Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Browning Hells Canyon Feedback plz

So I'm a bit of a Browning guy (mostly medium to heavy barreled abolt eclipse or xbolt varmint specials or hog stalkers) and considering a lighter weight rifle. I love 308''s as well as quicker calibers like the short mags and 7mm, but not a big fan of recoil so I typically am drawn to heavier rifles and sometimes brakes. Having said all that I'm intrigued by the xbolt Hells Canyon (lighter fluted, but with a brake and all in a cool protection coating) in maybe a 308 or 7mm.....
Anybody familiar with these models I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM

It's on my short list as well, seems like a pretty complete package. If it had been released before my last rifle purchase I'd probably own one. I'd be wary of factory glass bedding though, would want to take the action out and have a look before buying. If the qc is up to snuff it should be a great rifle. 7-08 is about right, maybe 6.5 CM if you reload.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Banned

I'm looking at hells canyon and the medallion but don't like brakes
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM

I have one in 6.5CM it is a hoot to shoot my only real displeasure with it is the trigger not so much the pull but it is not crisp other than that it is fun not the most accurate rifle I own but will do an inch @100 wish someone made a good aftermarket for it Jard does but they cost a left testicle and have sketchy reviews
Cheers
Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 PM

I'm also considering one for a new sheep rifle.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:08 AM

my X-bolt Stainless stalker in 308 is very well balanced, decently smooth bolt, very nice with the 60 degree bolt lift. the flush magazine is very comfortable when carrying and it pops in and out with a nice feel. its my lightest 308 but the recoil is managed very well, and feels less than some other guns. I turned my trigger weight down to the lightest adjustment and it is very smooth. as tony d said, the trigger has a different feel to it. i am used to a trigger feeling just the slightest takeup then the resistance of the sear before breaking, this trigger has no takeup and is kind of just there waiting, then upon pressure it smoothly goes. not a bad thing, but feels different than any of my other rifles. it has always been a good and accurate rifle. the factory bedding is done pretty well. ive never had a gunsmith bedding job, but it has a snug grip of the action so i'm happy. very good rifle for the price. i think the hells canyon paint job looks pretty cool.

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-17-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks guys for some feedback.....very tempting.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 PM

I like the looks and features of the hells canyon long range, that caught my eye.

The impression I have is that it is the same x-bolt rifle fit for a specific purpose. I'm not down playing the quality, I have the x-bolt white gold, and it feels similar to that, with the differences you'd expect.