Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Default Single bevel broadheads?

Could anyone please give me some real world insight into the single bevel broadhead? I've just laid my hands on some Easton FMJ's, and thought I'd compliment them with some Helix broadheads.

I know they are popular with trad hunters due to their bone breaking ability, but what about for compound hunters? Overkill?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:10 AM

I only shoot Trad, and just don't buy into the single bevel hype. They are also a pain to sharpen. There are lots of great 2 and 3 blade fixed heads out there to choose from. VPA 2 and 3 blades, Bearpaw German Jagers, Eclipse Weirwolf , and Silver Flames come to mind.
As for bone busting, the big bones on a moose or elk stop bullets, you are not going thru them with an arrow . you may crack them but penetrating past is a pipe dream. Ribs and the thin part of the shoulder blade are easy, but the big bones are best to be avoided regardless what advertising says..
Stand on the big shoulder bones of a moose with your best axe and take a swing. You won't go thru it in 1 swing, now think about an arrow and a broadhead and what it can do to them. Stay away from the big bones.

Last edited by petew; 11-14-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Default Not overkill but not the most important factor.

The single bevel will apply more torque on an impact than double bevel but its effect is not as substantial as other factors for penetration as you might think. Even the hardcore proponents of single bevel admit that its not the biggest factor. Perfect arrow flight, Weight/momentum, FOC, integrity of the broadhead and the instert, sharpness, cutting angle are all of higher importance in determining penetration. If you've dealt with all these and still want more then go for it.

The single bevel tools on my wood bench are scary sharp but it does take some practice. If you cant achieve that then you are negating the benefit. The guys that bowhunt in Africa use them on much bigger things than we have here to much success.

I have been working on a setup that will fly well with a heavy brass insert. which will eventually wear a Grizzly 200gr BH but its a project.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 AM

Default Single bevel

I agree with Pete, they're a bugger to sharpen although not impossible. All of this stuff is spdesigned for when shots don't go well and hoping that the little extra help might just get the arrow deep enough for a lethal hit. African game has a smaller lethal zone and it's tucked in close to the front leg so it's easier to miss and hit the leg bone or shoulder, our game has a bigger target.

I used single bevels for awhile now I'm using anything that's cheap enough and sharp enough.

If you're hunting Canadian game make sure to stay far enough back to avoid the shoulder blade and don't take frontal shots and that way any head will work.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:03 PM

I have been using a Badger Broadhead with a 50 Gr brass insert to get the FOC high. I have found that they fly really well in my set up. Solid steel construction. I have tried many broadheads. Most worked well. This just seems to be my favorite.
Just make sure you use a right hand broadhead (any single bevel) if you have a right hand blazer.
Garry