Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 PM

Default Bow Poundage

What method do you guys use to up your bow poundage?? Or are you such strong men(woman) that you can start out at 70LB?? I am 14yr and only pulling 35 or so LB's. I have done more like 50LB when I was shooting my bow more. So my question is--Do I just keep cranking the poundage up every week and hopefully my accuracy stays or forget about my accuracy until I have a good poundage set??

Thanks Anthony
Old 06-08-2016, 12:15 AM

Work your way up.and once you're there keep shooting so you maintain your strength.

Accuracy trumps all when you are training to hunt.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

You work your way up slowly, shoot for a few weeks at a set poundage, don't rush it, your young and trust me you will get stronger with time.
Don't get frustrated, don't jeopardize form,maintain your accuracy and stay well within your yardage comfort zone.

Know and understand your equipment, if it work don't change it.

Great bow hunters can get themselves in close to thier prey...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Awesome advise above...

Keep in mind that 40lb is legal poundage for hunting, as long as you can pull and shoot 40 lb efficiently your good to go ...until you can pull more weight...
Worst thing I see is shooters over bowed...they teach themselves bad form and it effects accuracy...and when it gets cold they may find they cant draw bow!

40 Lb will take down bear, moose ,elk and deer with well placed arrow as quickly as a 70 lb bow

Neil
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 PM

It's better to shoot less weight than more , archery is not a strength game it is about accuracy. 35# is plenty at 14 .

You will damage your body by shooting too heavy a weight , the muscles can adapt to a point but not the attachment points on the bones where the ligaments attach , that is pre-determined by your genetics . How do i know this ? because i have permanent damage to my shoulder by shooting too heavy draw weight. I got caught up in the stupid strength game and lost sight of shooting an arrow accurately .

In the pre-compound days the most popular bow weights for adult men was 40-42 lbs and that will drop any deer that ever lived and moose and elk as well out to 20 yards

Remember that if you want to be shooting a bow all your life you will not shoot a heavy bow .
Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 PM

So kind of what you guys are saying is just take the shooting easy, get to minimum poundage and kill all the animals I can

Thanks Anthony
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 PM

Have fun shooting a bow accurately and enjoy getting outside , if you get an animal that is a bonus , you will remember the big one you missed as much as the one you got .
Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 PM

Kind of off the topic but just tonight I saw a muley that had antlers past his ears. Really hoping I can find him come Sept.

Anthony
Old 06-15-2016, 06:36 AM

Between now and Sept 1 there is 10 weeks to prepare. If you are shooting 35 lbs accurately right now, then give yourself a reasonable goal to be at 45 lbs by August 15th. That is an increase of 2-3 pounds every 2 weeks and will give you 2 weeks of solid practice at 45 lbs (hunting weight). Bow hunting is all about knowing your personal limits. Example, maybe due to personal experience and your equipment limits, a 30-35 yard max hunting distance may be considered for this year.

Only you will know if you are ready to hunt deer come Sept 1.

Good Luck