Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Pontoon system for Quads

Sparx,
I have seen a few different versions over the years, a guiding outfit had a similar set up in the states back in 2008 but it didn't take off either, hard to pack the bigger bulky pontoons so I went with the inflatable system. When I did the initial water testing I challenged 5 of my buddies to get onto my quad in the water and try and flip it, (Outlander MXR 1000) No matter how hard they tried they couldn't flip it, it was actually quite comical!! There is absolutely no stability issues at all. When I applied for approval from Transport Canada one of their requirements was to do a stability test. I had to load the front rack, back rack, left and right footwells (Independantly) with as much weight as I could to get the pontoons submerged level with the water surface. I couldn't get enough weight on the Quad to even accomplish this. (Not enough room to stack the weights) and I didn't want to damage my Quad racks lol. It's rated for 1650lbs safe working but capable of more. The whole system was designed to be user friendly, compact, (no piece is longer than 36" and no wider than 21") The pontoons have 3 chambers and separate valves etc. Installing it and taking it off every 20 minutes was not the idea but getting to that remote lake and spending the day there fishing was the goal. Dropping that prize animal in water would be a breeze to recover, not to load it on the water but to tie a rope onto it, get back to shore, and then use your Quad to pull it out was more what I was thinking. I too have owned two Argos, both fully loaded Conquests. Virtually unstoppable with tracks and proper maintenance but unfortunately not great in deep water especially if the wind picks up! Although all machines have their great qualities, sadly not one can do everything haha!! Thanks for the feedback!! I will be showing the system at the Grande Prairie hunting show in October as well!!

Thanks,
Darrell Grove
Water Traxx Inc.
www.watertraxxinc.com
Old 07-26-2019, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just a quick Google search of Alberta oh use on public land and came up with this....
It's the Law
Ride on approved trails only
Keep wheels out of streams, rivers, and lakes
Wheeled or tracked vehicles are not allowed on beds or shores of watercourses, wetlands or waterbodies
Driving in these areas produces harmful ruts and erosion problems. In addition, fine sediments stirred up by tires are harmful to fish. See:
Know B4 U Go: ATV's and Water Don't Mix
Keep Wheels Out of Water(PDF, 21 MB)
Take garbage with you - leave nothing behind
Prevent start of a wildfire - keep your machine free of debris
Limit your stay to 14 days
Be sure your OHV is compliant. The unit must:
Be registered
Be insured
Have a licence plate
Have a head-light and tail-light
Have an approved muffler.

I would check directly with authorities before I sunk a bunch of cash into this and then what......make a pontoon boat I guess.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Default pontoons for ATV

Get a old Big Red Honda trike. The large tires floated me down many fast moving rivers when I was young and crazy trying to cross them.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Get a old Big Red Honda trike. The large tires floated me down many fast moving rivers when I was young and crazy trying to cross them.
Those where the days....Honda big red....man I am amazed I survived that machine.......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Awesomeness fore sure, either something like that or we stay with the old used Argo,,, I call it the little D4 push cat. Ha

Works great for land travel and fishing...

Oh Yha

Tags
boating, fishing, hunting, outdoors, quadding