Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Default SPFGA - Projects

Exec has approved funds for a couple on-site projects.
CAMPSITE UPGRADES - Work is scheduled to start soon on enlarging some of the existing campsites to better accommodate members. Also some new pump-out toilets.
NEW 50M RANGE - Planning is underway for the construction of a new range on the north side of the Handgun Range. Similar in width to the HG, but with the backstop 50m from the firing line.. Permitted use will likely include both long and short barrel firearms to better accommodate long range handgun, carbines, shotgun slug guns, short-range semi's using steel core/cased ammo ... etc
It is anticipated that disruption to range use will be kept to a minimum, perhaps closing the Handgun and Overflow for up to four days.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Any plans for a range longer than 300? I would expect demand would be larger for a longer rifle range than shooting 50m pistol?

J
Old 04-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post
Any plans for a range longer than 300? I would expect demand would be larger for a longer rifle range than shooting 50m pistol?

J
X2
Old 04-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

sounds like there are really some good things going on.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
X2
x3!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 PM

If I would only get my letter in the mail so I can attend orientation.......
Old 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM

I had heard of the plans for the 50m - thats fantastic for big bore revolver shooters! Any ideas when it will open?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post

J
Beyond the current 300m is not possible. The current ranges are situated within the boundaries of a single quarter section and all SPFGA property outside that quarter have been locked up with conservation easements that do not permit any kind of development. Bottom line is the Club can only work with that reality.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:13 PM

I have no way of knowing, but my guess is they want that steel ammo off the longer ranges. Many guys don't like brass flying in their face, and it seems a large number of them can't be bothered to clean their brass up. Thats my prediction anyhow. Some guys will be ticked if that happens, but I won't cry. Don't like it when guys don't clean up their mess.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I had heard of the plans for the 50m - thats fantastic for big bore revolver shooters! Any ideas when it will open?
Thanks
I have met with the contractor that will be doing the ground work, and if all goes well with frost and ground conditions, I am hoping we get started about mid-May. There will be challenges with low ground and accumulating sufficient material to level the grade, and construct the 6M high backstop and 3m high side burm. Once the ground work is complete, we must get the concrete pad poured and construct a structure similar to the HG shed. Then black dirt and grass seed... And then the target board set-ups. If the majority of this is complete by the end of June, the Maintenance Guy will be leaving a jar on a bench to collect tips. Realistically, completion is expected mid summer if weather is on our side.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have met with the contractor that will be doing the ground work, and if all goes well with frost and ground conditions, I am hoping we get started about mid-May. There will be challenges with low ground and accumulating sufficient material to level the grade, and construct the 6M high backstop and 3m high side burm. Once the ground work is complete, we must get the concrete pad poured and construct a structure similar to the HG shed. Then black dirt and grass seed... And then the target board set-ups. If the majority of this is complete by the end of June, the Maintenance Guy will be leaving a jar on a bench to collect tips. Realistically, completion is expected mid summer if weather is on our side.
Outstanding! I started those 'longer range handgun' monthly shoots on the overflow range with Gary last fall. Basically my goal was shoot at 50m with handguns. Now we can maybe make them a couple/three times a summer to shoot 50+ m because we will have 50m 7 days a week!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
If I would only get my letter in the mail so I can attend orientation.......
If your app was received prior to Jan 6th, you can expect some good news when they get to you. The Club has also rented office space, and the move out of basements is almost complete. Orientations began last weekend with the earliest newbie apps processed. More than a hundred lucky shooters have already got the good news. Strange as it may seem, the eagerness for Orientations wanes with some after they get notice. Last year, I was calling people as late as October to try to get their orientations done. I think there were about 20 that never did show.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have no way of knowing, but my guess is they want that steel ammo off the longer ranges. Many guys don't like brass flying in their face, and it seems a large number of them can't be bothered to clean their brass up. Thats my prediction anyhow. Some guys will be ticked if that happens, but I won't cry. Don't like it when guys don't clean up their mess.
No doubt, the Exec will review "permitted use" on each of the Ranges and get these things sorted out. Given the reality over the past few years that the bulk of all (unpicked) steel cased ammo was fired at the short range target board (25m) on the Big Bore, it would be logical to assume that the new 50m Range will attract these "short range" semi autos.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Well of course....people love spending money to not utilize things. Doesn't surprise me that guys never show up once.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Any details on the improvements to the campground? There are a few really good sites already, but they get grabbed pretty quick. Are they adding more sites, or making some of the existing sites more "camper friendly".
I am always appreciative of all info you post in here. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
Any details on the improvements to the campground? There are a few really good sites already, but they get grabbed pretty quick. Are they adding more sites, or making some of the existing sites more "camper friendly".
I am always appreciative of all info you post in here. Thank you.
About ten of the existing campsites will be expanded to accommodate "modern" sized campers. There is not really room to increase the number due to "low" ground. The plan is to make all sites as large as possible without wiping out the treed separations. If we can access some clay, it would make things easier ... so if there is surplus from the 50m range project we will truck it down. The brush clearing will likely get started later this week ... will be done with chainsaws and skid steer to minimize the mess. I expect most of the clearing to get done over the next couple of weeks. Will be brining in some gravel when conditions and road bans permit. One of our members is donating some big fire pit rings.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 PM

This sounds like good news to me. Will we be able to shoot big bore rifles at the 50 meter range? It will be great for my 45/70. Thanks for the update 260 rem!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
This sounds like good news to me. Will we be able to shoot big bore rifles at the 50 meter range? It will be great for my 45/70. Thanks for the update 260 rem!
The basic plan behind the project is that this will be an "Open Range" to accommodate all firearms at short range. The only exclusion I would anticipate would be birdshot as target boards would get tore up too quickly.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM

Groundwork for campsites is underway. We may be waiting a bit for black dirt and gravel until road bans make it feasible for larger loads. The first pic is actually a new site .. others are expansions. Hopefully, get another four done by days end on Weds
These pics are not all working, but you get the idea.

