Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Default Donating wild meat

Ok I finally got the ok to donate some wild meat to the classes I run.
I can’t believe the hoops a feller has to jump through to do that, I guess it ain’t going to happen.

Here’s what they require:

Thanks for waiting. All in all it should be fine, but we’d like you to provide us with some information and you’ll have to do some recordkeeping.

Field Dressing Process (step-by-step breakdown)
· How animal was killed/where (this would be a regular log), tags/licenses; also, would you be able to get it from the food bank? Hunters Who Care does a program that already has some inspection to it.
· For your own meat:
o How soon after kill is field dressing started? Approximate time frame for filed dressing process from start to finish?
o Health assessment conducted?
o How is the meat protected from contamination during field dressing process?
o Is animal skinned/portioned?
o Cooling/drying process? How quickly is the meat cooled?

Transportation
· Method of transport?
· Storage of meat during transport (how is it kept cold and packaged)?

Aging Process (if applicable)
· Where does aging take place?
· Temperature during aging process?
· How many days do they age meat?
· Storage during aging process?

Butchering/Portioning/Record Keeping Processes
· Where is meat portioned? Approved facility? Separation from approved foods?
· Items/equipment used during butcher/portioning (if done yourself)?
· Visual health assessment conducted during butchering/portioning?
· Packaging/labelling/record keeping?

Also, prior/during the class:
· Record of when this class is offered
· When/how is the meat transported to the class?
· Is the meat stored separately from other products in the kitchen and clearly labeled?
· Thermometers should be used to check the internal cooking temperature of the meat (74C)
· If clients take any leftovers home, instructions on reheating to 74C once only as leftovers, not to be distributed to others
· Potential for cross contamination in facility – thorough dedicated time to disinfecting the facility after this activity

Best regards
Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Would you expect someone to no questions asked trustingly eat meat that potentially wasnt handled in a confirmed properly controlled location? There are some people that still have no concept of temperature control for preventing bacterial growth or concern about e coli exposure. Some people are fantastic at safe food handling, but some arent....

I think these are all valid questions. It really is special to share wild meat, and frustrating that it seems so difficult, but the caution is realistic.

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-28-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Wink liability is minimized by a 1,000 page report

What?? They haven't asked where the styrofoam portion plates, or the cellophane wrap were purchased? And they completely missed all the pertinent questions about environmental sustainability and the CO2 footprint of the entire endeavour.
I'm disappointed they were so short sighted.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Flipping near as much work as building a pipeline. These people are idiots and should never be allowed out of their padded rooms. Good on you for trying but no way would I jump through those kinds of asinine hoops.

If they are adult learners and you really want to do this either buy some from the store so it is Gov inspected or invite them over to your place and let them try it.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM

I figured it would be onerous but not that bad. They are all pertinent questions that’s true. I just thught it might be a bit easier for a group of adults who would like to try some game and never have the chance. It’s nit like they’re buying the game form a restaurant or butcher shop.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Is it because the students are paying for the class? If so perhaps you could offer that session free of charge as a bonus? I can understand them making sure the meat is safe to eat but to go through that much trouble. To me it seems if you are donating the meat free of charge then you shouldn't have to go to such lengths but then again society has become so litigious these days nothing really surprises me any more.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Is it because the students are paying for the class? If so perhaps you could offer that session free of charge as a bonus? I can understand them making sure the meat is safe to eat but to go through that much trouble. To me it seems if you are donating the meat free of charge then you shouldn't have to go to such lengths but then again society has become so litigious these days nothing really surprises me any more.
Nope the classes are free.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:32 PM

If the classes are free who is regulating your giving of meat? Not sure why consensual adults can’t accept meat free...seems like a do at your own risk kind of situation to me..
Old 05-28-2019, 01:52 PM

Print a waiver form and have each person fill it out. Rid yourself of all liability and share away.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
Print a waiver form and have each person fill it out. Rid yourself of all liability and share away.
Darn tootin!!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
So next your going to have your buddies sign a waiver before u serve them a beer? Waivers aren't actually worth the paper they are written on. If u were negligent the waiver won't protect u and if u weren't then u can't be succesfully sued anyhow. That said nothing stops someone from suing u no matter what, just depends which way the ruling goes.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So next your going to have your buddies sign a waiver before u serve them a beer? Waivers aren't actually worth the paper they are written on. If u were negligent the waiver won't protect u and if u weren't then u can't be succesfully sued anyhow. That said nothing stops someone from suing u no matter what, just depends which way the ruling goes.
X2 ... in some Jurisdictions waivers are meaninless. Alberta is one of them.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:06 PM

If a non hunter is found to have game meat the waiver explains who shot and gave the meat.

The donating of meat program in Alberta is sort of odd. I called the co-ordinator 2 years ago to find out about how the program works and if an individual could acquire some of the donated meat. The program would not give the meat to individuals and would only give the meat to public soup kitchens for the homeless. Not sure if anything has changed.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets