Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Where did you get the magazine?
This is where I got mine
http://17hmrmag.com/
Old 11-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Banned

I have the Savage as well with thumbhole stock and bull barrel. The bull barrel is a little heavy if you are walking and shooting with it. 99% of the time I am set up with a bi-pod or table so weight is not really an issue.
I am happy with the Savage, I have one in .223 as well
Old 11-30-2015, 02:14 PM

I've had 4, 17HMR rifles in this order;

Savage 93 HB with a thumbhole stock
CZ452 Varmint HB
Savage 93 with a laminated stock/fluted barrel HB

Marlin 917 HB

I bought the Marlin after selling the other ones a few years back...and CHOSE the Marlin because at the time...I couldn't afford another CZ. The only drawback with the CZ (if you can call it that) was that it preferred the 20gr HPs...not the 17gr. V-Max I wanted it to shoot well. The Marlin shows a strong preference FOR the 17gr. V-Max. Shoots well enough that I put an aftermarket trigger in it (Rifle Basix) and it will be making it's first trip west this coming spring.

Cons? The mags on 917s ride-up a metal pc. that I swear is set a couple of degrees too far back. Sometimes, the bolt has some trouble picking-up a round from the mag but if you apply an ounce of rear pressure on the mag when closing the bolt~no issues. Haven't decided whether or not I'll modify that metal pc. Looks pretty easy.

So, having owned 4 HMRs now....I think I can say, with some confidence, the CZ is the best among them. The Savages had nothing on my Marlin...yet the Marlin is a more full-sized rifle...and it just feels good to me. The Savages never really did~but they were so well loved, I thought I might be missing something.