Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Default Back Country Hike-in Backpacks

Hi everyone, who here hunts the back country by hiking in and what backpack do you use and or recommend? Please comment on strengths, weaknesses and recommended features.

My sons and I are looking to do a hike in hunt next year and I want to start getting our equipment together. We are going to hunt Elk in the mountains. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM

I bought a new kuiu icon 7000 and love it. light, tons of pockets, has a load sling to carry out deboned meat and camp in one trip, comfy, adjustable. the pocket design is great for my big spotter and tripod and a well thought out rifle holder. wouldn't trade it for another pack.
I upgraded to the kuiu from a badlands 4500. It was ok but too heavy, not near as comfy, too small. couldn't adjust to fit it right.
other packs I was highly interested in were the stone glaciers. they are a little lighter than the kuiu but don't have as many bells and whistles as far as storing gear. u basically get a main pocket for everything to go into. they do have the same style meat sling as the kuiu.

another good company is kifaru. they have quite a few packs and a couple frames to choose from. havn't put one on but they come highly recommended. tough as nails and they take your measurements to build to fit you. lots of bag configurations to fiit your needs. also have add on pouches to add to your bag if you need to make it a little bigger. the turn off for me was it was going to be over 800 bucks for the pack and a bit of a wait to get it.

if you don't want to spend the 600 plus dollars to get into a really good pack I would steer towards either a mec style backpack that isn't geared towards hunting but will get the job done. or go with the cabelas external frame pack. nothing fancy but gets the job done. have 2 buddies that are happy with them. I have lots of friends including myself that have more than a few bags that sit on the shelf collecting dust. eberlestock and badlands style packs that look pretty good in the store but don't seem to fit very nice and are just too heavy to begin with. unless you are a full time guide that needs a bomb proof bag or your built like a brick u know what it is silly to start out with a 9 or 10 pound bag. ounces turn into pounds and pounds turn into pain in a hurry when packing too much weight for days on end. why not drop the 3 pounds right off the start with a nice light bag that can still handle 150 pound load when coming out heavy and happy.

also when picking a pack size go bigger than you think. for packs like the kuiu that offer the 5000 and 7000 size the weight difference Is only a couple oz. comes In handy when you want to go for longer trips and also saves you from hanging crap from you bag . they also pack down very small to use as your day pack for hunting once in the bush and camp set up.

Last edited by bardfromedson; 07-25-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: not done
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM

1st choice:Mystery ranch Nice! High end, lifetime warranty, awesome pack
2nd choice: Ederlestock just one: mid range for price, nice gun carry system
3rd choice: elk trails ext frame - effective and cheap. This one is great for starting
Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 PM

i use Eberlestock...hands free and comfortable
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM

Default Mystery Ranch

I have a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500... LOVE IT! It's a bulletproof pack and super comfortable with weight in it. No pressure points and balances the weight really well.
-Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2143.jpg (46.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the responses and info everyone, you have given me some great ideas to look at,

Take care and have a great day,
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 AM

There are a few brands. Putting weight on them really helps you tell which might handle the load. Based on my own experience, and experience from hunting partners, some to consider include:
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Stone Glacier
Horn Hunter full curl
Make sure you get a pack that can handle the weight/amount of gear you want to take. Under 3000 cubic inches is a little dicy for packing out meat. I've done it, but definitely don't recommend it. Too small a pack makes for a terrible pack out. I would look at something that can accomodate around 5000 c.i. - handle some gear plus a 100 pound load of meat.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Mystery Ranch

Don't mess around, you'll end up getting one anyways... save yourself some time and $$$; buy a Mystery Ranch. I have the NICE 6500, fits awesome, great for packing tons of weight, AMAZING quality. I highly recommend it!