Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 10:36 PM

Default buying new vs 2nd hand bow

hi

I'm interested in bow hunting and looking to get my first bow

there's a pretty good deal I could get for my first bow but it's a 2nd hand bow

I'm just wondering if it would be better to buy new vs 2nd hand... don't each bow have to be setup (draw weights) for a particular person/strength? can that be easily changed?

ty for any information, I'm hoping my interest will grow in this sport
Old 06-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Banned

Go to a pro shop and have them walk you through it. Don't go to Cabelas or Wholesale, go to an actual pro shop. All your questions will be answered.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Typically if a bow is more than 5 years old and used, it's barely worth 50% of new even if it's all setup.

Some used bows have been abused or dry fired...being new you would not necessarily know how to tell.

Personally I would go to a proshop and try a bunch out, learn what your draw and pulling weight capabilities are.

A used bow for a good deal COULD end up costing you more in the long run.

LC
Old 06-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Best thing for you to do, would be to get into a bow shop and figure out your draw length, and see what kind of weight you can handle. If you're going to be shooting a compound bow, with 75%-85% let off, you will only be holding a fraction of the draw weight at full draw. Most people I know are shooting 60-70lbs draw weights. Some people prefer a lighter bow, so you can always try 50-60lbs as well. Also, a lot of bows have adjustable draw lengths. So even if the bow is not set to your draw length at time of purchase, you could have it set up at a bow shop quite quickly.

As for buying a second hand bow, if you know what you're looking for in terms of worn out strings or cracks and what not in the limbs. You should be fine. There's a lot of good deals out there. And for a fraction of the cost of a new bow, you could be shooting a top of the line bow, it just might not be the most current model! Lots of good bows on the buy and sell right now, many that seem to have been used very little. Good luck in your endeavour, hope this helped a bit.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Nothing wrong with a used bow...bought from someone reliable and knows bows but as stated above beware..

A huge factor is lifetime Warranty...worth its weight in gold for the extra cost, sometimes only a couple hundred difference...

Neil
Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM

For a first bow, go to a pro shop and have someone teach you proper form and what to look for. Shoot a bunch of different bows and let the bow pick you. Most guys upgrade every 3-5 years, so it is a good investment.

Once you have that experience, you will know what you are looking for in a used bow next time around, if that's the road you decide to go down. There are some very good deals out there, but you have to know what you are looking for.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 AM

everyone has there opinion on where to go what to buy ... the best is to find a friend that has done it a long time or talk to someone that will help you out(that has dealt with it for a long time) and point you in the right direction .... depending on where your at most people on here are knowledgeable and would help out .... if buying used have someone help you, meet the guy at a proshop and ask them if they will go over it for you... new ask a lot of question, pro shop or wholesale or cabela's.... if you decide to buy it at a box store and they don't seem to know what there doing buy it and take it to a pro shop... box stores are a hit and miss for guys that know what there doing but there are guys out there that do know what there doing at these places.... good luck and have fun
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
For a first bow, go to a pro shop and have someone teach you proper form and what to look for. Shoot a bunch of different bows and let the bow pick you. Most guys upgrade every 3-5 years, so it is a good investment.

Once you have that experience, you will know what you are looking for in a used bow next time around, if that's the road you decide to go down. There are some very good deals out there, but you have to know what you are looking for.
X2 best info
Old 06-12-2016, 02:32 PM

would you guys think a Mathews MR7 be to much of a bow for hunting? or fine? great?

ty for opinions
Old 06-13-2016, 02:22 AM

You really can't beat a pro shop, testing bows goes a long way. The problem I ran into was that every single bow I tried I loved more than the last. I wasn't experienced enough to know what I needed, just ended up with what I thought looked badass.

My current hunting setup I bought used. I had to replace strings quickly, the bow was highly out of spec.

The money I saved on the bow, even with the cost on new strings, a shop setup/tune - I still came out ahead.

Guys upgrade bows constantly. You find one you can trust and I think it's a good way to go. Potentially let's you get a good bow above your pay grade.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN3wguy View Post
would you guys think a Mathews MR7 be to much of a bow for hunting? or fine? great?

ty for opinions
I don't think you can go wrong. You'll get different opinions and advice depending on everyone's personal bias.

Check out bow reports, search the bow on the forums, and I bet you can get a better idea.

Also if it looks badass it will hold your interest longer. =)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN3wguy View Post

ty for opinions
it was a very popular hunting bow in the circles as it was fast and reasonably forgiving with /due to the bigger/longer ATA and brace height...
You could shoot 3D and hunt using the same set up with that bow...

Neil