Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 08:04 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Winter Trapping/Snaring Gloves

I'm having a tough time with finding a nice pair of winter work gloves. I want a rubber palm glove that's warm but my favourite gloves keep getting pulled off the shelf. I think maybe it was Atlas gloves that's made them, they had two pairs, a rubber palm camo glove and a rubber palm fluro green fuzzy sub zero glove, both are off the market.

I need the rubber palm glove for grip.

Must surely be something out there that is both supple and warm enough. Ideally I need two different gloves, something good for -10 C and something that can work in -40 C.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Default gloves

Princes Auto has a big selection to choose from...and the prices are usually the most reasonable.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Marty, I’ve found a couple pairs last year at Peavey mart that suited my needs similar to what you described.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Try ULine. They carry some cold weather working gloves.

Hands will get cold quicker in gloves at -40. Get a good pair of -10 gloves and wear a pair of gauntlets over the gloves between sets.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Try ULine. They carry some cold weather working gloves.

Hands will get cold quicker in gloves at -40. Get a good pair of -10 gloves and wear a pair of gauntlets over the gloves between sets.
This is what I do ..but I'm not setting + - 500 snares as marty does either ..but I find once I build up my body heat from the walk in my hands don't get cold
Old 09-23-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I'm having a tough time with finding a nice pair of winter work gloves. I want a rubber palm glove that's warm but my favourite gloves keep getting pulled off the shelf. I think maybe it was Atlas gloves that's made them, they had two pairs, a rubber palm camo glove and a rubber palm fluro green fuzzy sub zero glove, both are off the market.

I need the rubber palm glove for grip.

Must surely be something out there that is both supple and warm enough. Ideally I need two different gloves, something good for -10 C and something that can work in -40 C.
Could try Vallen on 9th ave north in Lethbridge also Marty they have a pretty good selection of gloves to
Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 PM

Default My favourite winter work gloves.

You can’t go wrong with these ice ninja’s.

https://safetysuppliescanada.com/the...ce-bdg-gloves/

They have them at acklands too.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 AM
AO Sponsor

Them ice ninjas look like a good glove. Are they warm enough in that record cold for those record days? Had my second best day of my kiyute career and she was down to -38 C. I believe my hands were very cold that day. My hands are kinda ratchet so I need a glove that is both soft and warm, and need that rubber palm for grip.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Them ice ninjas look like a good glove. Are they warm enough in that record cold for those record days? Had my second best day of my kiyute career and she was down to -38 C. I believe my hands were very cold that day. My hands are kinda ratchet so I need a glove that is both soft and warm, and need that rubber palm for grip.
Or you could keep your hands warm by letting us come take dogs out of snares while you sit in the truck .. split em 50/50 ..k?
So far Ive never caught enough in a day that cold hands are a problem , I wear mitts and take em on and off to reset ..
Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 PM

Smile Gloves

Quote:
Hey Marty , you could always have Marilyn keep your hands warm . Ha , Ha . But on the serious side I just picked up two pairs of Ninja gloves . The fleece inside looks good & will be better than the non insulated rubber palm hyflex I normally use . When it got too cold I wore my gauntlets over them which worked for checking sets but you're still putting on & off gauntlets . Better than freezing fingers which I have trouble with due to passed exposure . I hope the ninja's will be better all around .
Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 PM

Marty I came across a pair of diving glove a couple of years ago that I wear when trapping rat in the winter. Have a rubber neoprene palm that if flexible enough to set conibears all day long. Had my hands in the water pulling rats out of pushups and never got cold. Got hit with a cold snap and temp dropped below -40, spent the day pulling traps and all I added was a pair of those light white cotton gloves inside the neoprenes and was quite comfortable. Very comfortable and hands don’t get sore and tired. I think I have the brand and company I got them from somewhere in the shop, will find it and let you know.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:41 AM

The gloves I use are a glove that is used by cold water diver who need a glove that will keep them warm but at the same time is flexible that they can do small tasks, such as removing bolts. They are called “TommyD” gloves and are sold by Tommysports Inc.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:00 AM

Default can't find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
The gloves I use are a glove that is used by cold water diver who need a glove that will keep them warm but at the same time is flexible that they can do small tasks, such as removing bolts. They are called “TommyD” gloves and are sold by Tommysports Inc.
I couldn't find this business on google search
Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Yes.

Quote:
I think you should give them a try. I find them very warm in the field in 40 below. The fleece inside is really nice.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 PM

Try Tommydsports inc
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks a bunch Mikey! I will, and I'm going to get a few ice ninjas too. Just can't have enough warm gloves laying around when she's -38 and there are large quantities just raring to be packed back to the truck. Like very, very large quantities! Sure glad they can take a beatin and keep on tickin'... oh wait, that sounds horrible!

Lickin'n!

(Why on earth does anybody read anything I write? Does anybody know?)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:28 AM

I've had my ICE NINGAS for a week now and really like them.
At first seemed tight but they've stretched enough now that they conform to the hand and feel great - very warm & dry.
I bought mine at Acklands for either 7.99 or 8.99
The other day, while at HALFORD, I saw them for $13.99
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM

I just picked up some gloves from U-Line in Edmonton. They only sell by the dozen, less than $6.00 a pair (I picked up, not shipped), all sizes, high visibility, my mediums and my wife's smalls fit good and are comfortable. We haven't tried them in the field yet though. They seem to be the same as the ninjas. U-Line (I think) is basically a mail order business but have a huge warehouse in west Edmonton.
For that price, maybe a savvy snare salesman could re-sell at a small markup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1488.JPG (109.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Banned

FWIW......I have a pair of those Ice Ninjas and they wouldn't be any good down to the -30 temperatures that Marty mentioned. Rubber gets cold very fast and is not a good insulator. I'm going to assume that Marty is looking for gloves with the dexterity that allows him to hang snares because work gloves are fine for just loading and unloading coyotes. I don't think that gloves warm enough that allow you to hang snares and keep your hands warm at -30 temperatures exist but maybe. In those type of temperatures I wear cotton anti contact gloves inside of mitts and if it's really cold and I'm hanging a bunch of snares I might throw in a hand warmer in each mitt.

I'm going to give these insulated mechanics gloves from Costco a shot this season. The dexterity is there but I doubt that they'll keep my hands warm enough after -20.

https://www.costco.ca/Terra-Performa...100455504.html
Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Oh whine Davey... whine! C'mon...be a man!