Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM

wolves are just as afraid of me as you are....... 20 years ago i was working for mcgregers doing the powerline on the chinchaga road. when everyone was out working they would be in the bush a ways watching, when coffee or lunch breaks came, work stopped and everyone jumped in a crew truck..... as soon as this happenned, the wolves would come out and sit 20 or 30 yards away from the trucks. never failed.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'm not as confident in them, as you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xm9dndA1-0

Grizz
wow... what a quality individual...
Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Strange part is in that highly populated, industrial area, they want them back. Penalty for shooting one is right up there, in the ten thousand plus Euro zone. Recent case in Germany, where a hunter dispatched one, injured in a road collision. Animal was about toast, but the court found him guilty, saying he should have taken it to a veterinarian.
Here's the article about the hunter shooting a wolf in Germany.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20120425-42151.html

The Germans and Europeans in general have no concept of how dangerous wildlife can be. I now live and work in Germany and I can tell you that over here most people believe in the HOLY WOLF. The possibility that one is not at the top of the food chain never enters into their consciousness.

On the other hand the only bear in Germany was shot because it raided a farmer's bee hive.

Cheers,
EH

p.s. I've got to get back to Alberta for some real hunting this fall.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
thats gotta make a man nervous alrighty .....i had always heard/understood that wolves will leave a man alone.... perhaps thats just wives tales
glad your chum is ok and lived to tell the story
wrong.they do.just the bears steal their kills and get blamed for it all.They do hunt people and if you see one broadside. start looking behind you ,get ready.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM

I remember a few years ago me and my cousin where doing an archery moose hunt in 503 wandering river area and a pack of wolves where trying to push us where they wanted us , but we also had cow moose urine sprayed on us.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM

More wolf numbers in most areas that equals more encounters.

As the wolves get used to humans their fear will diminish....unless we shoot them at every opportunity.

I would like the season to be year round. I see/hear them often in the summer.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM

"Wild wolves are naturally aggressive but are generally cautious enough to occasionally appear timid around humans. Wolves usually try to avoid contact with people, to the point of even abandoning their kills when an approaching human is detected, but there are several reported circumstances in which wolves have been recorded to act aggressively toward humans.

Compared to other carnivorous mammals known to attack humans in general, the frequency with which wolves have been recorded to kill or prey on people is much lower, indicating that though potentially dangerous, wolves are among the least threatening for their size and predatory potential.[1]
"

Source http://www.aws.vcn.com/wolf_attacks_on_humans.html

Wolf Attacks appear to be much more common in India / other areas of Asia, interesting
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM

This is all kinda weird for me... I have ran into wolves quite often for the last two years. Once every year, i ran into their kill (it wasnt very fresh but enough to creep the **** out of me) lol... Once, i was tracking a deer. While waiting for my buddies, almost dark, i heard a sound behind me there was a wolf running around me. When he noticed that i saw hime, he took off. I loaded my gun and try to see if there were more but nope... They were just gone...

So, i think it all depends on the circumstances? There is so much food for them that i dont think they will risk it going after humans but who knows... Maybe if they think is an easy prey like a kid or something like that?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM

A guy at work was working on a wellhead when he heard growling behind him. He looked back and saw a wolf 20yrds away. He grabbed his plunger picker as a beating stick and made his way to the shack. He looked in the bushes and saw 4 more standing there. He had to wait in the shack for half an hour before he could get out. He called into the office during this and the guys said they could hear the wolves growling and howling in the background and they were laughing their azzes off while this guy is scared chitless. We call him lil red riding hood now

And my other buddy at Rainbow Lake had a pack come in on him when he was on a battery and he climbed onto the tank and waited 3 hours before they got far enough away to make a dash for his truck on the other side of the lease.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Gone Hunting

I was born and raised in Wolf country. In my memory there was one Wolf attack on a human in the district, and that was a clear case of mistaken identity.

However, I would not dismiss a claim of a Wolf attacking a human without knowing a lot more about it then a second hand story.

