Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM

I have a 2004 sportsman i bought new. It has 4600 miles on it and I just replaced the inner rear axle boots on it because of a logged out area I went through the other day. Thats it for 4600 miles. And the machine isn't babied either. i'm considering a buying another new polaris.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 AM

I have a 2012 sportsman 850 xp I love it here is a list of upgrades and no breakdowns yet
-3 inch lift
-rad relocate
-snorkel
-big gun exhaust
-dalton clutch kit
-fuel programmer
-29.5 outlaw 2 tires
-rhino axles all the way around
-500 watt boss sound system
-aluminum Sprague carrier in front diff
and storage box on the back
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 PM

I have had Honda Polaris and arctic cat, I like real power so that eliminates Honda they are ok and reliable but they are made for kids and women. The Polaris is a little heaven but has power, the A/C T/C is a beast and a pleasure to ride, I will never buy any thing that hasn't got big bore power, having more than enough is never a bad thing.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
I owned a Polaris for an entire week once. Took it back to the dealership and got a real quad.

When you grow up and become a man you're going to want that polaris back
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM

We have own 5 Polaris atv's so far and they have been great. Looking to get a RZR next. They all have their issues and they all break down. Find what you like and get out and ride.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I have a 2004 sportsman i bought new. It has 4600 miles on it and I just replaced the inner rear axle boots on it because of a logged out area I went through the other day. Thats it for 4600 miles. And the machine isn't babied either. i'm considering a buying another new polaris.

X2! I have ran my 04 polaris 700 twin since the day I bought it. 9 years of service with 6000 miles on it hunting and trail riding. Changed the belt twice and a rear boot. Regular maintenance and oil changes goes a long way. Iv rode a number of quads in my time and they all have one down fall. Once your high centered your done!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Yammi man here. Few friends that Polaris' and love them.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
We have own 5 Polaris atv's so far and they have been great. Looking to get a RZR next. They all have their issues and they all break down. Find what you like and get out and ride.
Exactly, I have worked on quads/motorcyles for going on 20 years and this statement could not be more true...WITH the exception of the best quads ever built, footshift honda 300-400's :P I know though now that these to most are underpowered and "small" and not flashy haha, I also did an engine rebuild one time on a 1992 suzuki king quad that had 50,000km's on it (was used at a peat moss plant)

All in all I have seen EVERYTHING break and ALL quads, find what you think looks cool, rides nice, in your pricing and look after it properly and it more then likely will not let you down too often or at all.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 AM

I was one of those "Honda or nothing" kind of guys but then I drove a buddies rzr xp 900 and seen what it could do. After that I waited to see if he could break it and did research on them. Couldn't find anything other than extreame abuse breaking them so I bought one and haven't looked back. By far the best riding most powerful sxs there is. With TRUE four wheel drive. I live where the muskeg is bottomless. And as long as there's some grass to crawl across it will go. Yes, it's heavier but the longer wheelbase really pushes it through. I never believed where they would go until I seem it. A friend has the ranger 6x6 and its unreal where it will go also. And after riding all day you get out and your not sore or tired. Makes for a much more enjoyable ride. 1200 km later the only things that have broke is cv axles which I put in hd replacements and haven't had an issue since. I'm running 30" outlaws with 88hp so it was expected they would fail. And I still have my 08 foreman 500. It sits in the shed
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4MooseHunting View Post
I was one of those "Honda or nothing" kind of guys but then I drove a buddies rzr xp 900 and seen what it could do. After that I waited to see if he could break it and did research on them. Couldn't find anything other than extreame abuse breaking them so I bought one and haven't looked back. By far the best riding most powerful sxs there is. With TRUE four wheel drive. I live where the muskeg is bottomless. And as long as there's some grass to crawl across it will go. Yes, it's heavier but the longer wheelbase really pushes it through. I never believed where they would go until I seem it. A friend has the ranger 6x6 and its unreal where it will go also. And after riding all day you get out and your not sore or tired. Makes for a much more enjoyable ride. 1200 km later the only things that have broke is cv axles which I put in hd replacements and haven't had an issue since. I'm running 30" outlaws with 88hp so it was expected they would fail. And I still have my 08 foreman 500. It sits in the shed
Must admit I was the same,Till I bought a Ranger xp from a friend.Now my honda sits in the garage while the Ranger gets the duty call.I cant wait to see how it handles with a moose or elk in the back!!