Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Banned

Lol, well, sorry to have wasted so much of yall's time. Maybe we need another Grendel thread instead?

I suspect a few old timers, land owners, likely have let lapse, and some of us forget to grab out of safe as we use so infrequently and never get asked when stopped. So, if anything we can take the thread as a reminder to keep that sumbich under the pillow, and in your pocket at all times lol.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Lol, well, sorry to have wasted so much of yall's time. Maybe we need another Grendel thread instead?

I suspect a few old timers, land owners, likely have let lapse, and some of us forget to grab out of safe as we use so infrequently and never get asked when stopped. So, if anything we can take the thread as a reminder to keep that sumbich under the pillow, and in your pocket at all times lol.

Haha!

Nope, your thread started a great discussion, and it’s a great reminder for us to carry our “papers”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-07-2020, 01:14 PM

Question Paper slip?

I have a current PAL which is with me when hunting however I thought the individual paper slips that were firearm specific where a thing of the past since the registry was cancelled for long guns?
Old 09-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Banned

registry is dead so i think they are talking about a paper slip that comes with the pal, i can't even remember that, paper isn't very reliable in a wallet so i doubt i'd even try that
Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
registry is dead so i think they are talking about a paper slip that comes with the pal, i can't even remember that, paper isn't very reliable in a wallet so i doubt i'd even try that
Yaa if there was a paper slip it was tossed about 3 years ago when my card came in the mail...I’ve been checked multiple times by F&W and even rcmp with firearms and not once asked for it however looks like that might be changing...
Old 09-07-2020, 02:35 PM

The paper slip is only for Restricted class firearms, it basically gives an automatic Authorization to Transport to the places as indicated on the slip.

It does not apply to Non-Restricted firearms.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:39 PM
Banned

and that's why i don't know about it, only got a pal, whew
Old 09-07-2020, 02:49 PM

Trouble is that these days you never know who you are going to be dealing with in the LEO field, and what they just went thru with the people they talked to previously that week or day, or who their bosses are, or what their bosses told them to do, or when. It's called CYA. 99% won't create any issues, but, one instance is enough to screw up your life and lifestyle real good, these days, if you don't do your part. CO's , F&W officers, whatever they call them, seems they change the titles about every decade, and nowadays, their job descriptions and duties and who they work for altogether. And it is your responsibility to do what is necessary to comply, all they do is ask the questions they are tasked to ask, if they see a need to. And yes, it generally sucks, and it is supposed to.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
The paper slip is only for Restricted class firearms, it basically gives an automatic Authorization to Transport to the places as indicated on the slip.

It does not apply to Non-Restricted firearms.
Thanks ....I was starting to wonder
Old 09-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think you're also supposed to carry the little paper slip that came with your PAL at all times. Mine is in my wallet.
I was under the impression the little piece of paper was for transporting "restricted" firearms.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I was under the impression the little piece of paper was for transporting "restricted" firearms.
I'm not sure. Any info on that piece of worn out paper should be visible if they were to run my RPAL. But regardless I carry it in my wallet anyway. You never know when they want to nit pick about your info. We do transport restricted firearms quite often.

Last may I went through a check stop with a rifle case and 4 or 5 handgun cases in the back seat of my truck. The officer said "looks like you have a few firearms back there, make sure they stay in their cases." And that's all he mentioned about it. I'm sure if he wanted to be a jerk he could have found something i was doing wrong.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 PM

I always have my RPal in my wallet but when I get out of the vehicle to go hunt my wallet usually stays in the truck. I guess if hunting public land I should start packing it.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Personally I would like it if they gave us the option to upload or register our PAL's with the AlbertaRELM app on our phones. I have used it a few times when being checked by CO's. Shortens up the list of what we have to bring with us out hunting.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 PM

Default Provincial & Federal

Fellas, there are about 7 Federal F&W officers operating at any given time within the Province, on top of the Provincial crew. We are living in a "brave new world" now. Carrying your card is likely something we all do, but with the foolishness that is coming out of Ottawa these days there will likely be some CO somewhere trying to make the Officer Duffey Hall of Fame and smash someone up on charges in respect to their upland shotgun having a bore of over 20 mm.

