Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 PM

Default Has anyone ever hunted wmu 539

Was just wondering if anyone has ever hunted up there. My old man, wife and myself got drawn up there For bull moose. I'm preety pumped to go up and give it a go with the muzzle loader. If anyone has hunted up there feel free to post pics or share experiences. Thanks

On point
Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM

Oh boy good luck buy some beef and stay home save your self the time and wasted money going up there. Nothing but skeg up there
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM

That gets me more pumped. What do swamp donkeys like more then muskeg and water. Plus we have 4 Argos to help us out. But more then any thing it's a great holiday away from my cell phone for two weeks.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM

SOOOO.. I have now graduated to the status of "The old man" lol.. Ya I'm getting pumped about watching Jess tip over her first moose also..

Jim..

Last edited by elkhunter1234; 07-25-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Default 539

I've pretty much been hunting 536/539 and 534 for moose for the last 23 years. Yes there is a lot of wet country but if you have Argos then you've pretty much have one that battle. I suggest getting back in the bush a ways to set up a camp then just start scouting the lines. The rut up in that country generally goes around the last week of September and the first week of October.
There's a lot of country in 539 so finding a place to go shouldn't be a issue.
Size wise, like any zone there are big and small. If you get back where no one goes chances are you will find some 50"+ bulls.

Good luck,
Todd
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM

I was up there in January hunting and seen a lot of moose along the rail road tracks. For sure moose country.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Default Awesome

Rail road tracks? I may need to borrow the hi rail truck from work!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Depending on the state of the access trails etc. you may want to consider a trip up there prior to the season to do some prep and scouting.

One of the WMU's up there that was accessible for us ten or eleven years ago is a lot tougher to get into due to the cutlines growing over. I know if we go up there again, we would need to do some serious trail clearing just to be able to get in again.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Did you need to apply for the draw or could you have gotten an undersubscribed tag? I know it is not out yet, but historically. Did you look into it?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Hunted up there a few years ago, all I got was a pack a wolves come to my moose callin. Some nice country up in the hills though. Access is limited from the mackenzie highway with quads, but since u have argos the possibilitys are endless.never did see much moose sign though, could be different now.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 PM

539 is a full season draw, normally there are some left over tags but seems each year there are less undersubscribed tags. We normally get drawn every year.
539 is a huge unit and to say that you hunted "it" and say you hunted it and saw little moose sign simply means you hunted one small area!
There are hundreds of km's of roads that access thousands of km's of cutlines. Now I do agree that there is some wet county but there are also a lot of moose in 539. If you don't see much for sign, move to a different area.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Did you need to apply for the draw or could you have gotten an undersubscribed tag? I know it is not out yet, but historically. Did you look into it?
Hi Dave... We were all a 0 priority, Eric and his wife both drew there Wainwright bull tags last year and I had a tag for 539, but my dam job got in the way and i could not make The trip. If I remember correct there were no undersubscribed tags available last year so we just put in this year, we will be going in with 3 other guys that have hunted there for a few years now with great luck. One of the guys is a leases operator and can get us back into the bears paw road, and from the end we Argo in another 30 miles.
How's Tug been doing? we might just have to try and hook up with you guys on our way through your part of the world..
Take care and happy hunting man..

Jim..