Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Blew up wifes suv real good.

Was driving the wifes 2016 kia Sorento yesterday driving my nephew to the airport. Going up the hill towards devon the engine blew spraying oil all over the engine compartment causing a fire. Thanks to the devon fire department for a very quick response. Called kia roadside assistance as vehicle only has 45k on it. They brushed me off saying it was a insurance issue. Talked to my insurance company they say its about to get real fun!!!! Pretty sure its a write off ass I had the sunroof open and the windows down trying to clear the smoke and then the battery died . The chemical spray from the fire extinguisher coated the inside. Never had a issue with the vehicle till yesterday. First time having a engine blow at hiway speeds, it gets your attention real fast!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 AM

Hope you took lots of pictures.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Hope you took lots of pictures.
Took pictures from a ways back took a short video but that hiway is a bitch for traffic and I had to pull over on the left side as it was my only out!!! rubberneckers are idiots. almost caused 2 collisions!!!!
Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 AM

Did your nefiew make his flight? It reminds me of a time when the rental car (Tarus) dropped a transmission when driving to the airport for an international flight. My family and I took a taxi and just made our flight.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Nephew made the flight!!!! Barely!!!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Kia, enough said....wife had one a few years ago...piece of crap, she blew her engine too...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Sure glad you are ok, surprised about the Kia, have thought they were a pretty good little econo vehicle. I would be fighting hard with Kia as it is under warranty, that is sure as hell not an insurance issue.
If you have grief with them get ahold of me, I may be able to help.

edit- tow it to KIA where you bought it and tell them to fix it. You should not have to do a damn thing with warranty, also have the tow company bill the stealership.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Glad nobody was hurt and your nephew still made his flight.

I have owned two Kia’s and multiple friends and family do as well. All of them have been very happy with them. Unfortunately there is no perfect vehicle out there but I would be happy to drive a Kia again. I love my truck but sometimes a car or smaller SUV is just nicer.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 AM

If the e fine let go, and it's still under warranty, it's definitely a warranty issue. Hopefully your dealer did all of the services, or you have records for all services.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the e fine let go, and it's still under warranty, it's definitely a warranty issue. Hopefully your dealer did all of the services, or you have records for all services.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Sure glad you are ok, surprised about the Kia, have thought they were a pretty good little econo vehicle. I would be fighting hard with Kia as it is under warranty, that is sure as hell not an insurance issue.
If you have grief with them get ahold of me, I may be able to help.

edit- tow it to KIA where you bought it and tell them to fix it. You should not have to do a damn thing with warranty, also have the tow company bill the stealership.
Like I mentioned my wife went through this with Kia warranty and man what a battle but we got what we wanted eventually. It was the time it took to get things done, the Kia lack of support even when things were written in black and white that lead her to get another different brand vehicle.
Frustrating, vehicle will break down etc, it's the warranty and the service that keeps people loyal to a brand. To the OP hope it all works out for you.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Banned

Thats funny (not for you), but I blew an engine going up that hill too in a 80's voyager (mitsubishi engine) that I had just bought from my dad...
not surprising given what I know now about those old junkers.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Was driving the wifes 2016 kia Sorento yesterday driving my nephew to the airport. Going up the hill towards devon the engine blew spraying oil all over the engine compartment causing a fire. Thanks to the devon fire department for a very quick response. Called kia roadside assistance as vehicle only has 45k on it. They brushed me off saying it was a insurance issue. Talked to my insurance company they say its about to get real fun!!!! Pretty sure its a write off ass I had the sunroof open and the windows down trying to clear the smoke and then the battery died . The chemical spray from the fire extinguisher coated the inside. Never had a issue with the vehicle till yesterday. First time having a engine blow at hiway speeds, it gets your attention real fast!!!!!!!!!
Crazy. Good luck. Review online doesn't show much except a history for Kia reneging on pricey repairs. Looks like they challenge oil change timing etc. Even when done at the dealership.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Insurance companies are fairly interested in fire causes when they have to pay out for them. They will probably recover the loss from KIA, if they can prove it was an OEM issue, then get a recall issued for it, if they see a problem there.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM

2.4l , 3.3L or 2.0L Turbo?

