Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 PM
packhuntr

Default Do it yourself hunt.

I was reading the last Big Game Adventures, and there was an article about some amaricans that did a d-i-y hunt in Alaska, as non residents. They went up i think the dempster hiway, that follows the alaska pipeline. Bow zone strictly for 5 miles either side of the road. They dont need to be guided for blackbear, caribou, and moose. Looked to me like d-i-y hunting and fishin heaven. Do we have anything like that in the Yukon, or better worded, can residents of canada as non res hunters, go up and do some type of hunting, preferably mountain caribou and moose, without having to be guided? Thanks, packhuntr

keep a strain on er.

correction, its the Dalton, not the Dempster.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:26 PM
jrs

Yukon NWT and Nunavut require that non-residents utilize the services of a guide. I was dreaming there as some sort of loophole so i could go without the huge pricetag of a fancy lodge and anemities. I believe Quebec, and Ontario have some sort of non-resident system in place though. Worth looking at. Maybe someone else will shed some light on this with more experience on where to go for a do-it yourself hunt I've still been trying to find an outfitter with a simple camp (no running water, power etc) where some of those costs are cut out and its more of a true wilderness experience. I really want to do a fishing trip like that one of these years.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:38 PM
BrownBear416

Default Remote Fishing.

JRS.. you should check out Andrew lake lodge&Camps..

1200$ for a 7 day fly in fishing trip and you can make it as remote as you want.You have your choice of spike camp(wall tent),out post cabin or stay at one of there lodges.

Give Dan a call..
Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
jrs

Default Re: Remote Fishing.

BrownBear, thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out. My original idea was borrow a zodiac with motor and hire a plane or chopper to drop me off at some remote lake with streams/rivers in immediate vicinity. I'm thinking next summer or fall i am going to try and arrange something. I have some magazine articles somewhere where they discuss the drop off idea and what not. Thanks though, another idea to look at.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
BigBullAdventures

Default Re: Remote Fishing.

Hi JRS, we have used Dan at Andrew Lake Lodge for our Do It Yourself moose hunting/fishing camps for the past 5 years and will be doing it again this fall. He is able and willing to cater to your needs. Dan can make it happen! My hunting partner just wrote an article on D.I.Y. hunts, that should appear on the Alberta Outdoorsmen website soon.

BigBull
Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Duk Dog

Default Re: Hunting

What sort of ball park costs did you run for your moose hunt with Andrew Lake Lodge? What sort of success did you have? Any pics to post? Never done a fly in hunt but I bet would be great.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
BrownBear416

Default Moose Hunts..

Alberta Resident fly in drop Camps are 1800 to 2000 bucks for 7 days.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

Default Re: Moose Hunts..

The Dempster Highway does not go to Alaska..... FYI.

If you have friends up there who hunt, perhaps you can have them get a special guide's license (its only about $20 or so) then all you would have to pay are the trophy fees if you get lucky.

I would not really suggest going on the Dempster Highway in the Yukon/NWT for caribou unless you go later in the year with snow machines and be willing to go out a ways. I find the human road hunters to be dangerous and give me a sick taste in my mouth.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Duk Dog

Any photos and success stories from people that have done a drop off hunt with Andrew Lake Lodge?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
packhuntr

Default Re: D.I.Y. Hunts.

Am looking at booking a goat in B.C. But very interested in a d.i.y close to home for some of the animals we just cant persue here at home. Anyone have any knowledge of B.C. and their system, regarding this subject.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 AM
jrs

Do you have any friends or family in BC? I believe there is a way in that case, tags are pretty pricey though. Otherwise you need to hire an outfitter and theres no real deal even if you're another Canadian citizen, bc is a piece of crap that way (Would i still be bitter about the $25 a day fishing fee???). Sorry if i hijacked your post a bit above, i was hoping for some answer i haven't seen in my journeys but it appears to be pretty tough. It appears as though Manitoba offers chances for non-residents, i checked last night a bit. Tags are reasonable and thats one-province where i actually know some landowners/family. System not for caribou and they have no mountain goats so that probably won't help you. I am really looking at some of those canoe trips in northern Alberta/ Southern NWT for fishing i came accross last night. This snow really has to stop so i can just go work outside and keep myself from dreaming up stuff :lol
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM
HUNTNUT

My brother shot a goat in BC last year-he went with a buddy that is a BC resident. I don't recall all of the particulars but I know he had to put in for a draw. I'll quiz him about it when I see him this weekend and try to get more details.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM
BrownBear416

Duk Dog...if you go to the Andrew website,click on hunting,then alberta and then on moose.Scroll down to the bottom of the page and check out the last group of pics.The top pic in the right hand corner,me and my bro are the two middle dudes holding the racks.I am in the green pants.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:08 PM
packhuntr

I dont have any relatives or know anyone who lives in these areas. Sounds like you fellas are sayin, im S.O.L. Thats not much fun. When B.C. residents can come here to hunt, and Alberta and Sask can go back and forth on some species, that kinda sucks. Im just not much for paying an outfitter to do what I can do myself, with my own equipment, legally, and ethically. But i will say, there really isnt the funds to pay these crazy prices these hunts are going for, kickin around in the average household. And mine is one of them. Now im just whining. But it does suck, theres afew things we have very close to home as Canadian residents, but only afew can enjoy. I think there might be too much emphasis put on value creation, with regards to our hunting and fishing opportunities. But I guess everyone likes their money. I will definatly be checking into getting my hands on a set of both Yukon, and B.C. regs. There has to be something.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Duk Dog

The last I looked into it the rules in BC are somewhat similar to here - you either need a guide or a host.
Bear in mind people from outside of Alberta can't hunt big game here without either a guide or a hunter host.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
DUKE

Yes in BC you need to be hosted by a Resident (or use a guide) and you must hunt with this person literally-- be with them within a stones throw. for the cost of fuel, tags, you will not save alot .. if you can fly into northern Alberta for under $1500.00 do it..