Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 AM

Default Red cap ram draw....

Got drawn for the Red Cap , 437 , anybody new what the hunter success rate is for last year, can't seem to find that info anywhere, Thanks
Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 AM

There is a lot of rams in this area, but you will have to do some work to get them. It's not the walk in the park like everyone says, I seen mostly younger rams compared to what is in 438.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 PM

When you talk about "Redcap", you're basically talking about one long ridge, with Redcap Mtn. on one end and Cadomin Mtn. on the other . Gap in the middle you can access with a quad.

Grizz
Old 07-20-2013, 04:38 PM

I thought I seen a sign in there that said no quad access after a certain point.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I thought I seen a sign in there that said no quad access after a certain point.
Ya me too, I went up to the old Moutain Park town site and there used to be lots of quaders in there. Now the signs say no motorized vehicles. Lots of visible trails but i guess its a no go.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Glad to hear they have restricted the quad/Jeep access in this area.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Grizzly Adams is right.
You can access both sides of the main ridge with a quad with high safety risk of crossing the train tracks on one side and the other side, you can go as high as you want and park in the trees and walk up. The quad trails are steep, when I walked up those trails I found broken plastic and broken winch straps, but some guys make it to the top.
Go 5 days prior to your opening, hike all the access trails, and look in all the valleys, find a shooter and enjoy yourself.
I saw a band of 30 rams with some big rams in the bunch 2 days before the opener, a quad went up close and they ran back in to the Lafarge Quarry.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranker View Post
Grizzly Adams is right.
You can access both sides of the main ridge with a quad with high safety risk of crossing the train tracks on one side and the other side, you can go as high as you want and park in the trees and walk up. The quad trails are steep, when I walked up those trails I found broken plastic and broken winch straps, but some guys make it to the top.
Go 5 days prior to your opening, hike all the access trails, and look in all the valleys, find a shooter and enjoy yourself.
I saw a band of 30 rams with some big rams in the bunch 2 days before the opener, a quad went up close and they ran back in to the Lafarge Quarry.
I was thinking of the Mackenzie Gap trail. Had to look at the map. When i was there, you could access it south of Mountain Park. If they closed it in the mean time, quadders got no one to blame but themselves. More quads on the main road than trucks or cars.

Grizz
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM

I was in there on Sunday. You can definitely access it on quads. The mine is moving further and further in everyday so good thing you got the draw when you did. My dad got it in '04 and we took a full curl ram out of there!
I saw 18 ewes/ lambs and 29 rams in there on Sunday! A couple dandies!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM

Default disgusting.

It is a bloody sin what the government is allowing the mining companies, or company is this case do to that place... Truly one of the most beautiful places on this continent, thick and thriving with all types of wildlife, and our powers to be are just allowing them to blast it away.... Enjoy it while it lasts gents... In ten years it will be a sad sad sight.. Utterly Disgusting...
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
It is a bloody sin what the government is allowing the mining companies, or company is this case do to that place... Truly one of the most beautiful places on this continent, thick and thriving with all types of wildlife, and our powers to be are just allowing them to blast it away.... Enjoy it while it lasts gents... In ten years it will be a sad sad sight.. Utterly Disgusting...
My feelings while I was there. That new Cheviot mine, that people fought for years, will ravage the place not mention deprive us of access to what was public land. As it is, you never get away from the mining activity. Huge coal haulers 24 hours a day and you haven't lived till you've experienced one of their blasts.

Grizz
Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My feelings while I was there. That new Cheviot mine, that people fought for years, will ravage the place not mention deprive us of access to what was public land. As it is, you never get away from the mining activity. Huge coal haulers 24 hours a day and you haven't lived till you've experienced one of their blasts.

Grizz
What cheeses me off is the Gregg mine is still off limits to the public even though it no longer mined and has been reclaimed. When does the public get the effin land back or will they just keep us out forever.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 PM

Agree ... it should be given back with out any special interest groups keeping it closed

just like it was proposed at the time the lease was given

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
What cheeses me off is the Gregg mine is still off limits to the public even though it no longer mined and has been reclaimed. When does the public get the effin land back or will they just keep us out forever.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Agree ... it should be given back with out any special interest groups keeping it closed

just like it was proposed at the time the lease was given

David
that would be a good start. the white goat and siffleur fry me more though. I just cant see a good reason for shutting them down in the first place.