Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Default Hunting Stabilizer

Looking at putting a new stabilizer on my hunting bow. Anyone have any suggestions on brand and size?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM

I like the axion stuff and I would personal stick to one 6" or under for hunting.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Small and light. On the other hand, shoot without a stab and see how it goes...just maybe you'll forego the stab?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Small and light. On the other hand, shoot without a stab and see how it goes...just maybe you'll forego the stab?
small and light defeats the purpose of a stabilizer. If you want vibrations reduction just get a cheap limbsaver. Checkout the B-stinger sport hunter stabilizers, they have 3 - 1 oz weights. I run 10" bar up front 4 oz and a 8" back bar with 3 oz's
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Default Stab

I think the short ones are pretty useless other than absorb a bit of vibration. You want your stabilizer to decrease your pin float so I would get at least a 10-12" one with around 9-11oz. of weight, still short enough to move around in the woods. Cheers Roscoe
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytAlpha35 View Post
small and light defeats the purpose of a stabilizer. If you want vibrations reduction just get a cheap limbsaver. Checkout the B-stinger sport hunter stabilizers, they have 3 - 1 oz weights. I run 10" bar up front 4 oz and a 8" back bar with 3 oz's
I like the rack on the animal, not the bow

To each their own...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 AM

JMHO on both points above...fact is the longer the stab ...the better one can lock in the pin on the x...without thought of noise or vibration reduction...fact also is who wants to run thru the bush with a two foot stab on their bow...

Even a foot long stab will be a hinder in the woods...not so bad in blinds or stands...

For hunting I like the Axion or KTECH stabilizers...

Both of these stabilizers are heavily weighted or adjustable..and can vary from 2-7" for hunting

http://www.axionarchery.com/Products/Stabilizers.aspx
http://www.ktechdesigns.com/jzcart/index.php?cat=110

For hunting I like the shorter stabilizers...Now personally I took a three inch and 12" stabilzer and shot them both for groups...In my case using a 12" stabilizer did NOT improve my shooting enough to warrent all the xtra weight and hinderance of a long stab in the woods...

Now the shorter 3" stab effect is minimal as a stabilizer but still works with my form better with than without...also the 3" and harmonic dampener in the stabilizer cuts all vibration to bow reducing noise and also assists in any hand torque in situations...

Some say any stab under 6" is useless as a stabilizer...maybe for them but not everyone...some come so dependant practicing with a long stab that they cannot shoot without one...

I get a kick out of the shooter that buys a bow because it is so light...than throws on a two pound 16 inch stab on it...

Personally I chase elk thru the brairs and the bushes where the rabbits wouldnt go so the shorter stab suits me perfect without added weight.

Again it is pending on each shooter, what is a must for some, others may not need...personal preferance and common sence plays..

Try several and see for yourself what is the best option for you is the best suggestion.

JMHO
Neil
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 PM

Default choices

So Neil as a beginer likely just shooting at a bag target for most of my shooting not likely ever to hunt with it, how long a stabilizer should I get? FS
Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
So Neil as a beginer likely just shooting at a bag target for most of my shooting not likely ever to hunt with it, how long a stabilizer should I get? FS
For target or 3D I would go with about a 18-24 inch stab, for hunting I would go with 8-12 inch.

LC
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Howzit....As Lefty stated for target or 3D the longest and heaviest stabilizer one can shoot with, keeping in mine not over whelming for weight to allow a proper follow thru on the shot and not get fatiqued and "drop" the bow on the shot in 30 arrows...

The longer and heavier Stabilizer will allow best pin hold on the X without pin float...

We have shooters that use two stabilizers...one longer one in winter leagues than a shorter hunting stab as it nears hunting season...the are fast to remove and exchange...some even have quick releases.

Neil
Old 01-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Stabilisation of the bow is a big topic and is very purpose dependant.

There are two differnt things whne people mention stabilisation, there is stabilisation, and shock reduction.

I will talk about stabilisation...

In general adding mass weight reduces the amount of movement... but too much mass weight and it will not hold stable either as you are actually fighting the mass weight of the bow.