Last edited by omega50; 04-15-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 AM

First off, I'm glad you are safe and nephew made the flight. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row as to service, and the thing is under warranty. May be you were just dealing with an angry person at Kia who was taking out their bad day on you. Best of luck on a speedy settlement.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
2.4l or 2.0L Turbo?
It's the v6!! Think it's 3.5 !!!
Old 04-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
It's the v6!! Think it's 3.5 !!!
Crazy-That will get the adrenaline pumping
Glad you were not injured or worse

My niece has the same model and year. I will pass it on as a heads up.

Last edited by omega50; 04-15-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Don’t wish to hijack this thread so please PM me if possible. Had my vehicle towed to dealership and while on their property, the vehicle was broken into and personal items were stolen.

Service manager said it is the security companies responsibility and none of theirs.

Recordings are supposedly under review and I have filled in a stolen property report with RCMP.

Does anyone have experience with the navigation of these events? Would like to hear your story.

Apologies to 1shotwade.

Last edited by Stricks; 04-15-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Kia , Ford , gmc. Honda . They all have there problems and lemons . Pay your money and take your chances. I don’t care what anyone says . They are built for the shareholders benefit not the consumer. I know people with ford pick ups trading them in because of serious issues.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 AM

KIA=Killed In Action.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
KIA=Killed In Action.
In this case...Kollapsed In Ashes
Old 04-15-2018, 01:37 PM

I really liked the look of the Sonata so started investigating Hyundai and Kia. They are junk period and there is days reading on line of people having warranty issues even though there were recalls.

Even when working good, the sedans are completely gutless, the interiors junkie and the stereos suck.

A year or two later a friend of my daughter had the engine go on a Kia. They wanted to do a full investigation into a recalled engine and the young fellow was to pay. Apparently that policy has changed but the quality is still lacking.

How Hyundai does it is really no mystery.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM

This is a very common problem with Kia/ Hyundai. For those that have them. Flush your oil every oil change and only use full synthetic oil and only go 4000 Kim in between oil changes. It is a known problem with direct injection (GDI) and fuels that contain alcohol. If not trade it dump it befor warranty runs out. I know of 8 that have done exactly what yours did in the last 3 months
Old 04-15-2018, 04:11 PM

Hope everything works out for you! If not, I happen to know a guy that's selling a great next-to-new XTerra Pro4x for a steal
Old 04-15-2018, 04:34 PM

Jeezus, i hope you have all your service records in line cause they will try to fight university those.

I have a kia, 2L turbo optima, we have had no issues with it except the AC fan needed replacement at 65k. I have 155k on it now. Kia is actually rated third in quality after Toyota and Lexus and above all German brands but lemons exist in every brand.

However, I would never buy another kia again. This is due to the resale value. We walked out of the dealer having paid 42k after taxes. 5 years later, the car was appraised at $7000 with 100k on it. Even though it had extended warranty to 160k. Basically, the resale value is horrible on them, do a quick search on Autotrader and you'll see.

I would possibly buy a used kia, but never new
Old 04-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Ratings only have to do with who but the writer of them the best lunch. Ie Vega was car of the year. Pinto was car of the year. Dodge omni h/ horizon was car of the year. The list goes on and on
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM

The dealership is not responsible of vehicles broken into or damaged outside on the lot. You're insurance company is responsible.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 PM

I bought a Hyundai. The thing is absolutely brutal on snowy roads and now Im reading about problems with the GDI engine. Was thinking about dumping it and taking the loss. If the engines are that bad it'll be gone even if I have to take a substantial loss on it because I can't afford to replace the engine in the thing. Anything out of South Korea is crap IMO
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I bought a Hyundai. The thing is absolutely brutal on snowy roads and now Im reading about problems with the GDI engine. Was thinking about dumping it and taking the loss. If the engines are that bad it'll be gone even if I have to take a substantial loss on it because I can't afford to replace the engine in the thing. Anything out of South Korea is crap IMO
I have 80,000km on my Hyundai, and no issues at all, my father had well over 100,000km on his, and no issues. Both are AWD vehicles and are excellent on snowy roads. A close friend of my fathers is a Hyundai dealer, and the vehicles have been very reliable.