Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Banned

Default Passed the test, need clarification

I passed the online test through AHEIA , certificate is on the way to get my hunting license. I need clarification on magazine capacity. Now I understand that a shotgun cannot have more than a 3-round capacity. So, let's say I have my Mossberg pinned down to 3 round capacity and proper waterfowl ammo. That is the only firearm I am using for the purpose of hunting.

BUT

I also have with me an SKS (pinned to 5 rounds naturally) Or my other shorty Mossberg fully loaded with slugs in case of a large predator attack. I am NOT using either of the latter 2 for actual hunting.

Is this legal? Or does the shorty/SKS also have to be limited to 3 round capacity?

I do not care about your opinions as to what firearms I should or shouldn't have with me out in the bush. (I need to be defensive here, all these forums are all the same for every 1 helpful person there's 9 e-idiots, fact) I just need to know whether or not it's legal because I am not clear on the answer and I do not want to break any laws but also would like to not be mauled to death. (Which is near impossible on every one of these forums, but whatever lol)

Thanks guys and gals
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

you have multiple questions... magazine capacities and additional firearms, you are talking about big game hunting and bird hunting. you will need to obey all of the rules across all of the sections that you fall under.

there are multiple resources online and at local outdoors stores that have information on how to safely be in the outdoors where you may encounter wildlife.

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 AM

two shotgun cannot be used together. I mean all loaded at the hunting field. This is for sure against the reg. but one shotgun and a rifle should be ok.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 AM

Where did anyone read that having 2 shotguns at a hunt is illegal? Please enlighten me. Never seen that reg before.

To the original poster, if you are unsure call Fish and Wildlife because they are who you are going to have to explain it to. From a firearms perspective the shotgun with slugs is fine. From a F&W perspective I would call them and explain that I want the slug gun for predator defence. I am in the same boat as you this year especially with all the bears and grizz where I hunt. I don't step out of the truck without my big gun when I am bow hunting.

Call and ask for clarification. Most F&W are pretty reasonable and clear. Nothing you are saying sounds illegal at all to me. It doesn't contravene the firearms act and the real explanation is going to be to F&W if they ask you to explain the slug gun. That being said if it's a big deal go buy a plug for the slug gun.. Simple, problem solved.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
Where did anyone read that having 2 shotguns at a hunt is illegal? Please enlighten me. Never seen that reg before.

To the original poster, if you are unsure call Fish and Wildlife because they are who you are going to have to explain it to. From a firearms perspective the shotgun with slugs is fine. From a F&W perspective I would call them and explain that I want the slug gun for predator defence. I am in the same boat as you this year especially with all the bears and grizz where I hunt. I don't step out of the truck without my big gun when I am bow hunting.

Call and ask for clarification. Most F&W are pretty reasonable and clear. Nothing you are saying sounds illegal at all to me. It doesn't contravene the firearms act and the real explanation is going to be to F&W if they ask you to explain the slug gun. That being said if it's a big deal go buy a plug for the slug gun.. Simple, problem solved.
General regulations under game bird line number 5

have more than one shotgun, for personal use, at any time while hunting migratory game birds unless each shotgun, in excess of one, is unloaded and disassembled or unloaded and cased.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM

im sure that fish and wildlife love answering all the phone calls to questions that are clearly stated in the regulations. Before asking a question about what the regulations say, it would be a good idea to try reading the regulations cover to cover.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM

If you think you're gonna trundle around in the bush dragging a rifle and a shotgun, you're optics on hunting are skewed.

For starters you'll never have the desired firearm in your hands ready to go, when stuff gets real.

Secondly you'll be so trussed up you'll likely never creep through a willow thicket, or sound like a D6 coming through the bush cuz you'll always be fighting stuff on brush and branches.

And if you think you need bear protection in the form of a shotgun while big game hunting, you've got some issues with some sort of phobia that needs to be resolved.

And it's 2 rounds in your shotgun Mag, so it's 3 rounds total(2+1)

There are no absolutes
Old 09-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies folks. Much appreciated. Dick284, perhaps I should have mentioned that I am not hunting anything but birds until I gain more experience with rifles and go along on a few hunts and participate in the dressing/quartering/hauling it out part first.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteelcrush View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks. Much appreciated. Dick284, perhaps I should have mentioned that I am not hunting anything but birds until I gain more experience with rifles and go along on a few hunts and participate in the dressing/quartering/hauling it out part first.
Birdshot at pointblank range on a bear will be lethal. Nothing to worry about. Leave the sks at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
General regulations under game bird line number 5

have more than one shotgun, for personal use, at any time while hunting migratory game birds unless each shotgun, in excess of one, is unloaded and disassembled or unloaded and cased.

MAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
im sure that fish and wildlife love answering all the phone calls to questions that are clearly stated in the regulations. Before asking a question about what the regulations say, it would be a good idea to try reading the regulations cover to cover.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=338Bluff;3333555]Birdshot at pointblank range on a bear will be lethal. Nothing to worry about. Leave the sks at home. [QUOTE]

Agree. No need for the sks to go along.
Three rounds of 3 inch BB from a semi at 15 yards , 7 yards and holy Frig yards, should do just fine in the case of "just in case"
Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 PM

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...-bear-birdshot

Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM

but the SKS has a bayonet!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 PM

I would just take your shotgun and bear spray. I carry a couple of slugs and BB in my pocket just in case the spray doesn't fully work. The fear of the bear will pass as you get out more and realize it's not what you imagine.you will enjoy your hunt much more with out all the extras. Have fun getting your birds.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Birdshot at pointblank range on a bear will be lethal. Nothing to worry about. Leave the sks at home.

Frigg.... I looked that up. Had no idea. Would have never considered that a possibility.

