Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-13-2016, 06:48 PM

Default Nocturnal bucks

So I hunt a harvested alfalfa field that has a wood lot that is roughly 30 yards wide and about 400 yards long sorry for the odd measurements that's how I gauge it. The wood lot neighbors a harvested potato field with no bush just fence. Anyways I have 2 really nice WT bucks on cam and they seem to still only be active at night half hour past legal light and throughout the night. My question is, is this normal behavior this time of the year for bucks? I'm thinking maybe the bush on the property I hunt doesn't offer enough cover? And possibly they are traveling from a neighboring property with more cover where they bed and come to feed on my field?

What do you guys/gals think? Yesterday when I was out checking cams I did bump a WT doe that was bedded along the field edges the wood lot so possibly it is enough cover?

Maybe once the rut is full swing I'll have more action?

Anyways here's a few pics of the bucks thought I would share;

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Red stags with any amount of reasonable hunting pressure go nocturnal.

That's why a lot of my hunting is stalking bedding areas. Requires the ability to have good eyes and be able to snap shoot. But its put lots of stags on the ground!

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A112 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 PM

I'm hunting in an Archery only zone I'm the only one hunting the field haven't seen any other hunters in the area
Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 PM

Default Nocturnal bucks

When these guys aren in that field at night theyre some place else. Figure where that place is and get between there and the field. They'll be cruising for does right away if not already so use that to advantage.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 PM

Get back in the bush. Try not to bump bedded deer. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
When these guys aren in that field at night theyre some place else. Figure where that place is and get between there and the field. They'll be cruising for does right away if not already so use that to advantage.
Yeah I have an idea of where they are coming from unfortunately it's on private as well and no one gets oermsission to hunt on that land ladies an anti. Anyways I'm hoping this wood lot will hold some does if that's the case