Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Case tumbler media

Which do you guys all prefer corn husks or walnut shell for case Tumblr media? I'm currently using a free bag of corn husks for my media but want to know if the other is better or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Walnut for cleaning, (with smallish pieces of used dryer sheet to catch tarnish & oxide).

Corn for polishing, (with ~1 cap-full of NuFinish & mineral spirits mixed 50/50).

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:35 AM

bit of a hijack here, be very careful around the dust from the polishing operation. the dust is extremely toxic due to the priming compound from the spent primer, and will be absorbed in lung tissue. if using a liquid type media, the liquid will also have minute particles of lead in very high concentrations, be aware and handle carefully. manufacturers are trying to come up with a non toxic priming compound.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
bit of a hijack here, be very careful around the dust from the polishing operation. the dust is extremely toxic due to the priming compound from the spent primer, and will be absorbed in lung tissue. if using a liquid type media, the liquid will also have minute particles of lead in very high concentrations, be aware and handle carefully. manufacturers are trying to come up with a non toxic priming compound.

Hey awesome thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
I always tumble outside and after handling tumbled cases, wash my hands
If you had to tumble inside, you could deprime cases first (use a universal decapper and you do not need to lube cases). You will likely get media stuck in the flash hole, but if you resize them, the depriming rod will push out media easier than it pushes out a spent primer.