Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 PM

Default Savage floating tang?

Hey guys I have a quick question about my savage 10. I recently upgraded the stock to a B&C m40 medalist and I noticed the tang is not free floating like it was on my accustock. Anything I've read seems that it needs to be floating to maintain consistency? Has anyone ran into this if they've upgraded to this stock? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 AM

I've shot Savage rifles with the tangs that were floated, ad some that weren't .
Running a two screw (or three screw) system with the trigger behind the the action screws negates any need for anything behind the rear screw to be bedded, and if there is a lot of pressure, you can invariably torue the action, so this is why most float the rear tang.
Cat
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I've shot Savage rifles with the tangs that were floated, ad some that weren't .
Running a two screw (or three screw) system with the trigger behind the the action screws negates any need for anything behind the rear screw to be bedded, and if there is a lot of pressure, you can invariably torue the action, so this is why most float the rear tang.
Cat
Thanks for the info, did you notice any decrease in accuracy from the non floating tang? I kind of want to avoid removing material from the stock but I'm starting to think I'll be getting out the dremel.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster243 View Post
Thanks for the info, did you notice any decrease in accuracy from the non floating tang? I kind of want to avoid removing material from the stock but I'm starting to think I'll be getting out the dremel.
The differences could not be seen when I was shooting, but I was not shooting in a controlled environment ie. no wind, machine rest, etc.
the rifles were however, match rifles, not hunting rifles of the sporting sort.

Cat
Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The differences could not be seen when I was shooting, but I was not shooting in a controlled environment ie. no wind, machine rest, etc.
Both rifles were however, match rifles, not hunting rifles of the sporting sort.
Cat
Oh ok, well the gun is still brand new so I'll break it in, shoot some groups and see how it looks. Thanks again