Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Meateater done?

Not sure who else has seen the new season, but IMO it sure had the ring of a last season. Infact, it seemed like a season that didnt receive the usual effort to begin with, and was abandon half way through.

I hope not, because that is a heck of a sour note for someone like Steve Rinella to go out on, but to me it sure didnt look promising.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:47 PM
Banned

He sold out a long time ago
Old 09-19-2020, 01:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hope not.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
I would agree with that to an extent, but this is a whole new level IMO.

-Hunts an exotic species on a large private ranch in Texas: Kind of blew my mind.

- Does a fully outfitted horseback mule deer hunt: Not a major thing, but he's promoted DIY type hunting for so long it was a bit surprising.

- Wounds an elk he never finds, end of season.

Thats not a summary, thats pretty much the whole thing. Do yourselves a favor and skip this one.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I would agree with that to an extent, but this is a whole new level IMO.

-Hunts an exotic species on a large private ranch in Texas: Kind of blew my mind.

- Does a fully outfitted horseback mule deer hunt: Not a major thing, but he's promoted DIY type hunting for so long it was a bit surprising.

- Wounds an elk he never finds, end of season.

Thats not a summary, thats pretty much the whole thing. Do yourselves a favor and skip this one.

Dam now I am going to fire it up.....heard a new season was on....wife will tell me to shut up after I start barking at the show if it goes south.....

Old 09-19-2020, 02:51 PM

This is only half of this season. He posted on Instagram or some similar social media that the second half will be released later this year. Gotta give him credit for trying to make sure things don't get stale. One can only watch so many DIY mulie hunts to begin to get tired of em.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-19-2020, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Happens to 99% of hunting shows/hosts. Usually doesn’t take very long.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
This is only half of this season. He posted on Instagram or some similar social media that the second half will be released later this year. Gotta give him credit for trying to make sure things don't get stale. One can only watch so many DIY mulie hunts to begin to get tired of em.
You felt that the addition of some guides, horses, and wall tents made a measurable improvement? Personally, I've found that since he went to Netflix the show has gotten allot more repetitive. Not sure if its a budget thing, or if he just wanted to clear up his schedule, but the variety just isnt there anymore.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that his last show wont be about a lost elk that I'm sure he's going to catch some social media flack over.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:22 PM
Banned

I mean he actually sold out
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/variety....202964920/amp/
Doesn’t even have controlling interest anymore

It’s controlled now by a anti gun democrat
Old 09-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Default Watched a few

They seem to be on par with the other seasons. Its a bit repetitive which is bound to happen. The marketing machine is pretty obvious if you know MeatEater owns first lite, is sponsored by weatherby, vortex, stone glacier etc. The podcast is even more pointed to that. Despite all that they are keyed in on access and conservation all over the place... unlike other shows that seem to just go for horns. I still watch it.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:43 PM

It's all marketing.
It's a long time since Steve was just a self propelled enthusiastic hunter.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:42 PM

I hope it doesn't change much. I haven't seen the new season but Meateater is one of the only hunting shows I like.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 PM

I believe the continuation of the new season is supposed to start around December 16, 2020
Old 09-19-2020, 06:32 PM

We, as consumers of these shows, probably can speculate in the background, but it's pretty hard to argue why and how these things happen.

My brother in law works in "show business" - in the background, but in a role where he sees people sell out first hand. Anything from resorts, restaurants, or maybe in this case, hunting outfitters offering to pay the guy doing the show a years wages just for filming one meal, one vacation or one hunt at their facility.

It's a business.

Even some pretty "well known" shows we watch, you'd be surprised what a shoe string budget and how little the "star" of the show gets paid. Expenses are big for these productions and the guys filming, editing etc... need to get paid.

My B-I-L even said that one of the projects he was working on, the production company was offered $100,000 (from a resort hotel) for 2 minutes of footage and "a few lines and kind words" for a episode they did .......... 2 minutes

And, when small productions are selling these episodes to a network, and are paying their own costs and wages and are struggling for all of them to make any decent money ..... an offer like this becomes more and more tempting.

Not sure of this happened here or not, but heard lots of stories about this ......... from a credible source.

Either way - cool guy - here's an interview with him ..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7r7E0DNjaw

Last edited by EZM; 09-19-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I mean he actually sold out
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/variety....202964920/amp/
Doesn’t even have controlling interest anymore

It’s controlled now by a anti gun democrat
When it was bought in 2018 there was a radiation of media from their company. The YouTube channel expanded to have shows as well. I don’t see any negative impact, other than Rinella’s ego getting grossly large. I don’t see any anti gun agenda being asserted.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
We, as consumers of these shows, probably can speculate in the background, but it's pretty hard to argue why and how these things happen.

My brother in law works in "show business" - in the background, but in a role where he sees people sell out first hand. Anything from resorts, restaurants, or maybe in this case, hunting outfitters offering to pay the guy doing the show a years wages just for filming one meal, one vacation or one hunt at their facility.

It's a business.

Even some pretty "well known" shows we watch, you'd be surprised what a shoe string budget and how little the "star" of the show gets paid. Expenses are big for these productions and the guys filming, editing etc... need to get paid.

My B-I-L even said that one of the projects he was working on, the production company was offered $100,000 (from a resort hotel) for 2 minutes of footage and "a few lines and kind words" for a episode they did .......... 2 minutes

And, when small productions are selling these episodes to a network, and are paying their own costs and wages and are struggling for all of them to make any decent money ..... an offer like this becomes more and more tempting.

