Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I am not insinuating you personally believe that to be true, but..

Let's be painfully clear, that does not happen here under no circumstance. The Dippers and Albertas Minister of Economic Development and Trade Deron Bilous have categorically denied this and the best source for this fake news turns out to be "a guy who heard it from another guy". Hardly a credible source hence me asking a few posters who believed that was the case to post a link from a credible source (if there is such a thing anymore) and all I got were crickets. Be clear, VERY clear, Alberta does NOT have that requirement of sask workers working in AB. So let's stop beating that dead horse since it is just not true.

Besides would the AB gov be threatening court action if they did it too? Makes no sense.

Don't mistake me for a sask hater either, quite the opposite. I work there at least 2-3 a year and love it. I also spend a few long weekends a year in Watrous at Manitou Lake helping out at Mikes Beach Bar (shameless plug) at Canada's only Dead Sea. I love sasky and it's very friendly residents, just to be clear once again.
I as well like Saskatchewan and their people, Manitobans as well. The lefties out west, well they speak for themselves. lol. I was referring to the fact that modern day saskabush is a pretty realistic place and i wouldn't blame them one bit. Don't know who is right on this issue, all I know is I didn't really appeciate our ministers comments about Brad Wall though.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 PM

On our company trucks we used to run both Alberta and BC plates at the same time. Don't think they do that no more. We never worked in Saskabush.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
This the letter I sent to EVERY MLA in the Legislature in 2016.

Drewski
I believe that AB does not have enough able bodies to do what you seem to demand.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Dear Halfbreed

What I seem to demand is that other Provinces respect our contributions to the Canadian Economy and their own Provincial Economy.

That has not happened. As such, we can simply get what we deserve, and that is tax dollars from so many who have taken so much.

There is a modest proposal hidden in my post. If you like it so much, move here. Then buy a house, spend money in Alberta, and share in our growth. That way, all the spin off from the wages earned cause a second and third round of prosperity for Alberta.

If Saskatchewan is worried about Albertans somehow taking infrastructure dollars back home to Alberta, no problem. It works both directions you see.

Drewski
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default thank you?

thank you?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Default maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I believe that AB does not have enough able bodies to do what you seem to demand.
maybe??
Old 12-08-2017, 07:32 PM

Brad Wall's Facebook explanation.

Brad Wall
5 hrs ·

There has been some discussion about our government’s decision to require Saskatchewan licensed vehicles when companies from Alberta are working on new projects undertaken by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure. You should know that we took this action reluctantly.

Our government is, and always has been, a strong supporter of free trade, both within Canada and outside our borders. We believe eliminating tariffs and other barriers to trade is crucial to building prosperity for all Canadians.

In fact, one of our first decisions after we were first elected to office in 2007 was to join the New West Partnership, which is dedicated to reducing trade barriers in the west. The previous NDP government had refused to join the partnership.

Have no doubt, we are free traders. However, there have been a series of provocations from the NDP Government of Alberta that regrettably make this retaliatory measure necessary.

The Saskatchewan Heavy Construction Association (SHCA) has told us that vehicles with Saskatchewan licence plates are not welcome on Government of Alberta construction sites. Furthermore, according to the association, Saskatchewan contractors have been shut out of bidding on Alberta government projects. Tender packages available for Alberta-based contractors are not made available to companies from Saskatchewan.

In an interview, Shantel Lipp, the president of the SHCA, said Alberta has taken protection of its construction industry “to an extreme”. We will not stand by while the Government of Alberta discriminates against Saskatchewan contractors.

The Government of Alberta of late has done much to restrict free procurement and trade. In 2016, Canada’s premiers held their annual meeting in Whitehorse. At that meeting, the Premiers set out to negotiate a new internal trade agreement that would reduce barriers to trade. This would have included new provisions on government procurement.

Premier Notley insisted on a 20% set aside for Alberta-based companies. That would mean at least 20% of all Government of Alberta contracts would be off limits to companies based outside Alberta.

Similarly, Alberta continues to discriminate against craft brewers based in Saskatchewan and other provinces. In 2016, the Notley government moved to one standard beer mark-up of $1.25 per litre regardless of company size, location or level of production. However, that policy change also came with grants to small, Alberta-based producers that effectively offset the new mark-up.

This policy put companies like Great Western Brewing in Saskatoon at a competitive disadvantage. A panel set up under the Agreement on Internal Trade – the agreement governing trade among the provinces – ruled that Alberta’s grant program discriminated against brewers from other provinces and was contrary to Alberta’s free trade obligations.