I have actually seen people shooting target with way too much weight on their bow and leads to and RSI (Repetitive stress injury).

So how do you get stabilisation without being too heavy? How you do it is with a stiff lightweight rod to move the weight as far from the bow as one can... thus reducing the amount of weight required. However a long stabiliser on a hunting bow is awkward... much like carring a heavy F-class rifle through the bush for hunting...

I see people adding chit to their bows without any education because they follow what someone else is doing and then someone follows what they are doing and so on until you have 1 pinformed person and 30 others trying to imitate the informed person spouting all sorts of theories mostly inaccurate....

Case in point... Doinker stabilisers were considered the cats meow and everyone had a doinker on their bow. Then B-stinger came out and along with their stabiliser they add KNOWLEGE from GRIV (George Ryals IV) a pro shooter out of the USA and probably the most knowlegeable technician ever and people followed the instructions and this "stabiliser" was the magic kool-aid for everyone.

There is a lot more to this topic for target shooting but to get back to the topic on hunting stabilisers....

I like to use a stabiliser with shock suppression as it helps reduce noise as well. However a really light/short stabiliser is kind of like putting lipstick on a clown. The 6" axion was mentioned and that is what i use. I uactually tapped the end of it and added an adapter I can screw a long stabiliser into for 3D/target when I want to so I dont have to change my sights. This does work very well!... The axion reduces shock but actually has some weoght to it so it also stabilises the sight picture. In fact I shot it one year for 3D without adding a long stabiliser and finished well in 3D in all the shoots.

The stabiliser that one can use is also dependent on the geometry of the bow... having a stabiliser that is completely inside the riser on a reflexed bow again only adds mass weight and not stabilisation... mass weight just slows down the movement... Again this is like putting lipstick on a clown!....

I liked the 6" axion on my bows because it stuck out past the limb pockets on the riser.

I have also used an 8" Cartel that had no shcok reduction but put the weight further outside the riser and I got better stabilisation than the axion in a much lighter package because the weight was all outside the bows geometry... trying to stabilise a bow and staying within the geometry is like trying to lift a bathtub while sitting in it....

What i recommend to people is to talk to someo ne that knows what they are doing and try a few different options and don't judge by feel but by results... I see so many people that could tighten their groups with a different stabiliser... try a different one...get better groups but don't use it... because it did not feel right.... Judging by feel is one of the worst ways to decide which stabiliser to use... Judge by the results in accuracy
Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Good Post nekred

Here is one of GRIV's articles on stabilizers

http://www.archerylearningcenter.arc...hery-02-10.pdf
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Pretty much came to the conclusion that all a stabilizer was good for on a hunting rig was to hold on my wrist strap. I pretty much just use the cheap limbsaver (it is around 5-6 inches) now. Not even sure I would notice the difference if I replace it with a bolt. Shooting pie plates not golf balls.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 01-20-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Pretty much came to the conclusion that all a stabilizer was good for on a hunting rig was to hold on my wrist strap. So I pretty much just use the cheap limbsaver (it is around 5-6 inches) now. Not even sure I would notice the difference if I replace it with a bolt.
I find the short limbsaver does eat up some vibration and make my bow quieter but it doesn't do much for balance.

LC
Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I find the short limbsaver does eat up some vibration and make my bow quieter but it doesn't do much for balance.

LC
I get that, but it sort of comes down to personal choice. I don't find my bow unbalanced with a quiver and limbsaver.

One hunting buddy I have shoots with no stab or wrist sling and he shoots as good as I can (sometimes better...cost me a steak dinner not that long ago).

I suppose you could go a little longer without making it a hinderance. Personal preference I guess.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 PM

B Stinger pro hunter 8" is what I'm using. I'm drinking the cool aid.
All kidding aside I think it works great, not sure it dampens my bow any (but my Prime Defy is pretty quiet and shock free already) but it does definitely help with stabilization.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Stabilisation of the bow is a big topic and is very purpose dependant.

There are two differnt things whne people mention stabilisation, there is stabilisation, and shock reduction.

I will talk about stabilisation...

