Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 PM

Default Grain of Broadhead/field point

Quick question. I am currently shooting the Hoyt Spyder 30, 60 lbs, 28" draw length, and I am shooting the Easton Da'Torch arrows, 400, currently with a 100 gr. broad head. With such a light weight arrow, should I move up to 125 gr point? I will be out with my bow almost every day now until hunting season, so if i should move up I will have some time to adjust my sights. Any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 PM

What is your complete arrow weight and the measured speed of the arrow?

LC
Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 AM

You will be in that 350Gr arrow weight with a 7.2 GPI @ 28" arrow with inserts, nock, vanes, and 100gr head...with the Da'Torch"
@60 lbs thats a good setup and the 100 may do all you want...

The 125gr may give you more FOC or weight forward for a better flying arrow with a little more overall weight [25grs]

The .330 would have given you a heavier arrow for bigger critters..

But if your present arrows are flying true the .25grs may not affect much other than your wallet...

With your set-up A razor sharp head, put in the right place from a tuned bow...will pass thru an elk...there isnt extra points for how far an arrow goes after that...lol
JMHO
Neil
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM

I am sure there will be quite a debate on this. Science tells us that an heavier arrow will have more momentum. How much energy and momentum you need depend on what size game you are hunting. I think if you are after deer size animal you are OK with your arrow weight but if you are going to be hunting Elk or moose you need to up the total arrow weight by increasing shaft weight or broadhead weight or both. Stronger and heavier arrow shaft like Easton FMJ also give you better chance the arrow will not break on impact in the event of hitting heavy bone or spine. When an arrow break all the energy get loss in the splintering of the arrow.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 AM

We always assume heavier arrow has more momentum but this is only 1./2 of the story... Speed still has an effect too... Now for theory....

If you had aninfinitely heavy arrow.... speed would be zero therefore momentum would be zero....

If you had an arrow weight of 0 and infinite speed then you would have zero momentum....

In my books... Number 1 concern is spine of arrow as a well-spined arrow will be most accurate and number 1 in the archery book is arrow placement.... a light arrow in vitals does better than a heavy arrow in the arse.....(in most cases)

The other thing to think about is that with decreased arrow weight you will get more speed which leads to flatter trajectory....(up until a certain point) but for under 50 yards this is the case. So a lighter arrow that gives you more "error" for yardage... agin trade-off is that a light arrow in vitals is better than heavy arrow under the deer....

What i have found is that today's bows really like arrows in th 380 grain range. I have found I get the balance I want

First is make sure arrow is spined properly... you can adjust point weight to do this... 75 grain point will "stiffen"arrow 125 point will "weaken arrow" The other factor that affects spine is arrow length. If you want to shoot 100's then make sure arrwo is short enough or the right selection...

What I shoot right now is a 400 spin arrow at 29" with a 75 grain fixed blade broadhead out of a 60# 29" bow. It spines perfectly, moves a 310 fps and passed through a moose at over 50 yards thropugh the vitals including far side leg....

What more does one want?

People over think this.... any arrow that spines with a 100 grain tip will be sufficient as long as compound bow is over 40lbs peak weight.... Just limit distance based on your ability.

Arrow placement is king.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

...I think thats yet another "agreed"...lol

Neil
Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
...I think thats yet another "agreed"...lol

Neil
Ok What's up... we better stop already Earthquakes near Rotten monkey house... if we keep this up it wil be Armageddon!....
Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Lol... :d
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM

I'm thinking I will ask the same question, shooting APA viper x7....70Ibs 32" draw. Shooting nemesis 300 10.7 gpi and installed 125 gr broad heads.... I'm going after elk this year. I'm i to heavy ???

Thx wade
Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I'm thinking I will ask the same question, shooting APA viper x7....70Ibs 32" draw. Shooting nemesis 300 10.7 gpi and installed 125 gr broad heads.... I'm going after elk this year. I'm i to heavy ???

Thx wade
This would be a matter of opinion....

To me there is a balance.... If you are confident you can hit what you are aiming at.... then all is good!....

You are also shooting a 70 lb bow which will generally move a heavier arrow at same speed as a 60 lb bow with a lighter arrow... I am looking that you are probably with 125 grain head sitting around 450ish grains and with the Viper probably moving about 280 ish for speed..... 20 yaers ago people would only dream of that kind of momentum at 70lbs.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm thinking your total weight would be about 520 grains. So with your setup your should be getting about 285 fps, with KE at 94 ft-lbs. I think your arrow would pass through an elk like butter.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 PM

So for little more speed I could drop to 100 gr and still have not to much to worry about..... Thx gents
Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
So for little more speed I could drop to 100 gr and still have not to much to worry about..... Thx gents
remember this will also make for a stiffer arrow too.... and proper spine aids placement....
Old 08-11-2014, 03:15 PM

I shot an ~27 inch gold tip hunterXT (340/7595) arrow with a 100gr grim reaper broadhead (total arrow weight roughly 385gr) completely through a bull elk at 35 yards last year....with a Bowtech D350, @ 60# DL of 28 inches @~295 fps.....that worked just fine.

LC
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 PM

ok so i measured my foc and maybe this may help.

with a 100 grain point, my arrows will weigh 354 and have an FOC of 12.6 and KE of approx. 59 ft-lbs

With a 125 grain point, my arrows will weigh 379 and have an FOC of 14.9 and KE of approx. 62 ft-lbs

Does this help determine whether I should shoot 125's or not?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Grain of Broadhead/field point

Another thing to consider other than ke and momentum is trajectory. While a higher foc will make your arrow fly "truer" faster, it will also cause your trajectory to be poorer, especially at longer ranges, as will having excessively heavy arrows. This can be important to the western hunter since longer shots sometimes are necessary, especially spot and stalk hunting and some calling situations. Just my experience, but at about between 5.25 and 6 grains/lb draw weight seems to be where the optimum mechanical efficiency of most modern bows seems to lie. On the ones I've tested anyway.