Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Banned

This powerplay needs some serious revamping. Connor on the half wall, cycling it down low to Drai every time doesn't work. Also having no threat on the blueline doesn't help either.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Tonight’s the big night!

Those cousin lovin’ Turds from Nashville are coming to Etown hot off a 7-1 drubbing of the Canuckleheads.

If we are victorious tonight....

Sky’s the limit! Cup bound!!!!
You were saying?

*cough*cough*

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-15-2017, 08:32 AM

....................................... whoa that sucked.........!

It's dead chicken swinging time..... where'd I put my voodoo shrunken heads...?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM

You're a good sport Bessie, that's a good one. If you need any voodoo dolls to poke pins in, I think Amazon sells a Mclellan doll......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-15-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
This powerplay needs some serious revamping. Connor on the half wall, cycling it down low to Drai every time doesn't work. Also having no threat on the blueline doesn't help either.

Not sure if last night was a good example of needing to change the power play. We had 11 shots on 2 power plays which is way above average for any team. The puck just wouldn't go in the net last night.

Preds had 4 goals, 2 of which were fluky and 1 was a 5 on 3. Preds had 20 shots on net and if a goalie is playing .900 save %, 20 shots equals 1 goal. And that is exactly what the Preds had last night was 1 hard earned and deserved goal. The Oilers on the other hand had 45 shots and couldn't put 1 past Saros. Even if the opposing goalie is posting a 940 save %, that should still give them 3 goals. I am actually starting to feels bad for the Coaching staff where usually I am fairly critical. But exactly what does a coach do or change when your team out shoots and out chances the opponent 2 to 1 and can't come up with the win. What are they going to do different in practice today?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Not sure if last night was a good example of needing to change the power play. We had 11 shots on 2 power plays which is way above average for any team. The puck just wouldn't go in the net last night.

Preds had 4 goals, 2 of which were fluky and 1 was a 5 on 3. Preds had 20 shots on net and if a goalie is playing .900 save %, 20 shots equals 1 goal. And that is exactly what the Preds had last night was 1 hard earned and deserved goal. The Oilers on the other hand had 45 shots and couldn't put 1 past Saros. Even if the opposing goalie is posting a 940 save %, that should still give them 3 goals. I am actually starting to feels bad for the Coaching staff where usually I am fairly critical. But exactly what does a coach do or change when your team out shoots and out chances the opponent 2 to 1 and can't come up with the win. What are they going to do different in practice today?
The amount of coaches they have gone thu as well as first round picks is laughable. This is all getting very old. This organization is consistant at being very inconsistant.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Old 12-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I didn't watch the game last night, but shots on goal isn't really a great stat to use to determine anything. As it really depends on where those shots are taken from.

Sure the oilers outshot them and probably should have had at least one, but if all the shots were from the outside no traffic in front of the net, the goalie is going to stop those shots 99% of the time.

Again I didn't see the game so I don't know if this is the case, but just cause you outshot your opponent doesn't mean you deserve to win.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I didn't watch the game last night, but shots on goal isn't really a great stat to use to determine anything. As it really depends on where those shots are taken from.

Sure the oilers outshot them and probably should have had at least one, but if all the shots were from the outside no traffic in front of the net, the goalie is going to stop those shots 99% of the time.

Again I didn't see the game so I don't know if this is the case, but just cause you outshot your opponent doesn't mean you deserve to win.
That is why I also stated they doubled them up on legitimate scoring chances as well. Shots were 22 to 4 in the first period alone.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
The Oilers actually outplayed their opponent last night, where the Shames just flat out got beat. Frustrated Oilers fan for sure, but definitely not "A Shamed" about last nights game.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The amount of coaches they have gone thu as well as first round picks is laughable. This is all getting very old. This organization is consistant at being very inconsistant.

It is very strange. If you look at all stats that normally result in offense, puck possession, shooting percentage, shoots on goal, quality scoring chance, offensive zone time, the Oilers numbers are better than they were last year and we should be near the top of the league in goals for.

The areas that have gone down are defensive play, goal tending, and penalty kill, but even with these slouching we should still winning games, just with higher scores like 6-4 or 7-5. But for some crazy reason we either get a pile of goals or none. Like I said, it must frustrating for a coach to try and determine what to change, when what you are doing should statically give you a win.

And having Talbot, Sekera, and Larson back wouldn't hurt us on the back end either.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
It is very strange. If you look at all stats that normally result in offense, puck possession, shooting percentage, shoots on goal, quality scoring chance, offensive zone time, the Oilers numbers are better than they were last year and we should be near the top of the league in goals for.
Where are you checking "quality scoring chances"?

Based on this article, the Oilers had 4 "Grade A Scoring Chances" while the Predators had 6. I haven't watched a game, but I get the feeling they are generating lots of shots but few quality chances.

