Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
6 hours actually, in Alberta, for big game.
The way I interpret it,from sentence 1 and 3,and taking *NOTE of the final sentence,"#2 above does not negate the potential application of #1 above" could land you in chit for scouting with a drone 7hrs or 7 days prior to hunting for that matter?
It is unlawful to use any aircraft for the purpose of hunting wildlife,including UAVs....period.

Use of Aircraft
The use of aircraft for the purpose of hunting and hunting after flight is controlled by various regulations which are summarized under the “general” and “big game” prohibitions area within this Guide. For further clarity, it is unlawful to:

1-Use any aircraft for the purpose of hunting wildlife, including unmanned aerial vehicles.
2-Hunt big game within 6 hours* of having disembarked from an aircraft, except for a jet or turbo-propeller driven aircraft (regardless of the purpose of the flight).
3-Communicate, for the purpose of hunting, the whereabouts or signs
of wildlife from knowledge gained from a manned or unmanned aircraft flight to anyone at any time during or after the flight.
*NOTE: Hunting big game after the 6 hour timeframe as indicated in #2 above does not negate the potential application of #1 above.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
That would be removing what makes a hunt, a hunt. How much more technology does one need to enjoy the fruits of being a hunter/gatherer? I would strongly oppose the idea.
Times 4 of us

Did you see the story in the States where a guy shot a drone out of his back yard? His kids were playing back there and it was trespassing. Apparently he celebrated the hit. He is being charged with firing into the air or something. I say good for him!!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Banned

Trail cams that send real time pics to your smart phone.
4 seperate motion sensors that can be placed 200 yards from your stand to alert you of approaching game.
Drones for scouting/flying cut blocks,with real time pics sent your smart phone.
Ain't technology grand.

A few years ago,I was reading about a private ranch outfit in TX iirc that offers remote control,baited rifle hunts.Essentially a video game with live animal targets,so one could shoot a deer in TX from the comfort of your NYC penthouse.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Trail cams that send real time pics to your smart phone.
4 seperate motion sensors that can be placed 200 yards from your stand to alert you of approaching game.
Drones for scouting/flying cut blocks,with real time pics sent your smart phone.
Ain't technology grand.

A few years ago,I was reading about a private ranch outfit in TX iirc that offers remote control,baited rifle hunts.Essentially a video game with live animal targets,so one could shoot a deer in TX from the comfort of your NYC penthouse.
I wouldn't blame a guy for shooting a drone down that was buzzing around during a hunt.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
The way I interpret it,from sentence 1 and 3,and taking *NOTE of the final sentence,"#2 above does not negate the potential application of #1 above" could land you in chit for scouting with a drone 7hrs or 7 days prior to hunting for that matter?
It is unlawful to use any aircraft for the purpose of hunting wildlife,including UAVs....period.

Use of Aircraft
The use of aircraft for the purpose of hunting and hunting after flight is controlled by various regulations which are summarized under the “general” and “big game” prohibitions area within this Guide. For further clarity, it is unlawful to:

1-Use any aircraft for the purpose of hunting wildlife, including unmanned aerial vehicles.
2-Hunt big game within 6 hours* of having disembarked from an aircraft, except for a jet or turbo-propeller driven aircraft (regardless of the purpose of the flight).
3-Communicate, for the purpose of hunting, the whereabouts or signs
of wildlife from knowledge gained from a manned or unmanned aircraft flight to anyone at any time during or after the flight.
*NOTE: Hunting big game after the 6 hour timeframe as indicated in #2 above does not negate the potential application of #1 above.
That's great that they have included UAV's into the regs this year. I'm a UAV owner, but have no desire to use it for hunting or scouting. We leave next week for our annual fly-in moose hunt. I do plan on using my drone for filming us fishing and to capture some aerial footage of our area around camp. I'll wait until we tag out before putting her up in the air!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
That's great that they have included UAV's into the regs this year. I'm a UAV owner, but have no desire to use it for hunting or scouting. We leave next week for our annual fly-in moose hunt. I do plan on using my drone for filming us fishing and to capture some aerial footage of our area around camp. I'll wait until we tag out before putting her up in the air!
Right on!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM

Hey Guys,

Darcy and I were out before the range opened.

It was filmed with a dji Phantom Pro 3 with the 4K Camera and 3 batteries.

I can post some other pictures if you like.

Last edited by Fac; 09-06-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fac View Post
Hey Guys,

Darcy and I were out before the range opened.

It was filmed with a dji Phantom Pro 3 with the 4K battery.

I can post some other pictures if you like.
You definitely should post more pics. Guys like seeing ranges around the province, and we have a good one!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Did someone say shotgun range?

Old 09-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Handgun range next to my new favorite spot the 50 yard range or as I call it Tavor paradise!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM

Some members have seen the pond behind the range but not likely like this:

Old 09-06-2015, 01:27 PM

A birds eye view of the 200 and 300

Old 09-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Thanks Barry for telling us to get this shot!

[/URL]
Old 09-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Decisions decisions

Old 09-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Old 09-06-2015, 01:49 PM

One of Darcy's highest shots.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Great shots. Thanks. Any that include the Archery Range? And, Campsite loop? And Fish Pond? This weekend was our highest occupancy at the campsites with only three vacant.
Hope you guys get out to do the other areas.

Good bang for the buck? $130 per year for single Range, $170 per year for Family Range.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 09-06-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:33 PM

We actually went to the archery range but it is pretty enclosed with trees so we were worried about crashing the drone into a tree 8)

It really is great value.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
that's one fancy looking range!
x2 agreed very nice
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 PM

Bump for Brett ... the drone link in the OP