Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Sitka storm front jacket pants and jetsream jacket. Feather friends raven ul sleeping bag. Hilliberg nallo gt 3 tent. Traded in Lecia 12x50 for 8x42 swaros. Have to get a few new pack saddles but pretty much done revamping the gear. Never mind. I'll never be done my gear list.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Your part of the problem with this forum
Yup
Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've haven't been snowed on yet with this, tried it in the rain,
The area I hunt I can alway drop into the timber, n find a big tree

If it was coming down like that depop, I wouldn't hold up, just walk out
But I'm sure my area is a little easier then yours.
I've never been stuck on a mtn, just take your time and keep going
Not always able to just walk out. Night storms, whiteout conditions. Your way will work but you best be ready for some long uncomfortable hrs on the hill if your bit dripping into the timber each evening. Get hit at midnight with an early season snowstorm while up high and you best not be trying to walk out!! Could be a light drizzle at dark and end up snowing and socking in for a couple days making it impossible to get out or to the timber.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Got lots of gear to try out this fall. So far the Stone Glacier Terminus pack is the only thing to hit the mountains, everything else will soon follow.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Not always able to just walk out. Night storms, whiteout conditions. Your way will work but you best be ready for some long uncomfortable hrs on the hill if your bit dripping into the timber each evening. Get hit at midnight with an early season snowstorm while up high and you best not be trying to walk out!! Could be a light drizzle at dark and end up snowing and socking in for a couple days making it impossible to get out or to the timber.
I know what im getting into, and Ive seen 4 seasons in one day in the mountains
last year I woke up to 4" of snow 2 days before opening
I would not recommend this set up to anyone, Im just a little extreme
and yes it could very well bite me in the @$$, but
"I got this"
Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 AM

Well I just ordered up a:
Kifaru frame and DT1 bag
Huba Huba 2man bivey
Got some Kuiu gators last winter
gonna finally get a Havalon knife at some point this year
And finaly going to try my hardest to muster up all the ambition in the world to be in shape to finish my slam and go RM bighorn hunting with my son on his first year out! Oh lord i am out of shape.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know what im getting into, and Ive seen 4 seasons in one day in the mountains
last year I woke up to 4" of snow 2 days before opening
I would not recommend this set up to anyone, Im just a little extreme
and yes it could very well bite me in the @$$, but
"I got this"
Wait till its 2' of snow that's when the fun starts. LoL or she drops to -20c! That's when she gets extreme!!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I bought a new sweat band (head & wrist), new jean jacket (black), new rubber boots, a sweet lee enfield (.303), I got a free fanny pack in a box of kohler lagers, I also stocked up on peanuts, ketchup packets and dehydrated hot dogs.....oh i bought a mini toothbrush too (light weight).

My cousin Terry's GF offered to pack me in. She is built like a T-Rex.....All she wants in exchange is a carton of Canadian Classics. She isnt that reliable though (dialysis).

Lastly, with the new pack dog rules, i went to the pound an picked up 7 really strong looking mutts....the plan is hook them to a wagon and mush those ********s deep into the "more" (willmore). Happy hunting everyone. Im taking the rest of the summer off to scout/set up base camp/spike camps.

Why take the time to post if you have nothing to add to the discussion? What are you 16 with nothing better to do but Cruz forums trying to appear witty?

The OP posted a good question. I also liked to know what other sheep hunters are using this season. It's a good way to learn off each other on what works and what doesn't in the field. But based on your recent posts you spend more time behind a keyboard than in the backcountry.

Their are clearly a lot of good backcountry hunters on This site who rarely post because of people like you.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
Why take the time to post if you have nothing to add to the discussion? What are you 16 with nothing better to do but Cruz forums trying to appear witty?

The OP posted a good question. I also liked to know what other sheep hunters are using this season. It's a good way to learn off each other on what works and what doesn't in the field. But based on your recent posts you spend more time behind a keyboard than in the backcountry.