Journal
Old 12-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The Oilers actually outplayed their opponent last night, where the Shames just flat out got beat. Frustrated Oilers fan for sure, but definitely not "A Shamed" about last nights game.
Lets check the actual stats:

-"Grade A Scoring Chances": Nashville;
-Overall crappy shots that have little chance of going in: Oilers;
-Giveaways: Tie;
-Takeaways: Nashville;
-Faceoffs Won: Nashville; and,
-Goals: Nashville.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Lets check the actual stats:

-"Grade A Scoring Chances": Nashville;
-Overall crappy shots that have little chance of going in: Oilers;
-Giveaways: Tie;
-Takeaways: Nashville;
-Faceoffs Won: Nashville; and,
-Goals: Nashville.
You are saying that the Journal reported that Saros only made 4 qualities saves last night??????? You are right, you didn't watch the game and obviously neither did the Journal reporter. I got home 1/2 way through the 2nd, and saw more than twice that in the last 30 minutes.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Looking forward to Larsson coming back that's for sure.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 PM

That looks like the face of Johnny Gaudreau every second shift

Quote:
Old 12-15-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
That looks like the face of Johnny Gaudreau every second shift

Isn't that the truth!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Old 12-15-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You are saying that the Journal reported that Saros only made 4 qualities saves last night??????? You are right, you didn't watch the game and obviously neither did the Journal reporter. I got home 1/2 way through the 2nd, and saw more than twice that in the last 30 minutes.
They are very different things.

I just don't think you're right that the Oilers are getting great chances and the only reason they aren't winning more is career backups play like the best goalie in the world when they play the Oilers.

Last edited by Trochu; 12-15-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I just don't think you're right that the Oilers are getting great chances and the only reason they aren't winning more is career backups play like the best goalie in the world when they play the Oilers.
The Oilers are making the back up goalies look good, by taking lots of perimeter shots, with no traffic or net front presence
Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Could the save percentage of these goalies just all be high because the players on the other team suck?
I will just leave this here
Old 12-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The Oilers actually outplayed their opponent last night, but the Soilers just flat out got beat by a back up goalie again.
Fixed it for you.

You can keep spinning it any way you want, but the Oilers are still in 28th place. Wrong side of .500 by a good margin. You want to keep talking about the 'Shames', as though they were in some inferior position....and yet they are 11 spots up in the standings and 7 points ahead. Kinda sad, really.

Maybe just pull up the big girl pants, step up to the microphone, and loudly proclaim the truth of it...

'The Edmonton Oilers are sucking yet again, and with all of their first over all picks and years of rebuilding, they are playing themselves right out of a playoff spot because McJesus really isn't saving them'.

At least that would be some kind of honesty, instead of all the mental convolutions and gymnastics to show how they are really Cup contenders, when they are most obviously not.

Cheers.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-15-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
McJesus really isn't saving them.
How can he really though?

According to Daily Faceoff he's currently paired with Jesse Puljujarvi, 15 career points, and Milan Lucic, maybe one of the slowest guys on the team? Which one of these pairs kinda stands out?

Ovechkin/Backstrom;
Benn/Seguin;
McDavid/Lucic; and,
Getzlaf/Perry.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

According to Daily Faceoff he's currently paired with Jesse Puljujarvi, 15 career points, and Milan Lucic, maybe one of the slowest guys on the team? Which one of these pairs kinda stands out?

Ovechkin/Backstrom;
Benn/Seguin;
McDavid/Lucic; and,
Getzlaf/Perry.
Add in Monahan and Johnny... Amazing to watch.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Ovechkin/Backstrom;
Benn/Seguin;
McDavid/Lucic; and,
Getzlaf/Perry.
I wasn't expecting him to save the team, and I'm not surprised at the results. Once his salary kicks in for real next year, they are going to really be pooched if they think they can find talent to play with him too.....

Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Add in Monahan and Johnny... Amazing to watch.
I didn't want to rub salt in the wound.

But yea, with Johnny 3rd in points and Monahan being 5th in goals, not to shabby.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Even a third string goalie is going to stop a shot 99.99%of the time from 40 ft out by a defenseman, with nobody between the goalie and the shooter. If you want to know what's wrong with the Oilers , for two or three shifts, ignore what the forwards are doing and watch their defensemen...it's pathetic.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:29 PM

The face of TOTAL DOMINATION

Old 12-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:

You do realize that all goalie save percentages are based on total shot, right? They are not based on "Grade A Chances". Right now Vasilevski is leading the league with .934 average. That means for every 10 shots he lets in .66 goals whether they are floaters from center ice or Gaudreau break aways. In the last 3 games we faced 2 back-ups that went 1000 on over 40 shots each. You can say that it is because they suck, but when you finish the game with 45 shots to their 23 or 24 (whatever it was) it is hard for the coaching to "bag skate" them at the next practice like you would do with a team that put no effort in.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The face of TOTAL DOMINATION

Yeah that was when he was snorting coke to ease the pain of being a Canuck!