Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Default Hungarian Partridge South Alberta

Hi Guys,

Just wondering to know if any body had seen good numbers of Huns around and if you have any idea if the nest was ruin from the rain last month.

Thansk
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM

LOL Ok, before a couple of you go off half cocked, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this innocent and reasonable first post.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL Ok, before a couple of you go off half cocked, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this innocent and reasonable first post.
^^ Weird.

As for Huns, it was shaping up to be a pretty good year before the rain. Honestly can not say what the situation is since.

As for pheasants, I saw a hen with 8 chicks a couple days before the rain/hail hit. Last week I saw her and another hen in the same area and they both had a good number of chicks (>6), so if that is any indication, it may be okay.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brown View Post
Hi Guys,

Just wondering to know if any body had seen good numbers of Huns around and if you have any idea if the nest was ruin from the rain last month.

Thansk
I am a little curious about the wet spring and upland birds as well.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
^^ Weird.

As for Huns, it was shaping up to be a pretty good year before the rain. Honestly can not say what the situation is since.

As for pheasants, I saw a hen with 8 chicks a couple days before the rain/hail hit. Last week I saw her and another hen in the same area and they both had a good number of chicks (>6), so if that is any indication, it may be okay.
Thats really good to know, I was pretty concerned with the large amount of rain in short time aswell as the white combine. Couple more weeks will really show how they handled the storms
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM

I got real wet around Calgary but did that same rain continue as you moved east?

would they try and re-nest?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Had the hairy beasts out for a walk this morning. Parker locked up about 150 yards out in a pasture along the canal. After a couple minutes, I put Kiva on a lead and got my wife to hold her, and hopped the fence. Parker broke as I got about 35 yards from him, and about 8 or 9 little huns passed right back over/around me as the two parents flew low and slow the other direction to distract the dog (it worked).

Nice to see some young ones around.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I got real wet around Calgary but did that same rain continue as you moved east?

would they try and re-nest?
I think it depends on how cold it gets during/after the rain. We have had quite a bit this year, but it has always stayed warm and then been dry and warm within a day or two.

If they lose their nest, then yes, many will re-nest; though second clutches have an overall fewer number of chicks, as well as a lower survival to adulthood rate.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I think it depends on how cold it gets during/after the rain. We have had quite a bit this year, but it has always stayed warm and then been dry and warm within a day or two.

If they lose their nest, then yes, many will re-nest; though second clutches have an overall fewer number of chicks, as well as a lower survival to adulthood rate.
Thanks a lot Pudelpointer for the update... I really hope that there will not be any other surprise with the weather this summer.

The number of birds need to recover from the last few bad years and hope that will happen this year.

Out of a curiosity, how big are the chicks now? I assume that they are not ready to fly yet...

Unfortunately I live Toronto and there is not huns here

Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot Pudelpointer for the update... I really hope that there will not be any other surprise with the weather this summer.

The number of birds need to recover from the last few bad years and hope that will happen this year.

Out of a curiosity, how big are the chicks now? I assume that they are not ready to fly yet...

Unfortunately I live Toronto and there is not huns here

Thanks again!
Most gallinaceous (chicken like) birds are able to fly within a few days of hatching. The Hun chicks I saw yesterday shot up like Huns do, all at once like a grenade going off, and flew 150 yards or so. They were just tiny, maybe 2 weeks old, about 1/2-2/3 the size of a starling.

I have seen pheasant, ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse and blue grouse chicks that could fly with varying degrees of strength, likely related to their age, but they could all fly. It is an adaptation to nesting on the ground.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Mr. Brown,

Are you hunting in AB this year (sounds like it), if so, what area?

The thing with Alberta is we have extremely diverse and scattered weather events - especially hail and snow. While the torrential rains that caused the flooding was most intense in the far west, there have been some areas that experienced both cooler temperatures and more sustained wet (neither is good for chick survival). Hail events can also significantly impact upland bird populations (if you are the same size as the hail stone that just hit you, it usually doesn't work out so well).

If you post where you are planning to hunt, maybe someone can give you a better idea of the bird numbers in that area.

The area I mentioned earlier is between Magrath and Raymond.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM

I will be hunting around Fort Macleod looks like.... or better, rent a motel room there and drive around all the directions...

My dad and my uncle (From Italy) will meet me in Calgary and then we will hunt for a week... just can't wait to let my dogs out on those fields!

I love south west Alberta at the point that everyday I try to convince my wife to move there unfortunately without success

I was lucky enough to run early spring one of my dog just south of Calgary and this is a bad quality video if you want to take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COi-39Nw00k
He is an English Setter (European Style).
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM

here's a clutch I saw Friday morning.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM

^^^

Nice find man. Thats got to be a second attempt at nesting. Those chicks will be small come upland opening day.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Seeing lots of chicks [huns and pheasants] when I'm cutting hay , try to miss them but the seagulls are making short work of them .
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I was lucky enough to run early spring one of my dog just south of Calgary and this is a bad quality video if you want to take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COi-39Nw00k
He is an English Setter (European Style).
cool looking setter, how old?
did you import or get it from someone in ON?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Must be a lot of second hatches

We were trying to train dogs near a slough yesterday and some ducklings that looked to be only 2-3 days old kept following the two children around.
Made for very interesting dog training.

The little girl returned one little guy to the slough twice and 5 minutes later he was 50 feet from water following her across the grass again.

Mid July is late for newly hatched ducklings
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
We were trying to train dogs near a slough yesterday and some ducklings that looked to be only 2-3 days old kept following the two children around.
Made for very interesting dog training.

The little girl returned one little guy to the slough twice and 5 minutes later he was 50 feet from water following her across the grass again.

Mid July is late for newly hatched ducklings
second hatch???....saw a mom and dad Canada's the other day with 5 little ones , that weren't much over a week or two old. Pretty wet, yucky spring, maybe they lost some???...sorry to the OP for the derail. On the bright side, I have never seen so many Sharp Tails around as last winter, good job on the coyotes guys!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeT View Post
here's a clutch I saw Friday morning.

Wwow thank you for sharing!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Thank you! I brought the mother and father from Italy and this is the 3 years old son.Now I just brought home the nephew 3 months old... Very good looking puppy! If is big enough at 6 month I will take him on my trip..
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Wow I counted 14 eggs! How many eggs do pheasant lay on average?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Hi H380, those birds eat the chicks? Are the number of seagull incrising by any chance?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Wow I counted 14 eggs! How many eggs do pheasant lay on average?
That's actually a Gray Partridge (Hun) nest. According to my data it's smaller than average.

Clutch size can range up to 22 eggs, and averages 16 to 18.
Source: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/G...ge/lifehistory
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Haven't seen any huns around the yard this year. Don't usually hunt them but still usually see lots in the summer.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeT View Post
That's actually a Gray Partridge (Hun) nest. According to my data it's smaller than average.

Clutch size can range up to 22 eggs, and averages 16 to 18.
Source: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/G...ge/lifehistory
Wow 22 eggs!!! Out of such a small bird to boot....I always thought flocks of 20 plus were 2 family groups,that joined up.

I saw one flock of huns last week and the little ones were already flying...its funny cause they were only 1\4 the size as the adult.