I'd absolutely hate having to dump 5 rounds of 7.62x39 into a bear or wolf to protect myself. Nice to know push comes to shove I can end it humanely without a 2nd slug gun.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:50 PM

Bring some rifled slugs...for your shot gun while hunting birds...two birds with one gun.

LC
Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Bring some rifled slugs...for your shot gun while hunting birds...two birds with one gun.

LC
Yup. Get 2 birds stoned at once lol
Old 09-20-2016, 06:40 AM

Hindsight is 50/50
I would also get rid of the sks altogether. Brother had one and it fired on its own while sitting on the ground with no one touching it. We were about to walk down range to look at the target and could've been shot by it. Scared the chit out of me.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Hindsight is 50/50
I would also get rid of the sks altogether. Brother had one and it fired on its own while sitting on the ground with no one touching it. We were about to walk down range to look at the target and could've been shot by it. Scared the chit out of me.
Within months of having my PAL I sold both SKS's I had bought, not so much over safety concerns but rather because I found/find them cheap and annoying. I still have plenty of 7.62x39 and despite everything I figured it would be a rugged and reliable backup gun in case (as I found out is true) having 2 shotguns on a hunt is not allowed. So I don't actually have one right now. May or may not pick one up again. Not sure yet.

And why was the SKS loaded to begin with if you were headed down range?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 AM

If the gun is not on your person with muzzle direction under control for a safe direction, it shouldnt have ammo in it.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:39 PM

A little off topic from the original post but I hope this person learned a valuable lesson about leaving a firearm loaded and unattended. Almost became a statistic and paid the ultimate price.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:56 PM

Default cooking off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Hindsight is 50/50
That round may have cooked off from sitting in a hot chamber.
This is quite likely if your brother had been rapid firing his SKS.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:58 PM

Wow, I didn't expect this response. I was using the story to convince someone to get rid of those dangerous pieces of chit, not show that I need a lesson on range safety. Here's what happened:
At the private personal property, not public range, we were sighting in at about 50 yards. Took one shot at a time and would walk down WITH THE FIREARM SAFELY IN MY HANDS, and look at things on target then come back. We did not rapid fire. Brother owned the gun but I was shooting with dad. I had just fired a shot while laying down prone and left the gun pointed down range on the ground while I was pushing up to get off the ground and stand. Obviously it would be silly to be getting up from prone while holding a loaded firearm. The gun fired while laying there untouched. Scared the chit out of me.

BUT if I would've told the story as it happened someone may not have been as convinced to get rid of such a nasty piece of garbage. That's if they would've read the whole long story in the first place. I thought it was obvious details were left out but apparently assumptions can be quickly made.

You can all sleep well at night knowing I'm not a danger to myself or others while around firearms lol. I didn't almost become a statistic. But someone doing something as commonplace as I was could have easily made one wrong move and done so

EDIT: thank you blue steel crush for asking the question to clarify

Last edited by kujoseto; 09-20-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 PM

A couple of things I'd add: bear attacks are rare and wolf attacks are almost fiction. If you're interested in hunting, sell the SKS and buy a real rifle. Lastly, open actions can't shoot anybody, so always open your action after shooting.

Oh - and don't waste time on shotguns with barrels under 26".
Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 AM

Great points two bucks. A great book would be about 5 pages of matter of fact tidbits just like those that are great advice and maybe not always what everyone will choose but at least give a good guideline of what is a good option or sound advice. Maybe a great thread idea actually.
I have seen an open action that slips closed on its own. That situation I described above it was open. I'm pretty sure when it slammed shut that was what made it fire. The machining "tolerances" on those guns are brutal. It was sitting open a good 5 seconds because we were chatting a bit before I started to get up
Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 AM

Is it easier to backpeddle when the bike is still rolling or after it has stopped?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Is it easier to backpeddle when the bike is still rolling or after it has stopped?
Ya buddy? You're hilarious.

Edit: add link
Common problem
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtxMPAXWV8
Why would I make this chit up? I have nothing to prove to a bunch of strangers online. Just trying to warn people of the dangers. If I tell the whole story, as I now have, how it actually unfolded it would be easy for people to dismiss it and say "well safe handling would still prevent any incidents". Sure, but how many times have you been around someone else that doesn't have the same care and attention to safe handling as you do? Watch the video above. I would not go shooting with these guys. Tons of examples online of slam fire sks. The only thing I can think of is that the sks tipped slightly and that caused the bolt to slam forward. It was on a bipod so it was less likely to fall, but it may have canted and been just enough movement

Last edited by kujoseto; 09-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Im just happy to learn so much more about these sks guns. I know Ill never buy one if they shoot so negligently by themselves.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Im just happy to learn so much more about these sks guns. I know Ill never buy one if they shoot so negligently by themselves.
I'll take that at face value and assume you mean it.

I would never buy one nor go shooting with anyone with one again. If I saw one at a range I'd leave. I'm not a big supporter of trying to restrict things but I wish they didn't ever enter the country.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:10 AM

I agree that those stupid things slapped together in a slop and then stored for as long as they have been and then typically fed by same situation ammo. They are about as quality as a homebuilt potatoe gun.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:36 AM

I apologise for the derail but for safety reasons...

The SKS is an alright gun. It has three safety issues that one should know about prior to using them.

1. The safety is a trigger safety only.

2. The firing pin can get stuck in the fwd position resulting in slam fires. One should ensure the pin is clean and "jingles in the block" before assembly and ensure that the weapon is cleaned periodically. The earlier versions had a spring assist which was a better design and helps to prevent the pin being lodged in the hole

3. Sear engagement. One should check the sear engagement and ensure it is positive. There is the risk that the sear may slip if negative or neutral when bounced/dropped. If a round is in the chamber and the weapon is charged. (see point 1 re the safety). After market sears can be purchased that are cheap and easy to install.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-25.htm