Their are clearly a lot of good backcountry hunters on This site who rarely post because of people like you.
It's satire buddy...I hope you have a successful sheep season. I'll empty a "chup" ( ketchup) pack at km 200 of my rubber boot trail in your honour
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM

Thanks to some (ok, alot of) help from BPH I've gotten quite a bit of shiny new lighweight mountain hunting specific gear this year. But the only thing I'll be using that's new to the market is the eberlestock V90 battleship backpack.

http://www.eberlestock.com/V69%20Des...Battleship.htm

Wanted a mystery ranch pack but I needed to save a few bucks after buying a new tent, sleeping bag, boots etc. And the V90 runs about $300-350 less than the MR nice 6500.

Here's a clip. It's seems a bit biased and sounds like it came from an eberlestock dealer but it's still a good comparison between MR, kifaru and eberlestock..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azWV5QxcdU

It's worked pretty good so far, full of duct taped bags of sugar and a few 5 lb plates, but September will be the real test. I'll let you all know.

Last edited by Blake; 06-23-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Got lots of gear to try out this fall. So far the Stone Glacier Terminus pack is the only thing to hit the mountains, everything else will soon follow.
What do you think of the stone glacier pack? I've been thinking of getting one.

New for me:
1. Gun: Tikka T3 lite 270wsm with Minox 3-15X42 xr-bdc
2. Binos: Nikon Monarch 5 (2013) in 12X42
3. KUIU superdown jacket
4. Stove: Soto Micro Regulator
5. Pot: GSI glacier stainless

Still in the market for a backpack (probably the KUIU 7200) and bino case (probably the KUIU), and maybe even a new thermarest (neoair xtherm).
Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneer View Post
What do you think of the stone glacier pack? I've been thinking of getting one.

New for me:
1. Gun: Tikka T3 lite 270wsm with Minox 3-15X42 xr-bdc
2. Binos: Nikon Monarch 5 (2013) in 12X42
3. KUIU superdown jacket
4. Stove: Soto Micro Regulator
5. Pot: GSI glacier stainless

Still in the market for a backpack (probably the KUIU 7200) and bino case (probably the KUIU), and maybe even a new thermarest (neoair xtherm).
So far so good. Haven't thrown a lot of weight in it yet (just 50-55 pounds) but definitely like it so far. If you ever want to take a closer look at it, let me know. I'm in Edmonton but do A LOT of travelling for work and its usually in the truck.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Well, as this is my first season to go sheep hunting. Everything is new to me, however, I guess the only piece of gear that was released recently was I got the Vortex Razor 65mm spotting scope. Had it out the other day and spotted several sheep. When compared to the Vortex Nomad that the other guy I was scouting with was using, the contrast was better, and the optics were phenomenal. Only disadvantage that I saw was that it only went to 48X zoom as opposed to the 60X zoom of the nomad.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Sorry to hi-jack a bit but, what are you guys using for a sleeping bag this year?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
Sorry to hi-jack a bit but, what are you guys using for a sleeping bag this year?
Thats no hijack I have a couple mummy bags, ones an old north face down bag (20 years old or so), the other is new last year mec thor windstopper, also down. I prefer down, it lasts forever and doesn't pack out on you and loose it's insulating factor like synthetic fill. It's also compacts better saving space and is warmer by weight. The only downfall is it doesn't insulate when wet. I use a good stuff/compression bag, lay the bag out in the tent whenever possible to dry, and am careful to keep it dry. Never had an issue with using a down bag. Lots of good brands out there to choose from as well.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
I just got my Eberlestock Reveille bag in the mail the other day. Will report back on it in a few months.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM

Sleeping bag I use a feather friends raven ul. It new but used it a few times coldest 0c at night but so far very happy with it.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantd View Post
Kifaru mega tarp and small stove for solo trips (loved the Tipi in November last year)
Jandd Goliath pack
Enlightened Equipment Revelation down quilt
Borah gear bivy
How do you like the Revelation quilt? Did you look at the MEC Merlin or WM Beothuk/highlight bags as well? Been considering making the purchase - would get my whole early season sleep system down to approx. 2.5 lbs.

As for BPH - he obviously knows the limits of his system. It's not for everyone, but any backcountry kit is a series of trade offs. Not for everyone, but works for some.

No new kit for me apart from a cheap/light tripod that replaces my very solid 5lb manfrotto. Almost need a "gear list with final weight" thread.

