL and a couple rifles. Been into the sport again and really enjoy it, may hunt big game again for the first time in over 10 years this fall.

However if the MVMA doesn't allow me to shoot there then my options really drop. APRA never even gave me the courtesy of a return email or phone call to my inquiries, TSE is convenient but pricey and limited to 50 meters. The Sibbald Flats public range is often crowded and sometimes downright dangerous.

With the increasing costs of the sport it really would not take much to get me right out of the sport altogether. If I don't have access a reasonably priced range I may as well sell my firearms, stop caring about hunting and firearm politics and spend more time playing Xbox.

I am 31 yrs old now so I have about 40 years to spend hunting and shooting. If you don't want me in your sport then let me know and I will enjoy the outdoors by getting back into rockclimbing and skiing, its a much cheaper and less legal hassle.

Last edited by surfclod; 09-19-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spleling
Old 09-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
Exactly

When I grew up on our farm in SK I hunted and did a lot of shooting with my father, I was to young to get an FAC so it was all in my fathers name but my enthusiasm caused him to get more into the sport as it was something we both enjoyed and could bond over in the tumultuous teenage years. At the time I was into the fight against C-68 and did my share of letter writing and doing the little I could to preserve our shooting sports.

Then I left home and because I was no longer on my own property I got completely out of shooting for about 7 years. Had no idea where firearm politics where headed or what was new in the shooting world, was quite simply out of touch and really didn't care.

In 2005 I decided to get back into the sport and got my RPAL and a couple rifles. Been into the sport again and really enjoy it, may hunt big game again for the first time in over 10 years this fall.

However if the MVMA doesn't allow me to shoot there then my options really drop. APRA never even gave me the courtesy of a return email or phone call to my inquiries, TSE is convenient but pricey and limited to 50 meters. The Sibbald Flats public range is often crowded and sometimes downright dangerous.

With the increasing costs of the sport it really would not take much to get me right out of the sport altogether. If I don't have access a reasonably priced range I may as well sell my firearms, stop caring about hunting and firearm politics and spend more time playing Xbox.

I am 31 yrs old now so I have about 40 years to spend hunting and shooting. If you don't want me in your sport then let me know and I will enjoy the outdoors by getting back into rockclimbing and skiing, its a much cheaper and less legal hassle.
There is lots of crown land out west with which you can range your firearms whats the big deal....
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
There is lots of crown land out west with which you can range your firearms whats the big deal....
Hmmmm.

That may be, until the hikers and locals start lodging complaints about being shot at, although you're actually nowhere near them, but they heard the shots. This from the influx of target shooters whom have all been driven from safe, controlled and organized clubs like the MVMA. I imagine you won't be too happy that your taxes went up as there won't be many road signs left that you can read for the bullet holes.

If I was hanging a target to sight in my hunting rifle, three shots, once a year just before the season starts that might be fine. Many of us enjoy shooting as a sport and it is getting harder and harder as more and more facilities are being driven away. Odd, as I would think the general public would rather us be in a safe, purpose built facility in a controlled environment with strict rules on conduct, than a free for all on public land because there are no ranges left. I'm sure it'll go over well! We've all seen how well people clean up after themselves at Sibbald public??? From the benches, you have to walk 50 yds. before your shoes touch dirt. Not to mention the massive amount of crap that people choose to make a target of. Try not to breath if you kick up some dust... Next thing you know there will be no shooting on crown land!

This reminds me alot of the people that buy a cheap house near the airport and complain about the noise??? Next thing you know to leave Edmonton, they have to drive halfway to Calgary to catch a flight to Calgary and can't figure out why. Oh wait, that already happened. Maybe Olds will get the "new" Calgary International Airport where the range is now?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:28 PM

If you can't 'find' a range or public lands to shoot at, try joining:

1. a Rod & Gun or Fish & Game club that has its own range,

AND

2. one of the many organized shooting associations that operate in Alberta.

This will give you and your friends access to shooters who take their hobby seriously, and who have joined their talents and resources to ensure they have a decent place to shoot and compete.

