Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2021, 01:01 AM

Default Generic rifle bases vs higher end

I've been experimenting with a theory lately about the accuracy and consistency of scope mounting. My recent experience was using factory bases on a 30-06 higher end rifle that no matter the adjustment and the fact the scope was remounted a few times using a leveling kit and 100m string test to confirm, that the bullet drop would wander to the left as distance increased. First thing was loading a string test for 4 distances, 5 round per range at a .5gr upcharge and they all wandered to the left. Wind was not a factor on that day. After switching to a 1 piece 20moa rail for that rifle my ladder groups now travel in a near straight vertical line. This leads me to believe that factory mounts were machined in properly or offset that caused my horizontal stringing on the ladder test climbs. Anyone else experienced similar accuracy performance switching to a higher quality rail?
Old 09-09-2021, 12:02 PM

We spend thousands on a rifle, another couple on a scope, then buy 10"s thousands on reloading equipment . But we buy the cheapest rings we can find, just human nature.

So to answer your question yes GOOD rings / bases really do matter. Then again so does the machining / drilling accuracy of the scope mount placement on the receive. Which is almost a none issue in the world of CNC machining nowadays. But you generally get what you pay for.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:24 PM

I can't say I have experienced similar. I tend to avoid "cheap" mounting hardware but I don't consider inexpensive and cheap to be the same thing.

I have Seekins Rails/Seekins rings which I am happy with and for lighter weight/lower profile I have also been completely satisfied with old school, alloy weaver bases and the weaver rings with the screws on one side only. Some people hate them but aside from some fidgeting to level cross hairs I have never had problem with those base/ring combo's.

Bedding the bases adds another level of comfort/confidence to the package.