Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 07:53 PM

Default City of Edmonton avoided a strike with CSU 52

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/nhl-and-...rces-1.6808037

This one came close. Shame when it comes to the wire but better than a strike.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-14-2024, 08:37 PM

nope I like strikes
put the unions in their place they have almost total control of the govt and we need to change that
Old 03-14-2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
nope I like strikes
put the unions in their place they have almost total control of the govt and we need to change that
X2! They are nothing but a bunch of thugs!
Old 03-14-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
nope I like strikes
Unions have their place in a capitalistic society… full stop. If labour unions did not exist we would be living under communism doctrine. Go ahead if you dare.

Current governments are testing the waters.

Unions are the last line of defence in ensuring the rich temper their greed off the backs of the clock punching work force. This is a big statement and must be considered with current events.

The work force will collapse if cost of living exceeds earnings.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
Unions have their place in a capitalistic society… full stop. If labour unions did not exist we would be living under communism doctrine. Go ahead if you dare.

Current governments are testing the waters.

Unions are the last line of defence in ensuring the rich temper their greed off the backs of the clock punching work force. This is a big statement and must be considered with current events.

The work force will collapse if cost of living exceeds earnings.
Ummm...aren't unions run basically like a communist population would be? Lol
Your post is surely in jest?
Old 03-14-2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/nhl-and-...rces-1.6808037

This one came close. Shame when it comes to the wire but better than a strike.
Your link is incorrect, but yes, too close.

While I'm no fan of being put up against the wall, the employees were in the right here, I think.
7% over the last 5 years is kind of a slap in the face.
I think if the city offered 10% to close, it would have been over weeks ago.
If the City didn't plan for 2% per year in raises, then that's bad management. Especially when council just approved another 2.5% for themselves this year.
Perhaps if we didn't blow $82 million on reject buses, $100's of millions on bike lanes that few people use, and billions on the LRT system that will never, ever generate a nickel of net revenue, we'd have a few bucks to cover inflationary raises for the people that help the city run.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Ummm...aren't unions run basically like a communist population would be? Lol
Your post is surely in jest?

one without the other would be crap but i think at some point along the line you can agree with the general sentiment that whether we like it or not, unions have become one of a few last lines of defense towards a total race to the bottom..
Old 03-15-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
nope I like strikes
Public service strikes typically result in the general public suffering most of all. Remember that teacher strike in the early 00s? Kids, parents, etc all were the biggest losers there.

At the end of the day, with all the money our governments will spend aimlessly on, wages for employees are one of the better line items: this is money paid to people in our community, who then spend that money in our community, providing economic bonus to local businesses alike. Better than say like the other poster mentioned, $80,000,000+ on electric busses to some company in California, or paying an international management consulting firm $400/hr per consultant that don’t live here to create some meaningless reports.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
X2! They are nothing but a bunch of thugs!
Agree.

Can you imagine if Gil wins the dipper race and then becomes premier

I wonder what they agreed to that avoided the strike.

OP: I get a NHL article when I click your link.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacrds View Post
one without the other would be crap but i think at some point along the line you can agree with the general sentiment that whether we like it or not, unions have become one of a few last lines of defense towards a total race to the bottom..
I have to agree with this.

Unions often set the bar for wages/benefits in many sectors in this province.
If they didn’t, the government/companies would have zero problem offering bottom of the barrel wages right across the board which would have a trickle down effect on our economy IMO.

Some workers might leave the industry too if they can’t make a go of it and services would be hurt possibly longer term with a shortage of workers.

I agree that it does suck when the strikes happen though for people affected by workers being off the job. I’m glad they came to an agreement.

As has been said already, workers wages should be the least of city council’s worries with the money they waste….
Old 03-15-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacrds View Post
Nope. Don't agree at all.
Unions had their place and time. Competition for skilled labour is now so high that being in a union holds some workers back, wage wise.
Sky high wages across the board are what's leading to more automation and labour outsourcing, which hurts all workers.
Companies will always look for ways to turn a higher profit.

I have worked both union and non-union and I can tell you first hand that labour unions are killing the little man.
Small businesses can't compete with union wages as they don't have giant gov't subsidized projects to keep them going.
Union-built projects also usually cost more, which is mainly driven by higher wages. This in turn gets passed onto the consumer, and then the consumer needs to make more in order to afford daily necessities.
So begins the upward spiral to the bottom.

So no, I don't agree, and in fact think the opposite.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I have to agree with this.

Unions often set the bar for wages/benefits in many sectors in this province.
If they didn’t, the government/companies would have zero problem offering bottom of the barrel wages right across the board which would have a trickle down effect on our economy IMO.

Some workers might leave the industry too if they can’t make a go of it and services would be hurt possibly longer term with a shortage of workers.

I agree that it does suck when the strikes happen though for people affected by workers being off the job. I’m glad they came to an agreement.

As has been said already, workers wages should be the least of city council’s worries with the money they waste….
This would be true if it was a monopoly. But with all business, there's always someone willing to pay more. Supply and demand.
There's really no other company in my industry that is unionized, so they aren't really a worry. Still, if I were to offer welders $30 an hour, I'd be standing at the door twiddling my thumbs till I go broke.