Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Default Why you never hunt alone.

On Wednesday we had our first accident hunting in over 25 years of hunting. I was out hunting with my little brothers. We were in an area we had hunted for years. We saw some deer in the field and started or stalk. When we got to the bush we split up. My younger brother who is 28 and has hunted since he could walk went one way. Then I took our little brother was is 15 with me and we went the other way. My little brother and I positioned our self in an open area in the bush. When we heard two gun shots. About ten minutes later we started heading back to where we heard the gun shots. As we were heading down the trail we could hear the truck horn honking. As soon as we heard that we headed straight for the truck. When we got back to the truck we found my brother standing next to the truck talking to 911 on his cell phone. From their it was one reaction after another that saved his life. The first shot killed the deer and when he reloaded the gun exploded in his face. He was in the U of A hospital for 5 days, and had five hours of reconstructive surgery. He is doing well, and back home. The RCMP have no idea what went wrong with the gun and said they have never seen anything go wrong like this with a rifle and have no sign of why it happened. I hope everyone has a safe hunting season, and please hunt with a partner and carry a phone or a way to get 911. Hunt safe and good luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Holy smokes glad to hear he's ok.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 PM

WOW very lucky, glad he's OK!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Good to here he is doing well. What brand of rifle was he shooting?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM

man , you guys got somebody watching over ya. hope everything is good and you guys figure out what happened? will he ever shoulder a rifle again? or probably way too early to tell? sorry to hear this though. wish you guys the best.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Crazy!!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Glad to hear he is doing ok, they have excellent doctors at the U of A. Makes me rethink on how I hunt.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Prays on the way up and thanks for the good words of advice
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM

Glad to hear your bro is OK, codeman. Scary experience.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM

My wife is always on me to carry a phone while hunting. I hate the bloody things but this makes me think twice. Glad your bro is OK. Best wishes.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Wow scary glad to hear that he is ok. The exact reason I pack my S.P.O.T and Sat. phone at all times in my pack.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Thumbs up

Let him know all his other brothers on the forum are hopeing for a quick and full recovery. Keep us posted.

Conan
Old 11-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Just never know when things will happen...Glad to hear he is doing ok...I also agree with the S.P.O.T and phones along on any hunting trip!!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM

Whow, he's lucky to be alive. I know a feller (or use to) who had the same thing happen to him, he wasn't so lucky. Unfortunately he grabbed the wrong shells for his rifle.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Wow, very lucky to still be alive after that.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 PM

wishing your bother a speedy recovery.When i was in my early teens a buddy and i were out shootin rabbits with .22s.After a few rabbits i lined up and bam.The gun jumps out of my hand knocks me on my ass and i go wtf.Buddys lookin at me like im half crazy.Shake it off and look at the gun.Old cooy single shot.Split from the chamber to within 2 inches of the end of the barrel.Both sides.Bolt flew out the back side.Still have the gun.Found the casing and a chunk of something was still in it.Still have that too.To this day i still flinch shooting a .22.Hit worse than my 300 mag.Factory super x still have the rest of the box.I now carry a spot and cell for all trips..Hope your brother gets back at it soon.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 PM

PM sent.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Wow that is scary. Your brother is a lucky man. Tell him that the AO moderator crew wishes him the best and hope that he has a speedy recovery.

When you have time I would and sure everyone else would love to know what type of gun and ammo he was shooting. Or even if you hear an outcome of the failure.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your brother.I too would be interested in the cause of the incident when things settle down and the investigation is complete.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Hope things turn out ok...

I had a similar thing happen to me last year goose hunting, but thankfully all I wound up with is damaged hearing.

I'm finishing up my settlement w/olin Corp (out of court). Bottom line is, we're playing with booms, and machines can fail.

It is pretty scary. I have two kids now who want to get into hunting. It really makes we consider stuff.

Hope everything turns out ok.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 AM

I hope everything works out.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 AM

Wow! Praying for a speedy recovery!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 AM

hope for a good recovery.had a friend whos gun blew up on pulling the trigger ,he was resting on a table target shooting when it happened ,it blew a hole in the table luckly down instead of up .after a lawyer a lot a calls & checking things out they found the ammo company under charge the gun powder in the shell causing it to explode instead of burning in the proper order.mass producing ammo for the golf war was to blame (quality control)i beleave ammo company ,which won i dont remeber but could find out , replaced the gun .which ammo was he shooting.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Wow, that's just freaky... Glad to hear he's on the mend.

Stinky
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Glad to here he will be alright. Sure sounds like a mechanicl failure. Please do post information about your brothers firearm, his ammo(factory or handloads)
and what he thinks happened.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Holy cow. Glad he's o.k. Hope he heals up quick. I had a single shot 12 ga explode in my face almost 20 years ago. The barrel blew up at the breech and blew off. Landed about 15 feet away. Luckly I walked away without a scratch, but I couldn't hear on the right side for a few days. Scary stuff when you think of the could have's.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM

He was shooting a 7mm mag. He was using factory ammo. The RCMP found nothing wrong with the gun. I'm going to go back out and try and find the bolt for the rifle. The RCMP are returning the gun to him, I'm going to try and get some pics of the gun. I'll try and find out what brand of bullet he was using. It would be nice to know what happened. He is doing really good and recovering quickly. He says he'll keep hunting. I'm just thankful it happened that night when I was their. He was planning on taking out his four year old son the next day, to do some spotting and walking through the bush. It just happened that I couldn't make it that day. Am I ever thanking the stars that didn't happen. My daughters are 10, 7, & 4. I take my kids chicken hunting, and deer spotting all the time. I was planning on taking my 10 year old daughter hunting with me this year. But to say the least I'm not going to this year, at least not by myself. It's amazing when an accident finally happens how it changes your train of thought.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
He was shooting a 7mm mag. He was using factory ammo. The RCMP found nothing wrong with the gun. I'm going to go back out and try and find the bolt for the rifle.
It blew the bolt out of the rifle? What kind of rifle was it?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM

Glad to hear that he is doing better. Hope everything works out for him.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 PM

Wow. Glad he made it.

Scary stuff can happen anytime I suppose.

Hope his recovery goes well.

Tags
accident, gun explosion, hunting, partner