Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Default handloads and warranties

I was revisiting the manual for my Sako Finnlight and noted that using handloads voids my warranty. Was a bit surprised. Not concerned as I use factory ammo, but surprised.

Is that true of most/many other firearms?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:10 PM

A stupid question but how would they know if you used handloads or not?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
A stupid question but how would they know if you used handloads or not?
Not such a stupid question. I thought that myself. They're Swedish. I guess they expect people to be honest. LOL
Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Not such a stupid question. I thought that myself. They're Swedish. I guess they expect people to be honest. LOL
Sako is Finnish not Swedish
Old 01-17-2017, 05:57 PM

I think tikka has the same nonsense regarding handloads as well. Same company I guess.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I think tikka has the same nonsense regarding handloads as well. Same company I guess.
Tikka does for sure. It is in the owner's manual. I once spoke to a fellow named Peter Smith from Stoeger. When he heard that I was using handloads in a t3 I had sent them he said that it would not be covered. They later determined that it was a manufacture problem and not related to the ammo.

I sent an o/u clay gun via Pud at Bashaw to Browning Canada because of a slight bulge at the muzzle. Both Pud and the Browning smith, Bouchard said that any admitted use of handloads ever would void the warranty.

I do not recall every new firearm that I have but I recall seeing that warranty would be voided if handloads were used at least a few other times.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=covey ridge;3446023]Tikka does for sure. It is in the owner's manual. I once spoke to a fellow named Peter Smith from Stoeger. When he heard that I was using handloads in a t3 I had sent them he said that it would not be covered. They later determined that it was a manufacture problem and not related to the ammo.

I sent an o/u clay gun via Pud at Bashaw to Browning Canada because of a slight bulge at the muzzle. Both Pud and the Browning smith, Bouchard said that any admitted use of handloads ever would void the warranty.

I do not recall every new firearm that I have but I recall seeing that warranty would be voided if handloads were used at least a few other times.[/QUOTE

Didn't tikka have an exploding barrel problem like 15yrs ago? I wonder if this policy if from that.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Didn't tikka have an exploding barrel problem like 15yrs ago? I wonder if this policy if from that.
I think a lot of firearm companies have a clause that voids warranty if handloads are used. JMHO, I think it is a get off the hook clause on the part of the manufacturer. Many shooter reload and that gives the manufacturers a way out. "Something happened. We do not know why! We know that you reload. Because of this we will assume that it is your fault."

As a slight detour, Firearm manufacturers tend to blame the ammo. Ammo manufacturers tend to blame the firearm. If there is any doubt the customer looses.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM

I bought a new H&R trapdoor carbine back in the 70's with a box of Remington loads marked "for use in all rifles" My first shot the brass ejected from the action not having any experience I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not. I fired 3 more rounds the trap door slammed back just didn't seem right. I sent the gun back to H&R for repair in the US, they phoned me asking if it was hand loaded or factory and what ammunition was used I mailed them with the flap off the ammunition box they repaired at no cost.

Ever since then I have always run a box of factory through every new gun I've bought if anything goes south they can't blame my loading.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

Ever since then I have always run a box of factory through every new gun I've bought if anything goes south they can't blame my loading.

Darn good idea! I think I've only bought one new gun and immediately worked up loads though, the rest usually got some factory for an idea of accuracy in case I had to buy some later.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 PM

[QUOTE=mgvande;344605[/QUOTE

Didn't tikka have an exploding barrel problem like 15yrs ago? I wonder if this policy if from that.[/QUOTE]

That was Sako IIRC and it was attibuted to a bad lot of steel that snuck past
QA/QC
Factory Ammo was splitting the barrels as well as hand loads , and the faulty rifles were recalled .
Cat
Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 AM

I would be surprised if any current warranty or owner's manual didn't have a clause about that. If it is a "one of" mistake in a new load, for a new gun, that now becomes your mystery to solve. Factory ammo in a new one, becomes their issue to deal with, between the gun and ammo company.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Default Swedes make Volvos not Sakos

Quote:

Two Swedes have been hunting in the forest and managed to shoot a deer. They are struggling to drag the dead animal through the woods back towards their Volvo, when they come across a Finn.

The Finn says to them: "Wow, that's a great trophy! However, if I may say so, you shouldn't be dragging that deer by its hind legs like that as it's going against the direction of fur so creating a lot of friction. If you drag it from its front legs, you will get much less friction and will find it much easier!"

The Swedes thank the clever Finn for his advice. After 30 minutes of dragging the deer by its front legs, one of the Swedes says to the other: "That was really great advice from that Finnish guy. It is indeed much easier that way!". To which the other replies: "I agree, but the problem is we are getting further and further away from our Volvo!"
Old 01-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Remington Warranty

Remington Warranty

What is not covered by this warranty?
We will not cover damage of your firearm caused by:
Failure to provide proper care and maintenance
Accidents, abuse or misuse
Barrel obstruction
Hand loaded, reloaded or improper ammunition
Unauthorized adjustments, repairs or modifications
Normal wear and tear
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Banned

That's a pretty standard warranty clause.
Look up your vehicle...put in aftermarket computer chips...void the warranty.
Open up your computer and upgrade the insides...often will void the warranty.
Once you are using a part (or handload) that is not under tight quality control the manufacturer has no idea if it is going to adversely affect their product.
I can completely see their point.
If you do any upgrades to equipment keep the old parts to you can re-install them if it needs warranty work.
Same thing...I'd never admit to using handloads when sending a firearm in for warranty work.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Sako is Finnish not Swedish
Arrrrgh!!!!! you're right of course. Batting 1000 today. Calling an Irish guy a Scot and calling a Finnish company Swedish....
Old 01-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Default Careful

Quote:
Arrrrgh!!!!! you're right of course. Batting 1000 today. Calling an Irish guy a Scot and calling a Finnish company Swedish....
Careful Oki people may think your a "Strathmoron"
Old 01-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Careful Oki people may think your a "Strathmoron"
Ha! That's the best one I've heard in a while.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 PM

The CZ manual has a clause along the lines of "any damage done by the use of ammunition not loaded to CIP or SAAMI specifications" seems that the Czechs are not as concerned.
Norinco says "No warranty is expressed or implied when reloaded ammunition is used" Had to laugh as I didn't think that they came with warranty anyway.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 AM

If people stopped trying to be smarter than the loading books we wouldn't have this concern with warranty and reloads.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Think it's pretty universal, I know hand loads in a mini 14 void the warranty, one of those disclaimers manufacturers use to cover their ass.

Grizz
Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

Two Swedes have been hunting in the forest and managed to shoot a deer. They are struggling to drag the dead animal through the woods back towards their Volvo, when they come across a Finn.

The Finn says to them: "Wow, that's a great trophy! However, if I may say so, you shouldn't be dragging that deer by its hind legs like that as it's going against the direction of fur so creating a lot of friction. If you drag it from its front legs, you will get much less friction and will find it much easier!"

The Swedes thank the clever Finn for his advice. After 30 minutes of dragging the deer by its front legs, one of the Swedes says to the other: "That was really great advice from that Finnish guy. It is indeed much easier that way!". To which the other replies: "I agree, but the problem is we are getting further and further away from our Volvo!"
Bahahahahahahaha