Not sure of this happened here or not, but heard lots of stories about this ......... from a credible source.

Either way - cool guy - here's an interview with him ..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7r7E0DNjaw
In this case I doubt the outfitters paid him a bunch of money, just a small father, son outfitter business. I think they just wanted to experience a guided horseback hunt just to do it. It’s possible they got a discount, but Steve’s probably got more money than the outfitter does. I haven’t watched that episode yet but did listen to podcast about it.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
In this case I doubt the outfitters paid him a bunch of money, just a small father, son outfitter business. I think they just wanted to experience a guided horseback hunt just to do it. It’s possible they got a discount, but Steve’s probably got more money than the outfitter does. I haven’t watched that episode yet but did listen to podcast about it.
Who knows really .... and would anyone ever admit it .... is another thing altogether.

The sad thing is, the show was real. It was legit. It was a guy just like us. And that's what attracted so many of us to the show.

To bad if it keeps going this way.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:03 PM

Yeah it’s my favourite show, the marketing part of it has definitely been increasing compared to the earlier stuff. Some of it is more subtle than most shows but it’s there
Old 09-19-2020, 09:28 PM

Default MeatEater done

MeatEater is one of the only hunting shows I sometimes take the time to watch. Most of the others just make me want to gag.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:03 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWD View Post
I believe the continuation of the new season is supposed to start around December 16, 2020
Good....seen the new season just finished it....no issues here on it as it was entertaining...like his very first ones the best though.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:57 AM

I haven’t seen any the new season yet either, but I did see “stars in the sky - a hunting story” and I thought it was very well done. I watched it three times actually, and I’d highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it.

With a global pandemic, who knows what new struggles these productions face, but I’m confident the financing part of it has seen it’s share of changes.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:46 AM

So on Netflix there is only season 8 and 9. Does anyone know where I can see seasons 1-7?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Banned

The old meateater seasons are way better, if you can find them on the net. Hunting with Adam weatherby, the sponsor of your show, hunting on a ranch where the guide pulls the truck up, mehhhh. I enjoyed the muzzleloader elk solo hunt. Too bad he lost it but it was more realistic than anything else out of the 5 episodes. I also don't really like Ryan Callahan or "the Latvian eagle" Janis that much.

But I can't blame Rinella for the explosion of ego or wealth. Once he hit that JRE podcast and took Joe hunting there was only one way to go and that was up up up. The episodes where he hunts with his brothers, or Remi Warren or Doug Durren are way better imo.

Now Randy Newberg or the Solo Huntr guys, I enjoy their YouTube channels.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
So on Netflix there is only season 8 and 9. Does anyone know where I can see seasons 1-7?
Yeah you gotta buy them on his website or search high and low for a streaming site. They're much better though. Less marketing and more hunting.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
I haven’t seen any the new season yet either, but I did see “stars in the sky - a hunting story” and I thought it was very well done. I watched it three times actually, and I’d highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it.

With a global pandemic, who knows what new struggles these productions face, but I’m confident the financing part of it has seen it’s share of changes.
See, I wasnt a fan of that show either. Not that it was bad, but to me it seemed pointless. It was a show that debated the ins and outs of sport hunting... that only a hunter could sit through. I think Steve was trying to explain sport hunting to the masses, but IMO the better seasons of his show actually accomplish this far more effectively.

I felt it was a good try, but a miss. As I said, to me it seems like a show that will only ever succeed in preaching to the choir.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:18 PM

Losing his antler tag and then his sight, then finding them both, legendary! I put my knife down while processing game and lose the damn thing.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:22 PM

He has the best hunting/conservation content and voice out there. He’s a huge public land advocate. I don’t like everything he produces but he certainly is not in the same mold as the other garbage content out there. He and Randy Newberg are the upper crust of hunting production and it isn’t even close.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Just finished the new season and I thought it was in-line with his other seasons and still rather enjoyed it. Yes there is alot marketing but just in the form of him and his friends wearing first lite. Although I did notice the Texas fishing guide JT had sitka pants on so they're obviously not forcing everyone to wear it.

The nilgi hunt looks fun and a rather neat looking animals. Makes me think if I ever went to Texas who wouldn't want to go hunt something with those cool horns.

Being a large name in the industry means he has connections to hunt these great spots with low pressure. No different then Joe Rogan and Can Hanes hunting the most prestigious elk ranches for $20,000 a crack. They have the connection's/ability so I don't blame them.

Hardly an outfitted mule deer hunt. They're mostly taking advantage of the horse camp so they can hunt later season. Something anyone of us could enjoy if we had friends with horses!
Old 09-20-2020, 04:59 PM

Not their best season so far, but still doing great work.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
Just finished the new season and I thought it was in-line with his other seasons and still rather enjoyed it. Yes there is alot marketing but just in the form of him and his friends wearing first lite. Although I did notice the Texas fishing guide JT had sitka pants on so they're obviously not forcing everyone to wear it.

The nilgi hunt looks fun and a rather neat looking animals. Makes me think if I ever went to Texas who wouldn't want to go hunt something with those cool horns.

Being a large name in the industry means he has connections to hunt these great spots with low pressure. No different then Joe Rogan and Can Hanes hunting the most prestigious elk ranches for $20,000 a crack. They have the connection's/ability so I don't blame them.

Hardly an outfitted mule deer hunt. They're mostly taking advantage of the horse camp so they can hunt later season. Something anyone of us could enjoy if we had friends with horses!
Yeah Cam Hanes lol arrows 3-4 ranched elk a year it seems.