Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Default What to buy??

Im looking at getting a new 300bee. What make and model should I get?? I do a lot of backpack hunting. thnks
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM

Why a "Bee?"
A 300 win Mag, is all one will ever need, brass and loaded ammo is way more availble, and the selection of rifles in the Win Mag is far more diverse.

But if you want a "Bee"
And a light one too boot, all I can say is I hope you have a good chiropractor.

I'll show you how little diffrence the two calibers make.

Assuming 24" bbls, a 300Win mag will do 2980fps with a 180 gr. bullet.

The 300 WTBY will do about 3050fps from the same length barrel and same bullet.(you want a light rifle, so no need for a 26"bbl)

So on paper it looks like this.
Using 180 gr, Partitions at the above noted speeds, both with scopes 1.5" above bore line, and set for 2.5" high at 100yds.

300WTBY:
Dist. Traj. Energy
100 +2.5 3305ftlbs
200 +2.29 2870ftlbs
300 -2.76 2485ftlbs
400 -13.42 2139ftlbs
500 -30.58 1834ftlbs

300Win Mag:
Dist. Traj. Energy
100 +2.5 3025ftlbs
200 +1.9 2621ftlbs
300 -4.01 2262ftlbs
400 -16.07 1942ftlbs
500 -35.29 1660ftlbs

Hmm trajectories to 400yds are within 2.5" of each other, and energies are only 100ftlbs different.

I sure the heck cant see a difference, and neither could any other hunter out there. And the game well it sure the heck aint gonna see no difference.

The world is'nt as black and white as a lot of publications would lead you to believe.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-eater View Post
Im looking at getting a new 300bee. What make and model should I get?? I do a lot of backpack hunting. thnks
Fine selection in caliber. Great all-round for Alberta IMO. Have been shooting a 300 WBY since I was a kid. Recoil is a bit more than other 30 calibers, but the extra velocity and energy seem to make quite a difference. I have shot pretty much every species (and quite a number of some of the species) in alberta with one, and love the performance. Both mine are the mark V action, one wood and one synthetic. Prefer the synthetic one of course for packing around and beating up. Both shoot amazingly well also. Only thing with the mark V is they are a bit heavy for packing, but like I say, have done so for years, mine has been drug up many a mountain. The extra # or two is worth it!
ps, I find ammo and brass quite easy to find, as it is the most popular of the weatherby calibers, although won't get it at your local UFA.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Why a 300wby??? I already own one and reload for it so its what im set up for. Its the best Cal. going in my books. My rifle is getting old and i want a new one.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 PM

Good luck finding one that fits your criteria, on the shelf.

Now if you want to have one custom built, well the sky is the limit.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Fine selection in caliber. Great all-round for Alberta IMO. Have been shooting a 300 WBY since I was a kid. Recoil is a bit more than other 30 calibers, but the extra velocity and energy seem to make quite a difference. I have shot pretty much every species (and quite a number of some of the species) in alberta with one, and love the performance. Both mine are the mark V action, one wood and one synthetic. Prefer the synthetic one of course for packing around and beating up. Both shoot amazingly well also. Only thing with the mark V is they are a bit heavy for packing, but like I say, have done so for years, mine has been drug up many a mountain. The extra # or two is worth it!
ps, I find ammo and brass quite easy to find, as it is the most popular of the weatherby calibers, although won't get it at your local UFA.
Answer me this, how is it so much more than a 300 Win Mag?
Place a 300 Win Mag with a 26" bbl, next to a 300WTBY, and I'll wager there is nary a hunter, shooter, or arm chair quarterback who could tell the difference.
Except that the WTBY needs a full magnum action (2.8" case), and that the brass is almost double the price of Win Mag brass, oh ya and the powder it needs to burn to get another 75fps in velocity.

The 300WTBY is a fine caliber no one disputes that, but come on, to explain it rises so far beyond it's closest kin, is reaching to the point of blind faith and devotion.

One has to wonder that if Weatherby came out with some Kool Aid if you'd be first in line to have a good drink.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 PM

dick284

please dont be a thread jacker!!!!!!!! If you dont want to help out then get lost. Ive been out of the market for a long time and just looking for some opinions on a good gun in the 300wby cal. thats it......... thnks
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM

IMO if one is going to shoot a Wby caliber might as well get a Wby rifle.
The Mark V Ultra Lightweight looks like it might fit your needs, although a bit pricey.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Answer me this, how is it so much more than a 300 Win Mag?
Place a 300 Win Mag with a 26" bbl, next to a 300WTBY, and I'll wager there is nary a hunter, shooter, or arm chair quarterback who could tell the difference.
Except that the WTBY needs a full magnum action (2.8" case), and that the brass is almost double the price of Win Mag brass, oh ya and the powder it needs to burn to get another 75fps in velocity.

The 300WTBY is a fine caliber no one disputes that, but come on, to explain it rises so far beyond it's closest kin, is reaching to the point of blind faith and devotion.

One has to wonder that if Weatherby came out with some Kool Aid if you'd be first in line to have a good drink.
Hey there Dick, thanks for the reply. Once you read this if you could be so kind as to scroll back to the top of the thread, you'll find that the fella was looking for a recommendation on a 300 WBY he is looking to buy. His thread wasn't titled "could someone please talk me into a 300 win. rather than a 300 wby." I for one agree with his selection of caliber, and although I would love to sit here and argue with you the merits of the wby compared to the win., I'm really not that bored right now. Think I will just wander into the living room, look at the stuff hanging on my walls, and admire how well a weatherby has worked for me.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
IMO if one is going to shoot a Wby caliber might as well get a Wby rifle.
The Mark V Ultra Lightweight looks like it might fit your needs, although a bit pricey.
x2 on the ultra lightweight. Don't have one YET myself, but think it would fit your needs as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Hey there Dick, thanks for the reply. Once you read this if you could be so kind as to scroll back to the top of the thread, you'll find that the fella was looking for a recommendation on a 300 WBY he is looking to buy. His thread wasn't titled "could someone please talk me into a 300 win. rather than a 300 wby." I for one agree with his selection of caliber, and although I would love to sit here and argue with you the merits of the wby compared to the win., I'm really not that bored right now. Think I will just wander into the living room, look at the stuff hanging on my walls, and admire how well a weatherby has worked for me.
Yes you are right.
I just wanted to point out that for his criteria, and caliber of choice the field of view is very narrow.
Move to the WTBY's cousin the Win Mag, and voila, the field of view is much wider.

Dont get too hung up on the name, get hung up on the real world performance is all I'm saying.

I'll just step out of the office now and look all the game on my walls and admire how well my 25'06 has worked for me! Wait a minute I have one taken with a 284Win as well.

You've missed where I wanted to take your thought process.( no I'm not selling nothing)
Nuttin wrong with a 300WTBY, it has a very admirable on game record, as has about a un numberable number of other calibers.

Open your mind and see that double radius shouders are not the be all end all, especially if your looking for stuff a bit outside of Weatherby's norm.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM

I've seen 2 or three KS Mountain rifles around chambered for the 300 Wby. I'd look around for a good used one of those, and if the Wby can't be found find another chambered for a belted mag and re-barrel. Or start from scratch.