Good luck everyone!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
No new kit for me apart from a cheap/light tripod that replaces my very solid 5lb manfrotto. Almost need a "gear list with final weight" thread.
Good luck everyone!

A gear list with weight of each item your taking would be ideal. I see that's what the eastmans do. Makes sence if you got the time to do it, can put together your pack on paper and see what the final weight will be.

This year I opted for a real light tripod as well after I saw one solution for stabalizing it where the guy tied his pack to the bottom of the tripod
Old 07-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
A gear list with weight of each item your taking would be ideal. I see that's what the eastmans do. Makes sence if you got the time to do it, can put together your pack on paper and see what the final weight will be.

This year I opted for a real light tripod as well after I saw one solution for stabalizing it where the guy tied his pack to the bottom of the tripod
You can always just pack a small lightweight bag. When you set up your tripod fill the bag with rocks and tie it to your tripod, it weighs down the tripod and makes it super solid. Just type "tripod rock bag" into google images and you can see what im talking about. When you're done, empty the bag and go on your way.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

My Kifaru Bikini frame and dt bag finally got here. It tips the scale at just under 5 lbs, has load lifters that actually work and a waist belt that cinches up tight easily and allows you to take almost all the weight on your hips. I've just had it out a few times with 50lbs in it and so far so good. It is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever put on.

Last edited by mad mountain mike; 07-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
How do you like the Revelation quilt? Did you look at the MEC Merlin or WM Beothuk/highlight bags as well? Been considering making the purchase - would get my whole early season sleep system down to approx. 2.5 lbs.

As for BPH - he obviously knows the limits of his system. It's not for everyone, but any backcountry kit is a series of trade offs. Not for everyone, but works for some.

Good luck everyone!
Love the revelation quilt. Comfortable and easy to regulate heat. Haven't been out in the cold but it is a luxurious 2lbs. It's so nice to be able to roll over without falling off your mattress or burying your face in your hood.

I looked at all of the mec bags and have a Thor windstopper for November hunts. I'm 6'2" and I find mec bags aren't cut all that roomy at the shoulders. Makes me claustrophobic.

If you buy a mec bag make sure you review it on their website and tell them how effective it is for sheep hunting. I think they'd love to know how much of their gear is used by hunters.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Default Gear

The other weekend I got a chance to test my icon 7200 pack. My wife and I went about 25-30km into the willmore with around 45 lbs in my pack. The bag worked awesome! The padding they use in the shoulder straps and hip belt sides is really comfortable. The bag is really versatile and all the compression straps on it are very handy. All the straps have little plastic loops on them which you can tuck the tails into, which keeps everything tucked away nice. With all the pockets the pack keeps everything really well organized. The zipper pulls are finger loop type, but are made out of a thin rubber material which I thought would break very soon. But after using them, they are alot stronger then I thought.
Also tried out the kuiu gaitors and they worked great. Made out of a new material, they're supposed to be as waterproof as gore tex, but twice as breathable. My feet always are super hot and these gaitors breathed surprisingly well, and crossing several streams that were deeper then my boot tops my feet never got wet. I think ill be buying their jacket that's made from the same material.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
The other weekend I got a chance to test my icon 7200 pack. My wife and I went about 25-30km into the willmore with around 45 lbs in my pack. The bag worked awesome! The padding they use in the shoulder straps and hip belt sides is really comfortable. The bag is really versatile and all the compression straps on it are very handy. All the straps have little plastic loops on them which you can tuck the tails into, which keeps everything tucked away nice. With all the pockets the pack keeps everything really well organized. The zipper pulls are finger loop type, but are made out of a thin rubber material which I thought would break very soon. But after using them, they are alot stronger then I thought.
Also tried out the kuiu gaitors and they worked great. Made out of a new material, they're supposed to be as waterproof as gore tex, but twice as breathable. My feet always are super hot and these gaitors breathed surprisingly well, and crossing several streams that were deeper then my boot tops my feet never got wet. I think ill be buying their jacket that's made from the same material.
The jacket is awesome
Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Good to hear i got the same pack and gaitors as well. Was hoping they would breathe as advertized.