Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 AM

Default Building a 10/22 worth the $

Hello all,

I own a 10/22 now and have been thinking of either upgrading some parts (bull barrel, trigger, bolt/reciever) or just building a new 10/22 all together. I'm just wondering if it will increase accuraccy enough to justify the $.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM

I did mine up probably 15yrs ago, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I had the stock trigger reworked at KS arms long gone now. I installed an over travel screw in the trigger guard, put on a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber heavy barrel, although extremely light Put the unit back in a hogue stock. Mounted a Weaver 4x rimfire scope. This machine is u believably accurate and a pleasure to shoot, nice and light for carry, and just a joy to own.

Go Do It!!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:34 AM

I put a 16" Green mountain heavy fluted barrel on mine, replaced the trigger group with a Volquartsen and added a Hogue stock. No gopher is safe within 80 yards I would definitely do it again.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 AM

I just put a Volquartsen complete trigger assembly in mine, the TG2000, and it made all the difference in the world. Trigger is world class, helps accuracy more than putting a new barrel on (though that helps too, still thinking about doing that). Mine is ss in a laminate, and it is fabulous fun. Also, a nylon bolt buffer to replace the steel one, and it doesn't clack around and make so much noise. This is where I'd start if I were you:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I just put a Volquartsen complete trigger assembly in mine, the TG2000, and it made all the difference in the world. Trigger is world class, helps accuracy more than putting a new barrel on (though that helps too, still thinking about doing that). Mine is ss in a laminate, and it is fabulous fun. Also, a nylon bolt buffer to replace the steel one, and it doesn't clack around and make so much noise. This is where I'd start if I were you:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A
This^^^^^^^^
Trigger replacement pertaining to the 10/22 will increase accuracy more than any other additions. If you just want to add a bull barrel and new stock.. No need to articulate that to fellow gun lovers.
Have fun with your build and post pictures.
H1602
Old 11-27-2015, 11:01 AM

As with most custom stuff, the most gains are the cheapest. To get better yet results the costs are exponential to the returns.
I have two pimped 10/22 and liked the process of building them.
One option I really like is to have the gunsmith modify the bolt release so that one finger is needed instead of two hands.
I don't know what bashaw sports (pud) did physically to it but its very nice.
Maybe someone here knows how to do it.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-27-2015, 11:04 AM

I upgraded my 10/22 with parts form Rimfire Sports, but that was years ago.
They no longer ship to Canada.

Any Canadian sources?

I remember seeing the bolt release mod on youtube. I bought the part at Rimfire Sports.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 AM

I'm thinking I'm going to go with new trigger (Volquartsen), bull barrel and new stock. I had already upgraded the hammer, sear mechanism for a lighter pull but not happy with it. Also did the bolt release mod.

Does replacing the receiver and bolt make a big difference in accuracy?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:30 PM

As with most custom stuff, the most gains are the cheapest. To get better yet results the costs are exponential to the returns.
I have two pimped 10/22 and liked the process of building them.
One option I really like is to have the gunsmith modify the bolt release so that one finger is needed instead of two hands.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-27-2015, 01:56 PM

I have no idea what the various upgrades cost, but would be interested to know if I made the right choice in simply buying a VQ which was about $1400 all in. I do not spend much time on the RimFire Range, so I don't know what the 10/22 upgrades are capable of... Mine will do that - 5 consecutive five shot groups under 1/2" @ 50M thing - which I think would compare very favourably with any tricked out 10/22?
Old 11-27-2015, 02:38 PM

The fun is building them.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
The fun is building them.
True, good functional gun right out of the box.

Grizz
Old 11-27-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Lots of videos on youtube on how to do this mod. Here is a good step by step for doing it as well. http://www.instructables.com/id/Ruge...ease/?ALLSTEPS
Basically you just grind the hole in the bolt release from a heart shape to a more egg like shape.