I know this. For a lot of years wolves were shot on sight by many people.
They were trapped and poisoned and killed by various other means. Run over on the highways for instance.
In short, many Wolves had good reason to be afraid of humans.

I also know that Wolves are incredibly smart and fast learners. And we all know that they are cunning and aggressive hunters.

Given that, I have no doubt that a wolf that has lost it's fear of humans, might well start to think about humans as possible prey.

For a good number of recent years, many people stopped hunting, got rid of their guns or left them at home or in hiding.

I have seen wolf numbers sky rocket over the last couple of decades.

It isn't a stretch to think that some of those Wolves may have lost their fear of humans and are now looking at us as possible prey.

So although I have not read about or heard about any Wolf attacks on humans, I certainly would say it wouldn't happen.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twytter View Post
yea and i got attack by a wolf pack last year,and then again there is some idiots out their saying that wolf doesnt attack people
Hmmm you say you got attacked by a wolf pack, was that actually attacked, wolf attacks are rare but almost always fatal if its a pack. More details would be good. Wolves can be curious animals, if a pack approached me I would climb to safety as well, not sure I would call it an attack though.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Apack killed a student a few years ago in points north sask ;
That incident had some extenuating circumstances, they had been feeding most of the year at the dump and had completely lost there fear of humans.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twytter View Post
they only thing that saved my life from these wolf was my 300win mag,i dont know if they knew i was a human,cause i was hunting elk and was all camo up and had some elk urine all over my clothes to take away the human smell,but they came after me
I love this comment, the part about the elk urine is classic, the guy is walking around the bush covered in elk ****, do you think that might attract the attention of wolves, wolves that feed on elk. Is it possible they were tracking you because you smelled like a cow elk...hmmm hate to be the one to burst your bubble but you were not attacked by wolves, they were just wondering what the hell you were doing. This is where the problem comes from people running around telling people they were attacked by wolves, but when the details come out, it is some guy wondering around covered in elk **** wondering why wolves are following him. Wow. Hey pal if you tie a pork chop around your neck and walk into a dog pound you are going to notice they all follow you around too....sheesh.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Guys, think about what your saying and reading, these stories all have a something in common. I can walk onto any battery or well sight in Alberta and what do I find......garbage, the remains of some guys breakfast or lunch ....a food source for wolves in the area. They soon associate humans with food, these are not wolf attacks, these are wolves that associate people with food. Come on I can't be the only one to connect the dots here. They hear the guy pull up, it like the dinner bell going off, and they come running. These are just like the poster said incidents, don't confuse them with attacks....
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 PM

Called them in 4 times(3howling /one Elk distress call) last year and shot one of 5 / and counted a Coup on one.. the other 2 times were in Provincial areas

here is a watch to get your neck hair up

enjoy

David
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfb0-U0ydj8
Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
Just received a report about a incident that happened to a buddy a few days ago.
He is a operator and was checking one of his wells when a pack approached him and he had to climb the jack and remain there for over a hour till they moved off far enough for him to climb down and bolt for his truck.
Elk river road/sabre road area
good luck!
Hey BANG, is this the same elk river road near brazeau? (Only one I can think)

If so where is sabre road? I hunt near elk river and wolf lake, hoping I don't bump into wolves in the future however next time I'm out there I might have some on the trail cam! There was a couple huge wolf prints in the mud when I put up the cam!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Yep same area sabre is past the peco a ways used to be marked .i have not been out there for awhile.
Seen many wolfs in that area over the years.
One year i had a bear camp set up.i was in my tarp enclosed solar shower when a buddy stopped by and he seen a wolf from my camp ,he grabbed my rifle and dropped it while i continued to shower.lol
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
I finally got photobucket to down load for me.

I put the presto pin thru a hole in the tooth to keep the cover on and stop the point from sinking to far in soft ground.
I use the blade in summer and the tooth in winter, its better than an axe for cutting holes for ice fishing.
This is what you take for a walk in the forest?

Good grief...
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM

We have a helicopter run at work and te operators always see packs running around on the ground.

They also spot elk for the hunters on the ground and point them in the right direction haha.