Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 AM

Default 2 guys in the bow zone with rifles

So the other morning I went and checked my trail camera and when I got home to my surprise there was lots of wildlife on my camera but also 2 guys standing in front of my camera both holding rifles. They noticed my camera but since the last one was stolen I got a security box and Python locked to the tree which they still tried to get into it after they realized they had been busted. So if you two guys are on the forum and end up seeing this. You should probably find another area to poach because you have been reported to RAP and your pictures have been email to them as well. I bow hunt in this area for the security of knowing I won't have bullets flying around the bush.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 AM

Could be muzzleloaders or shotguns?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Nope they were both lever action rifles. I wouldn't have reported them or made this post if I wasn't sure.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Nope they were both lever action rifles. I wouldn't have reported them or made this post if I wasn't sure.
We're they hunting rabbits or coyotes?

LC
Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Well if they were hunting coyotes they didn't need the deer grunt moose call and rattling antlers hanging off there pack. There is a few pictures of them standing In front of my camera where you can see all there gear and they are clearly moose/deer hunting. Yes I know some people use those calls for coyote but walking around the thick bush coyote hunting? I'd say they were poaching and the officer I spoke with agrees after seeing the pictures.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:03 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what part of 248 did this take place?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So the other morning I went and checked my trail camera and when I got home to my surprise there was lots of wildlife on my camera but also 2 guys standing in front of my camera both holding rifles. They noticed my camera but since the last one was stolen I got a security box and Python locked to the tree which they still tried to get into it after they realized they had been busted. So if you two guys are on the forum and end up seeing this. You should probably find another area to poach because you have been reported to RAP and your pictures have been email to them as well. I bow hunt in this area for the security of knowing I won't have bullets flying around the bush.
let's see the pictures.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:08 PM

I think you hunt wolfs in the bow zone with a rifle..???
I'm sure you can that's what the last fish and wildlife officer told me .
However leave other people's hard earned trail cameras alone !!! Freaken people need to work for what they have just so scabs can steal it ? No morals anymore
Old 11-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We're they hunting rabbits or coyotes?

LC
I would say the fact that they tried to steal the camera is pretty indicative that they knew they had been busted.
And ever if they were legally hunting bunnies or wolves...they should still be reported for trying to steal someone else's property.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:39 PM

Yes that's the whole reason why I called. They were messing trying to get my camera off the tree. They were hanging around my camera for around 20 mins trying to get it off the tree. That's what made me think they had been busted doing something wrong. I don't have the pics on my phone just on my computer at home.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:42 PM

And that's my second camera in the area the first one was stolen off the tree with a cable lock on it. They didn't get this one tho and it was moved last night so they didn't come back with tools.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:39 PM

It's not illegal to have center fire rifles in a bow zone. It's illegal to hunt big game with them.

If on private land without permission I think their only crime is trespassing.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Why are you worried it you
Old 11-01-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I would say the fact that they tried to steal the camera is pretty indicative that they knew they had been busted.
And ever if they were legally hunting bunnies or wolves...they should still be reported for trying to steal someone else's property.
I agree

I was just trying to figure what kind of excuse lowlife trespassers use in these circumstances.

LC
Old 11-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountedbowman View Post
Why are you worried it you
Nope, but too many of these stories get posted to believe. If they are all true, yikes I'm glad I hunt where I do.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:05 PM

Default It happens.

I've had fellows on cam where they shouldn't be but only once did I have pictures of a guy packing a centy in the bow zone. The first time it was two guys on the wrong side of the fence. The next time it was a different fellow again on the wrong side. The third time it was the nephew of one of the intitial guys and he was packing a rifle. I don't own the land but the landowners were more than happy to take care of things in their own fashion. Hasn't been an issue since.

I'm not a picture poster but I'd be happy to email pictures if someone is really bent on seeing that it's a real thing.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I've had fellows on cam where they shouldn't be but only once did I have pictures of a guy packing a centy in the bow zone. The first time it was two guys on the wrong side of the fence. The next time it was a different fellow again on the wrong side. The third time it was the nephew of one of the intitial guys and he was packing a rifle. I don't own the land but the landowners were more than happy to take care of things in their own fashion. Hasn't been an issue since.

I'm not a picture poster but I'd be happy to email pictures if someone is really bent on seeing that it's a real thing.
Yes I don't need to be blasting pictures they have been sent to the people that matter and if you don't believe me that's fine. I have the pictures and I know what's true and what's not! Just thought I'd make the post in case these guys are on the forum so they know they have been caught and to move on elsewhere. There is no need to plaster pictures all over the forum!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM

If they tried to steal my camera I would call the RCMP instead of RAP.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 AM

just talk to a fish and wildlife officer and find out how much poaching goes on , it is surprising . Talked to one by GP and they said they a catching about 2 day hunting with no license or taking more than they have tags for.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Just a question not looking to start a bashing thread here but could a treaty hunter use a rifle or shotgun in the bowzone to hunt big game?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Looks like the op is upset about those individuals TAMPERING WITH PRIVATE PROPERTY (not stealing, a different crime) and has decided to report it has poaching...id leave it to the lady with the band over her eyes and a balance in one hand a a sword in the other
Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Just a question not looking to start a bashing thread here but could a treaty hunter use a rifle or shotgun in the bowzone to hunt big game?
Ask the game warden
Old 11-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
most native (the ones form out of province) have to fallow the same rules as everyone, they just don't need to buy a tag... I'm sure if the area allows shooting of guns they would be aloud....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 11-02-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
most native (the ones form out of province) have to fallow the same rules as everyone, they just don't need to buy a tag... I'm sure if the area allows shooting of guns they would be aloud....
Kind of, I believe a few bands stretch into Sask and BC so its more band dependant than province.

My understanding would be that if the discharge of a certain weapon is legal in that area and big game regulations do not apply you could do so.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:36 PM

Got a call this morning from an officer telling me that these two in the photo have been talked to already once this year for illegally hunting with rifles in he bow zone. Said there story was fishy the first time they spoke to them. Looks like these fellas will not be hunting for awhile. He thanked me for the report and said I had every right to call in and report.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Got a call this morning from an officer telling me that these two in the photo have been talked to already once this year for illegally hunting with rifles in he bow zone. Said there story was fishy the first time they spoke to them. Looks like these fellas will not be hunting for awhile. He thanked me for the report and said I had every right to call in and report.
Awesome! Always good to pick up the phone when something doesn't seem right.

LC
Old 11-02-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
X2
Old 11-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
X2
Pics are not necessary. The issue has been resolved.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 PM

Excellent outcome. Hopefully you get paid too