The Metallic Silhouette folk, the F-class people, and the IPSC bunch should be happy to meet you at one of their training events. Others too.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
" . . . The Sibbald Flats public range is often crowded and sometimes downright dangerous. . . . "
A-gree! If you value your life, I'd stay away from there ^

Give the CDTSA (Shepard Range) some thought. I've been a member there for almost ten years now. I enjoy the range and the people.

Link; http://www.cdtsa.org/

GW

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
If you can't 'find' a range or public lands to shoot at, try joining:

1. a Rod & Gun or Fish & Game club that has its own range,

AND

2. one of the many organized shooting associations that operate in Alberta.

This will give you and your friends access to shooters who take their hobby seriously, and who have joined their talents and resources to ensure they have a decent place to shoot and compete.

The Metallic Silhouette folk, the F-class people, and the IPSC bunch should be happy to meet you at one of their training events. Others too.
You might have missed something... That's what we've done?

MVMA= Mountain View Marksman's Association (Olds)- the "range" in question

I am a member and it appears Surfclod is as well. For me, there is nothing other than the MVMA within reasonable driving distance. Contrary to the somewhat biased article, the facility is very nice, clean, safe, organized and the executive is striving to make it even better with ongoing improvements.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
The problem there is if you want to shoot restricted firearms, shooting them on crown land will cause you ALL KINDS of legal issues if you get caught.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the "journalist" and I use the term very loosely, chose to run his very biased article with only 1 side of the story. Sort of reminds me of Cukier and the rest of the anti gun crowd. Any responsible jounalist would have held the article back from print until the opposing party could respond. Being as the current president was out of town for the 1 day when this clown called and did not return the call immediately, the journalist opted to run the story with the no comment from MVMA.
Knowing that Joe HAS contacted the "journalist" makes me now wonder if the MVMA will get equal press? I am not holding my breathe here.

Personally I think if Combs and Boger were a tad more concerned about the club, and ALOT less bitter about being voted out of office they would NOT
have sought out the media as their soap box.

The fact that the " govenment fellow" meaning the CFC range inspector HAS recently approved the range for use in its current condition kind of speaks for itself.
We presented the "tube" idea to the CFC and he laughed and said "you ARE joking, right??"

Grass WILL be reestablished once all the grader work is finally completed.
I guess neither of these outspoken soap box clowns has even been around a site being developed. You do not get eveything all done overnight, it takes time and money to complete any major project.

The fact that there are more members from Calgary than in Olds is not brain surgery, there are more people in general in Calgary than in Olds, so to claim that 60 Calgary members came to the AGM is stacking is crap, just shows that apparently more Calgary members are willing to drive an hour away to have a voice in their clubs operation and decision making.

I noted at the last AGM Combs and Boger were NOT present to voice any of their concerns to the executive. I guess they prefer the media.

If the executive at the time the property was procured had been thinking clearly, or at all, they would NEVER have signed a deal with the county agreeing to sell the property back to the county in the future for the same price the club paid for it. Guess what, since the club purchased the property, property values have sky rocketed, but the MVMA can NOT make use of this increase in value because of the decisions of the very people who now are attacking the MVMA in the media.

Being as close to town as the club is, town expansion was imminent at the time the MVMA purchased the current land and at some time the club will be forced to move I expect. With the cost of land ever increasing to sign a deal with the county where the current property is not allowed to increase in value, thereby depriving the club of potential funds from 1 land sale in order to purchase another location seems to me to be rather odd, certainly NOT good management.

It kind of makes me wonder what their agenda is?????

Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM

For those who have not been o the range recently, the new rifle sheds are up, the concrete benches and all in place and I just got back from the range from installing the new height adjustable stools at each bench

Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
For those who have not been o the range recently, the new rifle sheds are up, the concrete benches and all in place and I just got back from the range from installing the new height adjustable stools at each bench
Thank you very much. As a whole the new rifle bays are really nice.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM

There is still more to do, we want to insulate the sheds in order to keep the sound down a bit inside the sheds, as they echo pretty bad right now, and we want to put reverse peaks partially on the open side to help shade the benchs from the sun, as well as another shed for the 300 so the last 3 benches can be installed.
But there is only so much time and money available, so we do things as we can.