But rather than adjusting its policy, Alberta decided to appeal the ruling. There is a pattern of behaviour that is disturbing. And Saskatchewan will not abide by it.

Our opposition to the Government of Alberta’s protectionist practices does not arise from any animosity to the people of Alberta. On the contrary, I believe Canada is stronger with a strong Alberta. We have consistently defended Alberta’s interests generally, and the interests of the energy sector specifically, and will continue to do so.

But we will first and foremost defend the interests of Saskatchewan. That’s why we have taken this action. I would urge all Alberta residents to contact their provincial government and urge them to stop the protectionist measures and return to the spirit of the New West Partnership.

Free trade is in the best interests of both our provinces. It will be a good day for western Canada when the Government of Alberta returns to its traditional position for free trade and removing inter-provincial trade barriers.
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff
Old 12-08-2017, 09:58 PM

Bradley's doing some farewell grandstanding. He sure don't like Rachel's crew much. I wonder if the next guy can hold that coalition "not ndp" party together or even hope to win the next election. Since the Sk government's last budget I've heard more bitching about Brad's government than I ever have in the previous 10 and from what I thought were very staunch Brad Wall supporters.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 PM

Probably the actual issue

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-ban-1.4440545

While it's difficult for Saskatchewan workers to break into the Alberta market, Lipp said it is very easy for Alberta contractors to come across the border to bid on work in Saskatchewan.

Alberta drivers don't pay PST when registering vehicles as Saskatchewan motorists do — an unfair trade advantage for Alberta contractors, the Saskatchewan government says.

While Alberta workers are required to pay PST on their big pieces of equipment used on projects in Saskatchewan during the construction season, they haven't had to pay the provincial sales tax on their smaller work vehicles, like trucks, or on fuel or parts for vehicles.

"There's a bit of a disadvantage for the local guys because they do have to pay PST on everything that is involved in their construction operation for 12 months of the year," said Lipp.

Now Alberta contractors will be required to get Saskatchewan plates and pay PST when they register their company vehicles for the time they work in the province.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:38 AM

I've lived here in Alberta and Saskatchewan and can tell you that I've known a lot of Sask residents who work in Alberta but not a lot of Alberta residents working in Sask.
If Brad wants to make this the hill he dies on, it's gonna hurt the people of Sask a lot more if Alberta retaliates by doing the same thing.
Like a previous poster mentioned, I believe he's just grandstanding on his way out the door.
I have family in both provinces and they are of the same opinion.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Before you guys get too twisted up thinking it aint a problem here, I have worked projects in Regina and Saskatoon and Sask plates are in the minority there. The plates come from all across Canada.

Quebec has a reputation for keeping out workers and companys from other provinces, Alberta seems to want that special advantage.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I've lived here in Alberta and Saskatchewan and can tell you that I've known a lot of Sask residents who work in Alberta but not a lot of Alberta residents working in Sask.
If Brad wants to make this the hill he dies on, it's gonna hurt the people of Sask a lot more if Alberta retaliates by doing the same thing.
Like a previous poster mentioned, I believe he's just grandstanding on his way out the door.
I have family in both provinces and they are of the same opinion.
I don't think you understand what is actually trying to be accomplished. I'm not so sure either, but I think you are viewing it wrong. They aren't trying to keep Alberta residents off of their jobs. They are trying to keep Alberta contractors off their jobs. The people from sask working in Alberta are working for Alberta companies. Inversely the albertans working in sask are also working for Alberta companies not sask companies. They won't care if your personal vehicle has an Alberta plate, they want the company crew truck to have a sask plate. That is my take on the situation.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:25 PM

I think the previous posting of Brad Walls Facebook page makes it pretty clear. Alberta's present government contracting rules is making it look more like Quebec than the Alberta it was.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Duh....
Do like all the big commercial fleets do that work all over North America. Prorated License Plates for the jurisdictions for where you want to work..
You get insured through your insurance company to work in what jurisdictions you want to work in done.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 12-15-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Quebec has a reputation for keeping out workers and companys from other provinces, Alberta seems to want that special advantage.
Did Alberta ban Saskatchewan plates from Ab job sites, or was it the other way around?

Looks like it's going to court.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...h-saskatchewan

All of our tax dollars hard at work
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Did Alberta ban Saskatchewan plates from Ab job sites, or was it the other way around?

Looks like it's going to court.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...h-saskatchewan

All of our tax dollars hard at work
Saskatchewan has banned Alberta plates on contractor vehicles.

Saskatchewan claims Alberta has banned Sask plates, Alberta denies this.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:26 AM

go riders
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Looks like Sask has dropped this idea.