Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM

Default Oops!

6th shot with new string and rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1757.JPG (137.7 KB, 371 views)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:14 PM

Nice shooting! I just put a new string on as well. But my groups are all over the place. I'm assuming it's because I turned up my poundage to the max (getting 73lbs). I was shooting 67-68 lbs. before. the I also just recently switched to a vertical pin sight, as a fellow who shoots without a peep, I'm having troubles with lining up the pins. I'm so used to just lining up the pins with the side of the string! But now I have two sides Obstruction free!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Nice shooting! I just put a new string on as well. But my groups are all over the place. I'm assuming it's because I turned up my poundage to the max (getting 73lbs). I was shooting 67-68 lbs. before. the I also just recently switched to a vertical pin sight, as a fellow who shoots without a peep, I'm having troubles with lining up the pins. I'm so used to just lining up the pins with the side of the string! But now I have two sides Obstruction free!
We all have a comfort zone...back in the day everyone was 29" draw and 70 lbs...which lead to many bad habits...

My comfort zone with present bow is 66 lbs...with Mathews it was 64 lbs...
anything else and my shooting suffers...

My first suggestion would be to turn back down to 67 -68 lbs and see if it makes a difference...besides I will guarantee you the critter is not going to know the difference in that 5 FPS...that 5 FPS may be over bowing you on you comfort zone and just lead to bad habits...

Not sure what you mean by vertical pins ..the standard sight has vertical pins

Neil
Old 06-21-2016, 01:18 PM

1 turn on each = 3lbs? Matthews bow.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
1 turn on each = 3lbs? Matthews bow.
Pending on what model..2-3 lbs... XT and Prestige has course thread limb bolts so were more..

Worked on Mathews for 20 plus years so knew them well...

here is a tuning guide I wrote for Mathews that may help out!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=165209

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 06-21-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
We all have a comfort zone...back in the day everyone was 29" draw and 70 lbs...which lead to many bad habits...

My comfort zone with present bow is 66 lbs...with Mathews it was 64 lbs...
anything else and my shooting suffers...

My first suggestion would be to turn back down to 67 -68 lbs and see if it makes a difference...besides I will guarantee you the critter is not going to know the difference in that 5 FPS...that 5 FPS may be over bowing you on you comfort zone and just lead to bad habits...

Not sure what you mean by vertical pins ..the standard sight has vertical pins

Neil
Pins that come up vertically from the bottom of the sight, instead of stacked on top of each other horizontally, coming from the side. I am used to only looking through half of the sight, as the horizontal pins block the view on the other side. With my old sight, I would line the sight pins up with the left side of the string, which worked great. I am going to back the bow off a full turn for my next practice session. I was getting 278fps at 68lbs, and only gained another 10fps by moving it up to 73lbs. I would rather the accuracy, than the extra little bit of speed! I'll see how that turns out in terms of accuracy. If that doesn't help, I might go back to my old sight. Or after 10 years of shooting quite well without one, I might just have to cave in and try a peep sight.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Yup got it ...like the Trophy ridge...technically I guess its how you look at it lol...pins are still vertical ...but understand what you mean..

I looked at them years ago...shooters said it gave them more full vision of target...or animal...I said I pick a spot and aim at X so really don't need or want to see rest of target if I am going to shoot so see no real advantage...

like you I only use a loop and kisser...no peep...my right eye views pins to right of string...I do not see string or cables and have plenty view of my target..
I tri anchor ...kisser... string on face and release hand tucked on jaw under ear

I tried a peep for several years when they were a new novelty...found personally more hinders than good points ...never looked back or thru a peep since...lol

even without a peep if you bow/sight is level and you have a solid anchors you should be on the X...
Neil
Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Yup got it ...like the Trophy ridge...technically I guess its how you look at it lol...pins are still vertical ...but understand what you mean..

I looked at them years ago...shooters said it gave them more full vision of target...or animal...I said I pick a spot and aim at X so really don't need or want to see rest of target if I am going to shoot so see no real advantage...

like you I only use a loop and kisser...no peep...my right eye views pins to right of string...I do not see string or cables and have plenty view of my target..
I tri anchor ...kisser... string on face and release hand tucked on jaw under ear

I tried a peep for several years when they were a new novelty...found personally more hinders than good points ...never looked back or thru a peep since...lol

even without a peep if you bow/sight is level and you have a solid anchors you should be on the X...
Neil
I would say that it's probably more to do with holding too much weight then? Unless it's the new string? I had been shooting my bow with the old string since new (5 years). The last time I was out before the new string, I shot way better groupings, and my bow was out of timing as well. I'm saying that turning it back one turn for weight, will probably get me back on track. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:19 PM

Have shot bow now for 25 yrs. Not 1 Robin Hood. Rh shooter but left shoulder is pooched now. Friend brought over his Lh bow for me to try, same dl. Second set of 3 shots, guess what?
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Have shot bow now for 25 yrs. Not 1 Robin Hood. Rh shooter but left shoulder is pooched now. Friend brought over his Lh bow for me to try, same dl. Second set of 3 shots, guess what?
Welcome to da Hood?...lol ..might be suggesting something...!

Neil
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
6th shot with new string and rest.
Sorry for the miss-track!!!...nice shooting bow sounds like its it tune...

Neil
Old 06-22-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I would say that it's probably more to do with holding too much weight then? Unless it's the new string? I had been shooting my bow with the old string since new (5 years). The last time I was out before the new string, I shot way better groupings, and my bow was out of timing as well. I'm saying that turning it back one turn for weight, will probably get me back on track. Thanks for your input!
Yes..try one turn each limb...shoot three- six arrows, turn down one more turn...which will be close to old weight...compare feel and accuracy...if nothing really changes you will have to adapt to or change new sight...

Neil