Since you've got the trigger apart you might as well polish some of the parts with jewelers rouge and get a much smoother trigger as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-28-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have no idea what the various upgrades cost, but would be interested to know if I made the right choice in simply buying a VQ which was about $1400 all in. I do not spend much time on the RimFire Range, so I don't know what the 10/22 upgrades are capable of... Mine will do that - 5 consecutive five shot groups under 1/2" @ 50M thing - which I think would compare very favourably with any tricked out 10/22?

I built two 10/22 rifles, and sold both before purchasing a Volquartsen. The Volquartsen was the most accurate, and unlike the builds, it actually retains a good percentage of value if you decide to sell it.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I built two 10/22 rifles, and sold both before purchasing a Volquartsen. The Volquartsen was the most accurate, and unlike the builds, it actually retains a good percentage of value if you decide to sell it.
This is so true. Resale of a modded 10/22 will not get resale value like a Volquartsen.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:27 AM

My buddy built one and is about 1g all in. Hes happy with it, Shoots well, really depends what your looking for.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 PM

Default mods

The bolt release mod on the 10/22 is probably the best mod to start with and is self-doable. There are some great videos on the net that show the step by step. Studying these and then going step by step worked well for me and this was a first attempt at doing any kind of a mod.

I also put it into a Butler Creek, snow camo, synthetic, thumb hole stock. It dropped right in, barrel is floated (no ring) and it shoots great.

After about 150 rounds, was at the range and noticed a couple of pieces on the bench - spring, metal piece. It turned out the extractor mechanism failed and one piece was lost forever. Paid a gunsmith to order a part and install it. In hindsight, I should have looked this one up on the net and tried it myself first. Tricky, but doable if you know for sure what parts you need. The next problem is to get parts. If in Edm. ok but to get them shipped - pricey.

The only rifle in a lifetime of many that I have had to take to a gunsmith and am not prepared to invest any more time/money in this one.

Now have a Marlin 60 as well and am holding my breath. So delicate and so much plastic. Make sure you watch a good video before following the manual to strip down and re-assemble to clean. The recoil spring is long and easily prone to kinking when either removing or replacing the bolt (no, don't ask

I think I'm done with semi-autos.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Default Building a 10/22 worth the $

Did a bunch of mods to mine. Trigger, bolt mechanism kit. But the biggest improvement came from head spacing the bolt. Very accurate with stock barrel.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:14 PM

I did basically the same thing. I sold off the old*stock and barrel and went for a ebay green mountain bull barrel at the time the volquartsen trigger and sear kit in a Hugue stock. I tried it with the stock trigger first...the upgrade made a huge difference. Ive since added a bolt buffer and edge extractor. I couldn't be happier as at 50m I will put 10 shots in a ragged hole. Try the hammer and sear kit first for your trigger and go from there for your biggest bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I put a 16" Green mountain heavy fluted barrel on mine, replaced the trigger group with a Volquartsen and added a Hogue stock. No gopher is safe within 80 yards I would definitely do it again.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 PM

Try an aftermarket buffer. Mine did not like it and it prefers the steel buffer. Not all are created the same.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
What was the cost?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 PM

I would just get an Anschutz and you wouldn't need to worry about losing a bunch of money. Or even a CZ 550 American with 22lr and 17hmr barrels.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Banned

Thumbs up yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhonky View Post
Hello all,

I own a 10/22 now and have been thinking of either upgrading some parts (bull barrel, trigger, bolt/reciever) or just building a new 10/22 all together. I'm just wondering if it will increase accuraccy enough to justify the $.
Yes.

I did, unfortunaly after 30 years it is no longer relevant.

But it works.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Banned

Fun to do a rebuild, I did one years ago but if your main goal is accuracy, I would spend the money on a .17. Don't shoot my 10/22 to much anymore, the accuracy and range of the .17 is just so much better than a .22.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Banned

Arrow

I did mine years ago, when you could order everything you needed from Brownells and the $ was at par. 16" Green Mountain fluted barrel, swack of Volquartsen internals, Hogue stock, etc...

Reminds me that I should blow off the dust and go pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pewing!~