Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM

Default Solo Sheep Hunt?

Not planning to do one myself this year, but how many of you guys are comfortable with doing multi-day backpack sheep hunts solo?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Very comfortable, quite enjoyable actually.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

Do it lots. Have done both backpack and horse hunts solo.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM

I prefer hunting by myself for the most part on any species for trophy animals but especially for sheep. I have had too many experiences hunting with guys that are too lazy, want to eat a lunch at noon no matter what, are not organized, have a minor ache and want to go home early..........

When I sheep hunt I go at my pace.. which is fast, I know what I need to take and don't need to prep 2 weeks before if going with someone. I get first shot at whatever I want. The only downside is it is dangerous and it costs more.

That being said I have had a blast as well with a few guys that I hunt with and wouldn't hesitate to sheep hunt with them again.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 PM

I would feel comfortable going on a sheep hunt by my lonesome, Sir.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM

I've only ever done the solo gig. I would go with others but my good group of hunting buddies aren't interested in sheep so I do it as my own thing. I rather enjoy it although if you can find a mentor I'm sure it would help a lot as there is lots to learn (I consider myself still a newbie and I've been after these critters several years now).
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM

I would love to do it but to be honest, it scares the **** out of me! LOL In case things go south, u r on ur own... That wouldnt be fun... But i love to be by myself and specially in a mountain!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 PM

its the best way to hunt .. no body to rely on but yourself .. altho its always nice to have a buddy with you to pack out your game when the time comes ..
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Done lots of it,you just need to be a bit more prepared. That and let someone know where you will be.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM

I do it all the time this is my preference for some of my hunts as it gives me time alone.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM

I like sheep hunting alone....
Till there something to pack out, then I wish someone was with me...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Only gone alone on horse back which gives some comfret when I sleep. After waking up to grizz tracks in ur camp I like that piece of mind.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Love sheep hunting alone but nothing beats hunting with a great hunting partner when your all on the same page.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM

right on guys, thanks for all the reply's, this might be something I try next year.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 PM

I mountain hunt lots on my own, done many multiple day trips for sheep, goat, griz, elk etc. I enjoy it very much but I also enjoy hunting with a good partner as well. Lots of time it is tough to find someone with who hunts like yourself and is able to get away at the same times or what have you. I love mountain hunting to much to let that stop me so I just go solo quite often.

I would caution anyone thats reading this and contemplating a solo mountain hunt for the first time to be well prepared with the right gear, don't take any risks, and know and work within your limitations.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM

how does your solo pack differ from your group pack... what extra are you bringing in with you solo. Do you guys pack bear spray/bangers? Do you guys see any point to packing a pulley with you. Also for a early season hunt do you worry about flies, do you pack in pepper or use hot pepper infused oil? Sorry about the 50 questions but would love to draw off your guys experience.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I mountain hunt lots on my own, done many multiple day trips for sheep, goat, griz, elk etc. I enjoy it very much but I also enjoy hunting with a good partner as well. Lots of time it is tough to find someone with who hunts like yourself and is able to get away at the same times or what have you. I love mountain hunting to much to let that stop me so I just go solo quite often.

I would caution anyone thats reading this and contemplating a solo mountain hunt for the first time to be well prepared with the right gear, don't take any risks, and know and work within your limitations.
X2
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
how does your solo pack differ from your group pack... what extra are you bringing in with you solo. Do you guys pack bear spray/bangers? Do you guys see any point to packing a pulley with you. Also for a early season hunt do you worry about flies, do you pack in pepper or use hot pepper infused oil? Sorry about the 50 questions but would love to draw off your guys experience.
With a partner you can split the spotting scope/tripod, shelter, stove/pot. Going solo you are stuck packing everything so your pack is a bit heavier. As for flies on the meat I assume? I just game bag it. Bluebottles will lay big patches of eggs but I just scrape them off. Once the meat gets crusted up its not so bad. I trim it well before packaging it. The pulley or anything else that you really don't need don't take. Stuff gets heavy when you have to pack it uphill.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

I almost always hunt solo.
So why not... its not like the mountains hold any special mystery for me... I grew up in em and was always comfortable with nobody but myself for company.
Besides... doing thinsg by yourself gives me a better semse of accopmplishment.
It sort of sucks to not share that moment but that is tempered by the fact that you don't have to either.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
There are some gear lists posted in some other threads on sheep hunting if you search it. Might help you out a bit.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
There are some gear lists posted in some other threads on sheep hunting if you search it. Might help you out a bit.
Thanks bdub, will do that.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

Here is some info on gear from my buddy's website. Might help. Check out the rest of the page. Very knowledgable sheep hunter from a long family of legendary sheep outfitters!

http://bchuntingblog.com/blog/2010/0...ted-2010-list/
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Here is some info on gear from my buddy's website. Might help. Check out the rest of the page. Very knowledgable sheep hunter from a long family of legendary sheep outfitters!

Thanks for posting that Darcy, I wish I had seen thislist before starting a new thread on pack weight. It looks like that list is a couple of years old, a 9lb pack and 5 lb tent sounds heavy.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Thanks for posting that Darcy, I wish I had seen thislist before starting a new thread on pack weight. It looks like that list is a couple of years old, a 9lb pack and 5 lb tent sounds heavy.
A few listed weights,

Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 = 9lbs 8oz.
Mystery Ranch Nice 7500 = 9lbs 11oz.

Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly = 9lbs 4oz.

Kifaru Timberline 1 = 5lbs 9oz.

Stone Glacier Terminus = 4.07lbs w/ load shelf

As for the tent it all depends what your packing. 3 and 4 season tents are heavier but very nice when hunting some areas. Ive slept under lean too's and just tarps lots and found staying in a good tent helped me get a far better rest which helped me carry my gear easier and also hunt harder and longer. To many days staying on windy hills with no cover and in monsoon rain storms. My days of "roughing" it with the bare minimum are gone and If a couple extra pounds for a tent is to much for me ill hit the gym and loose them off me.

Last edited by sheepguide; 07-24-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM

^^^^good point^^^^
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM

Good point SG on comfort versus motivation. When you're miserable it's hard to keep your head in the game, and the game is all about believing something will show up!

But on pack weights, I think there's a better way than over-heavy hunting specific packs.

My two main packs:

Arcteryx Nozone 55L - 3lbs 3oz - great for fast and light weekend trips

Osprey Argon 85 - 6lbs 7oz - a heavy duty load hauler - could lose a pound just by taking a pair of scissors to it.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Just wondering SG what pack your using on 7-10 day hunts? I like my eberstock but last year after laming up two horses and packing most out on my back I'm looking at a new one and could use some input.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post

Thanks for the link just spent 2 hours looking and reading
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Just wondering SG what pack your using on 7-10 day hunts? I like my eberstock but last year after laming up two horses and packing most out on my back I'm looking at a new one and could use some input.
I use my Eberlestock J-107 for everything. I've done trips up to 14days(stone sheep/ mountain goat in NE BC)with this pack carrying 75lbs in on that trip. Pack worked perfect. Main reason I run this pack is because of the rifle scabbard. Wouldn't trade that option for a few pound lighter pack. I can carry my gun hands free and still have fast access to it.

It's not easy to pack to be comfortable as the pack isn't tall like many but extends towards the back some once the spike duffle is attached. If you pack with all your heaviest gear center pack and against the back it's fine. Extending weights up, down and back from that point! Packing any pack this way is best anyways but especially important with this pack.