[/URL]

Last edited by 260 Rem; 04-14-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:51 PM

We have a great facility with a forward thinking executive and volunteers! Thanks to all for their efforts!!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:58 PM

Exec does a good job of "reinvesting" membership fees to benefit members. The major lifting and groundwork on this project is paid ... the volunteers will be in to make it pretty The maintenance guy is staying behind the camera.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:58 AM

Default Spfga

Really Good Job. It all sounds great to me!!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 AM

You have a 1/4 section of land and can't accommodate anything beyond 300 yds? Did I read that correctly?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You have a 1/4 section of land and can't accommodate anything beyond 300 yds? Did I read that correctly?
The club owns several quarter sections (I think 720 acres in that block). Being a club that has been traditionally dedicated to "conservation", as land was accumulated around the original "range" parcel....conservation easements were put in place, which left only the land on the original "Range" quarter open for development. The existing "ranges" do not start on a boundary line, but in fact, several hundred meters inside the boundary, so potential for extending downrange shooting lanes is limited by both "cushion space" as well as bog type topography. Potential room is also limited on the existing quarter by other development including a Clubhouse, Fish Pond, and Campsites.

Stretching the existing 300m to 400m might be possible, but it would come at huge expense due to the bog topography. (It is conceivable that it might not even be permitted from an environmental perspective). Also, such an extension would not be too popular with the overwhelming number of shorter range shooters who to date have displayed amazing patience waiting for us old geezers to put up targets at 300m .
Just for my own info, at one time I looked at what would be required to construct a long range lane along a property line ... Just not feasible due to undulating topography and bogs. My assessment, we have what we have, and after the construction of the new 50M Range, and further "expansion" of shooting operations are unlikely. (Well, except maybe some day the shotgun guys will get keen on developing a skeet set--up).
Old 04-16-2015, 07:11 PM

Great news - FYI my wife would love nicer toilets at the range. She says they are "some kinda nasty"
Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckwannabe View Post
Great news - FYI my wife would love nicer toilets at the range. She says they are "some kinda nasty"
She is right .. the darn maintenance guy only looks in them about once a week.. and since he is only on duty four hours a week, has somewhat scewed priorities and avoids certain jobs
However, we are installing four pump-out tanks for the campsite loop, and have some new single seaters on order. Also, an additional unit is being added across from the new 50M Range. All the new units will have pedistal seats which will hopefully be easier to keep clean than those with the wooden bench. We have also discussed removing the wooden benches from the Big Bore biffy's, and replacing them with new plastic pedestals. The less surface area exposed to bare parts, the easier are it will be to keep them clean.
If your wife wishes to bid adieu to the west-loop toilets, she will need to look in the burn pit.
Any volunteers looking for a steady gig?

Last edited by 260 Rem; 04-16-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:42 PM

SPFGA rocks! Thanks so much to all those that volunteer. As for you whiners I believe CHAS is still accepting memberships. At this stage of life, (full time job, taking Masters, & small kids) I don't get there a ton but when I do the care and thought put in is obvious.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:12 PM

Default 3D Archery

Any plans on updating the 3D archery loop?
That is the one area that needs improvement, new targets would be a start.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
SPFGA rocks! Thanks so much to all those that volunteer. As for you whiners I believe CHAS is still accepting memberships. At this stage of life, (full time job, taking Masters, & small kids) I don't get there a ton but when I do the care and thought put in is obvious.

At which facility?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Any plans on updating the 3D archery loop?
That is the one area that needs improvement, new targets would be a start.
Suggest you contact the Archery Chair regarding the 3D targets. I know they purchased a couple towards the end of last season that were not put out, but maybe there needs to be more. Also, let the Chair know what other upgrades you feel would be an improvement. Contact info is on the website.
I am not an "archer" so have no real idea of what improvements would be appropriate. A couple of years ago, I (with others) put a bit of time and sweat into the main Archery Range area involving the clearing, construction of target butts, shooting shed, broadhead crib, and elevated stand, but have done nothing with the Trail Walk other than keeping the trail itself mowed. I have spoken with archery users about cleaning up the 3D target side slashes and get two opinions ... leave it alone to better simulate hunting conditions, or to widen slashes to make it easier. I stay away from the argument and leave that to the Chair and the volunteers that would be doing the work.
I did speak with a former Chair a few years ago about extending the loop and he said there actually is an old loop that doubles back onto the main trail? I am not sure what could be done to actually expand the trail as that quarter is covered by a Consrvation easement restricting expansion beyond existing operations. Two winters ago, the main trail was extended a couple hundred meters when we had a mulcher walk though looking for a fence line.