Carry your card, be prepared to show it, joining the CCFR, may not be a bad idea, or carrying Personal Firearms Insurance coverage as well.

This isn't just another year.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 PM

F & W came and checked our hunt last weekend, no PAL was asked for, just the usual. No issues.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have always carried my PAL , and I have been checked twice at combined RCMP/F&W checkstops. Why wouldn't a person carry a PAL , when you could be pulled by RCMP at any time? And if you are pulled over, and the RCMP see that you have a firearm, you should expect them to ask you to produce your PAL. And if you are in possession of firearms without a valid PAL, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. As much as I have no use for our firearms laws, only a fool gives the police an excuse to seize their firearms.
I've been through RCMP and peace officer checkstops with guns in the cab and never been asked to provide a Pal...was surprised. I suppose they're more interested in handing out expired registration fines
Old 09-21-2020, 02:04 PM
Banned

i've been through previous checks a few times also with no ask for pal...the point of this thread is to ascertain and or advise that things may be different this year, so if any of you do get stopped this year let us know how it goes if you think of this thread
Old 09-22-2020, 10:56 AM

Default Pal

Although I have my RPAL plastic card I also need to have both the ATC (Authorization to Carry) paper slip and ATT (Authorization to Transport)when I wear my handgun on trap line.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think you're also supposed to carry the little paper slip that came with your PAL at all times. Mine is in my wallet.
i always carry my pal and this paper, but i honestly have no clue what this paper is about... does anyone here know what is this paper and why we should carry it (other than to be law-abiding citizens)? I mean what purpose does it serve?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Last year i left my wallet in the truck and went down to look for a doe that a friend of mine wounded... couldn't find it... on my way back to the truck F&W truck stopped by and i was maybe 30 yards from our truck... he asked me for my hunting license, i told him its right here in the truck... he came with me, checked my license and handed me a ticket for failing to carry a license while hunting!
i paid it, because it's the law, but i honestly think this guy could've been nicer... i was a few steps away from my truck and had all my docs...
Old 09-23-2020, 07:07 PM

Is the slip of paper for rpal only?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:23 AM

I've always assumed you had to have PAL with you if out with firearms
Old 09-24-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhwight View Post
Is the slip of paper for rpal only?
I have it with my PAL... and I carry it around despite the fact that I don’t know what purpose it serves... just following the instructions that were sent with my PAL last time I renewed it
Old 01-18-2021, 06:56 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread....

Now that another hunting season has come and gone (for most seasons), did anyone get asked to produce their firearms license during a hunting license check this past hunting season? I'm curious if Fish & Wildlife enforcement is changing the laws they enforce now that they fall under Alberta Sheriffs.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:15 AM

I only got checked once by F&w once duck hunting last year and they didn’t ask to see my PAL. I don’t care if they do ask to see my PAL because I always have it on me

Personally have no issues with them asking to see my PAL when I have a firearm with me. What concerns me more is I only seen F&W once all hunting in areas I seen them commonly last year

I hope it was just my timing and not that F&W is getting spread thin do to new responsibilities
Old 01-18-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I hope it was just my timing and not that F&W is getting spread thin do to new responsibilities
This is part of the reason i ask the question.... a few years ago, I saw a lot more license checks happening both during hunting and fishing season for me. I've been out fishing more often the last few years, but haven't had a license check since 2018. I had 50+ fishing days last year, and the only time I saw F&W enforcement vehicles was driving down the highway.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
This is part of the reason i ask the question.... a few years ago, I saw a lot more license checks happening both during hunting and fishing season for me. I've been out fishing more often the last few years, but haven't had a license check since 2018. I had 50+ fishing days last year, and the only time I saw F&W enforcement vehicles was driving down the highway.
Only place I have seen F&W over the last year till now has been south buck lake. They seem to basically live there. I have more days out hunting/fishing then I can remember and outside of south buck lake 0 F&W encounters
Old 01-18-2021, 07:47 AM

There is a few powerjunky DBAG COs around.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 AM

I never got checked but know people who did and a lot of people had to show the pals.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
There is a few powerjunky DBAG COs around.
Yeah, I hear that about (insert any profession here) as well! Terrible......