In general adding mass weight reduces the amount of movement... but too much mass weight and it will not hold stable either as you are actually fighting the mass weight of the bow.

I have actually seen people shooting target with way too much weight on their bow and leads to and RSI (Repetitive stress injury).

So how do you get stabilisation without being too heavy? How you do it is with a stiff lightweight rod to move the weight as far from the bow as one can... thus reducing the amount of weight required. However a long stabiliser on a hunting bow is awkward... much like carring a heavy F-class rifle through the bush for hunting...

I see people adding chit to their bows without any education because they follow what someone else is doing and then someone follows what they are doing and so on until you have 1 pinformed person and 30 others trying to imitate the informed person spouting all sorts of theories mostly inaccurate....

Case in point... Doinker stabilisers were considered the cats meow and everyone had a doinker on their bow. Then B-stinger came out and along with their stabiliser they add KNOWLEGE from GRIV (George Ryals IV) a pro shooter out of the USA and probably the most knowlegeable technician ever and people followed the instructions and this "stabiliser" was the magic kool-aid for everyone.

There is a lot more to this topic for target shooting but to get back to the topic on hunting stabilisers....

I like to use a stabiliser with shock suppression as it helps reduce noise as well. However a really light/short stabiliser is kind of like putting lipstick on a clown. The 6" axion was mentioned and that is what i use. I uactually tapped the end of it and added an adapter I can screw a long stabiliser into for 3D/target when I want to so I dont have to change my sights. This does work very well!... The axion reduces shock but actually has some weoght to it so it also stabilises the sight picture. In fact I shot it one year for 3D without adding a long stabiliser and finished well in 3D in all the shoots.

The stabiliser that one can use is also dependent on the geometry of the bow... having a stabiliser that is completely inside the riser on a reflexed bow again only adds mass weight and not stabilisation... mass weight just slows down the movement... Again this is like putting lipstick on a clown!....

I liked the 6" axion on my bows because it stuck out past the limb pockets on the riser.

I have also used an 8" Cartel that had no shcok reduction but put the weight further outside the riser and I got better stabilisation than the axion in a much lighter package because the weight was all outside the bows geometry... trying to stabilise a bow and staying within the geometry is like trying to lift a bathtub while sitting in it....

What i recommend to people is to talk to someo ne that knows what they are doing and try a few different options and don't judge by feel but by results... I see so many people that could tighten their groups with a different stabiliser... try a different one...get better groups but don't use it... because it did not feel right.... Judging by feel is one of the worst ways to decide which stabiliser to use... Judge by the results in accuracy
Good Write!...main reason I use the 3"-4" KTech or Axion Stabs is they have weighted HS or Harmonic Stabilizer weights at the front of the stab and they make the top of the bow fall forward for the best follow thru...which really improves my accuracy...

Neil
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Doinker Tactical

Has anyone tried the Doinker Tactical? It's a side mounted modular stab with 8" up front and 6" to the rear I think. I'm really digging it and want to get some personal thoughts before I buy it. It's capable of having extensions and extra weight added to it as well I think.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM

I use an 11" octane for hunting, 3-D and Target I find its long enough to give me consistant groups for Target and also silence for hunting
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM

I love my hoyt carbon edge 6.5" stabilizer. You can definitely feel the difference when its on.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
I love my hoyt carbon edge 6.5" stabilizer. You can definitely feel the difference when its on.

how do you like that Cameron Hanes Spot Hogg???
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 PM

I honestly never noticed his name on there lol Love the sight very strong, fine tuning is is easy and pins are awesome with the wrap very bright. They have great customer service I sent mine in and got the .01pins and picked my color combo.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM

I like the fuse carbon blade. Got the 8.5 inch one on the new bow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Good reference, I should have scrolled a bit more through the posts before posting my questions. Sorry guys :/

Thanks for the info and links. Will be very useful!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM

I just ordered up a Bee Stinger 8" sport hunter xtreme in Real tree AP.
I was looking long and hard at the Carbon blade and Doinker ones as well. Guess I will see how it is in a couple weeks when it comes in!