Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 PM
grandzillaa

Default Were the deer actully Starving to death in Bear canyon?

I read an artical from the letters section of the Alberta Outdoorsmen....pages 20 & 22. There are also two pictures of deer carcasses that were suppost to be harvest in Bear Canyon....the ribs are showing. Now it could have been skinned that way or they truly were starving to death.

Can any hunters who hunted that area confirm this?

The fellow who wrote the artical said they could have feed the deer up thier.

I know we talked on this before...but could there have been a better solution? Or was the way it was done the right way?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
varmitr

zilla,
my brother and I hunted in bear canyon there in 2006 one week in sept and 2 different weeks in nov. we were tenting and between the -20C and getting snowed in overnight. we were concerned for our safety, so we ended up getting a motel. we seen some elk, one real nice 8x6, heard some wolves, 40 moose, hundreds of sharpies and treehens...its a wild country and beautiful up there.
it was nothing to see a couple of hundred deer a day. mostly hens with chicks, lots of triplets and doubles. these 'domesticated' deer would literally live in silage pits, hay yards or feedlots. whitetails became feedlot animals too, but they were a little more typically skittish in true wt fashion. we never seen the bucks we went for, just 170-180" stuff
there was ton of snow there and it all came in couple dumps so the packed trails never formed. in the thick bush it was about two feet deep and the feilds were 2 1/2 -3'. the deer wouldnt even run from you, they were in survival mode already, in the middle of the rut.
we called a coyote in to 25 feet on camera and threw a glove at it and it jumped for the glove, as if it was a grouse in flight. growlled at us and went off slowly they were hungry tooo..
most of the landowners we spoke too, would be happy if the deer and elk would just die off, so feeding them more than what they already do is a crazy proposal. from the landowners prospective feed is at a premium for cattle.
it would be the same as feeding magpies in the city.