Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Drying Coyotes.

Hey guys,

Not new to killing coyotes, but relatively green to when it comes to fully processing them. I am curious as to what actually happens when a coyote is taken off the board slightly early after being fur out. I find mine with a heater and a fan on them tend to be pretty dry after 2 days of drying fur out. The number I tend to hear is closer 4-5 days. I understand what can happen if you take a coyote off early and store it in a bag or stack it. But the coyote must be fully formed after a couple days, what is the harm in taking it off and hanging it? if need be it should just dry a little but more as it hangs no?

Just a few thoughts, any feedback would be great.

Cheers.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Any moisture on the inside will help bacteria get going and start the hide rotting. It takes longer for the hide to dry where it touches the board. Once this is dry you can hang them loosely, to allow air flow.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

Lots of things to consider......temperature, humidity, air circulation, how wet the fur is when boarded, etc. The manual says 3 to 4 days after turning fur out and I usually go with that when I’m not rushed (ie. putting up as much as possible before the last receiving date) or if I need the boards. The minimum that I have gone is two days after turning but I cheated a bit by turning the heat up a few degrees from 15 and using an industrial fan on the pelts before boarding and while boarded. I find that the feel of the tucked in front legs is the best indicator of whether I should take the pelt off the board. If there’s no rush then I wouldn’t advise taking them off sooner than three days. What for if you don’t have to?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 PM

I think what goose slayer is saying is why not take it off early (after 2 days) and let hang dry. Better air circulation, correct? I guess as long as the coyote is formed, then why not?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
I think what goose slayer is saying is why not take it off early (after 2 days) and let hang dry. Better air circulation, correct? I guess as long as the coyote is formed, then why not?
This is exactly what I'm saying, I guess maybe because it will lose form? I feel like after being fur out for two days they will be formed though, maybe earlier to be honest?

Busmasters answer actually reiterated what I am saying. The boards slow drying in those spots..so why not take it off?

I try to keep them on for the required time, but I'm a student and so my time is very random. I like to be able to get coyotes up when i can and sometimes my boards get full.