Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Got a question.....i just recently purchased a sako a7 with a burris e1 on it. Seems like it would be quite a bit better quality than say the thing that comes on savage axis (obviously not a great scope either way), but im just wondering if anyone has kept those on the rifle and how they have held up. I already put a vx3 on the sako, but thinking of switching out a beat up scope i have on another .300winmag with the burris. Thanks
I posted to be prepared to spend as much on your scope as you did on your rifle, however I do have a Sako a7 chambered in .270 with the Burris scope, and have not switched it out, only because it works so well. It's my favourite rifle and I've shot probably 1000 rounds threw it, only recently re citing it! You know what they say " Don't fix what's not broken" if you plan on reaching out to further than 400 yards a higher quality scope may be worth it!!! Your a7 definitely was a GREAT purchase!!!
Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 PM

If you put in the time and effort all year long to get the gun working, schedule vacation, set up camp, get the animal in your sights just to have the scope fail because you are too cheap too buy good optics, you deserve what you have invested in.
Warranty doesn't mean crap at the moment.
Spend more on your scope than you spent on your gun is a good rule of thumb.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I posted to be prepared to spend as much on your scope as you did on your rifle, however I do have a Sako a7 chambered in .270 with the Burris scope, and have not switched it out, only because it works so well. It's my favourite rifle and I've shot probably 1000 rounds threw it, only recently re citing it! You know what they say " Don't fix what's not broken" if you plan on reaching out to further than 400 yards a higher quality scope may be worth it!!! Your a7 definitely was a GREAT purchase!!!
I have an A7 that came with the Burris scope and used it for a few seasons without fail. Took it off and put it on a varmint gun (that never got shot so I sold the gun) and bought a Viper because I liked the glass better but I think those Burris scopes have good glass. My friend has one on a Tikka and has been on their for at least 6 years with no problem.

I would change out the scopes on the axis and other 3-500 packages though.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard